Author Topic: RJ Jr? - Meet Bobby  (Read 1276 times)

Offline zman

• Woodinville Wonderland
RJ Jr? - Meet Bobby
« on: December 18, 2009, »
Hey guys, I have been over maxed out since Sept with life, work and the display, so I have not monitored the forums much at all. But, I just had to share this story with you.

Yesterday I got written up in the Seattle Times. So naturally the visitation stepped up a notch. Around 9pm, enter Bobby a 7yr old, his Mom & Dad and Sister.

Guys I tell you, Bobby will be hanging out here in a year or so. This kid is RJ in diapers. He had a electronic DIY resume that embarassed me (granted not hard to do), but would rival some in these forums for sure. He was tossing out terms like 555 controllers, switch circuits, voice animation LED light up costumes, it was amazing. It was no BS either. His parents were just rolling grinning and rolling their eyes as if saying, you should live with him. They won't let him use his soldering iron cause he is so young, they run it, or he wires bread boards. He consumes Electronics for Idots type books and has his own project library of things to come because he either can't afford them, or is still learning about them. This kid is a sponge when it comes to electronics. He asked technical questions that MOST ADULTS don't even get to. Needless to say I was entertained for at least an hour.

He has my contact information and I told him I know a few forums he has to start hanging around. Watch out guys.

I hope everyones displays are running flawlessly. Merry Christmas to all of you! You guys are great.
I have the CLAP - Christmas Light Addiction Problem - Do you?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
LOR - Lynx - Sandevice - J1Sys - Madrix - Advatek
~ Christmas is not a time, it's a state of mind ~

Offline OkieJay

Re: RJ Jr? - Meet Bobby
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, »
Be great to have him around.  We all try to watch our manners, so their is no reason why this would not be a safe place for a bright kid.  He may make me fell a little slow at times, but I will hitch up my pants and get over it.
Jay

Offline brandonj

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, »
wow, that is really impressive for a 7 year-old! I hope his parents/teachers/friends realize the potential and don't hold him back (books, money, drugs, schooling, etc). 
Kids like this really need to have the right resources to keep them learning, or they get stuck with just what they have and get bored and move on.  Maybe someday he can find a mentor of some kind that will help him keep learning about this stuff.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, »
Amazing sounding kid!  Sounds like lots of fun to listen too.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tpctech

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, »
That is Great!!

We need kids like this!  At work we have had several really good high school kids over the years working for us that are really interested in the trade.  The we have had others that just want to collect a paycheck!!  It is really great to see kids that are engaged in the technology.  I started pretty young under the guidance of my very technical dad.  I got my Ham license (with code) at 10 years old well.....now addicted to technology!!   My 8 year old daughter helped me assemble PC boards this year and is interesting in sequencing for next year!!

I will be a pleasure to discuss our addiction with him here at DLA!!

PS The local paper also found our display and was in the paper this morning.  My guess the traffic will increase tonight!!

KEN  "tpctech"

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, »
That is Great!!

We need kids like this!  At work we have had several really good high school kids over the years working for us that are really interested in the trade.  The we have had others that just want to collect a paycheck!!  It is really great to see kids that are engaged in the technology.  I started pretty young under the guidance of my very technical dad.  I got my Ham license (with code) at 10 years old well.....now addicted to technology!!   My 8 year old daughter helped me assemble PC boards this year and is interesting in sequencing for next year!!

I will be a pleasure to discuss our addiction with him here at DLA!!

PS The local paper also found our display and was in the paper this morning.  My guess the traffic will increase tonight!!

KEN  "tpctech"

Awesome news about the paper.

I have seen a few cars here not nothing that heavy.

Bill