Author Topic: And I have Blinky Flashy!!!  (Read 1246 times)

Offline BrianO

• Worst thing about moving....you have to reprogram!
And I have Blinky Flashy!!!
« on: December 24, 2009, »
Oh the trials and tribulations of our hobbies.  After parts problems, relearning how to solder, learning the software, and waiting too late into the season, I did it!!  My show ran all night flawlessly!!  Many thanks to all the folks who have helped me along the way!!  RJ, Wesley, Bill, Kenneth, rrowan!!.  I would have been really stuck without your guys' support, patience and help.  Finishing the project, bringing the kids outside, listening to the shrieks of joy, my three year old hugging onto me like I just brought him his very own firetruck and brought Spongebob to dinner, truly, truly brought tears to my eyes.  I cannot thank you guys enough.  That fifteen minutes of my boys dancing to the music, pointing and ooooing and ahhhing made the last four weeks of no sleep and stressing all worth it.  I cant wait till I can get started on next year!!  Thanks again, and thanks to RJ for sharing with all of us.

Brian

Offline BrianO

• Worst thing about moving....you have to reprogram!
Re: And I have Blinky Flashy!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, »
And to share one more thing, and I know this is probably the wrong place for it, So I will also put it in Troubleshooting.  On the workbench, I had no issue with the 3.3v working.  I did use a 7805 from the shack.  Tested everything, and all worked fine.  Mounted in the boxes, tested again, all fine.  Took boxes outside, 40 degrees outside, wired everything, applied power, and 3.3v was not working.  Freaked a little I did (in my lamest Yoda voice)  The only thing that changed was the temperature!!  So, I took my wife's hairdryer, warmed the board up a little, and 3.3v lit up and board booted.  has not shut off since!  Has been outside two days, and still going! 

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

Great on getting things started.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline sirwesley

• Sirwesley.com
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, »
Awesome Brian! 
I must say I didn't think you would be able to pull it off, starting so late in the game. :p  But props to you and your dedication. 
Congrats!
-Wesley
Winston Salem - NC

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, »
Hi Brian,

That is just awesome. Its a special moment when your children are so happy.

Congrats on getting so much done in a short time.

Thanks for sharing

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline gjbankos

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Oh the trials and tribulations of our hobbies.  After parts problems, relearning how to solder, learning the software, and waiting too late into the season, I did it!!  My show ran all night flawlessly!!  Many thanks to all the folks who have helped me along the way!!  RJ, Wesley, Bill, Kenneth, rrowan!!.  I would have been really stuck without your guys' support, patience and help.  Finishing the project, bringing the kids outside, listening to the shrieks of joy, my three year old hugging onto me like I just brought him his very own firetruck and brought Spongebob to dinner, truly, truly brought tears to my eyes.  I cannot thank you guys enough.  That fifteen minutes of my boys dancing to the music, pointing and ooooing and ahhhing made the last four weeks of no sleep and stressing all worth it.  I cant wait till I can get started on next year!!  Thanks again, and thanks to RJ for sharing with all of us.

Brian

The kids - that's what all of this is all about.  You brought a tear to my eye reading that.  Well done.