Author Topic: Express Ver 5  (Read 18988 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Express Ver 5
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Stupid question #233315:

What does the Data Link LED actually indicate?

John

Ok, Stupid Answer #233315 ....   That you are receiving DMX data.  ;D

Really not a stupid question just playing along!

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline lortiz

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2009, »
Suggestion.

I always use all my LE's in 20 amp mode by bridging the 2 AC traces and use only one of the AC inputs and probably most the users out there (my guess) do the same.

Can these be bridged by default and have the user cut them (easier to do) in case they want the 40amp configuration ?

Just my feedback based on experience....

Barbara Sher - "Doing is a quantum leap from imagining."

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2009, »
Suggestion.

I always use all my LE's in 20 amp mode by bridging the 2 AC traces and use only one of the AC inputs and probably most the users out there (my guess) do the same.

Can these be bridged by default and have the user cut them (easier to do) in case they want the 40amp configuration ?

Sorry, I disagree,

Even though I don't use anywhere near 20 amps, I still have 2 12ga. wire power cords from the controller that are plugged into 1 20amp GFCI which is fed from a 20amp switch. If I need higher power in the future I just need to add another cord, I don't need to reconfigure my controller board.

Offline lortiz

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2009, »
Bisquit476, that is exactly my point.

Since adding a jumper to bridge the 2 AC traces is allowed (it is in the LE manual), and many users don't use near 20 amps in 1 single board, then ease the building process by having the jumper/bridge as a default configuration.

In your example when requiring more power you would just cut the trace and make it 2 individual AC circuits.

Barbara Sher - "Doing is a quantum leap from imagining."

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2009, »

In your example when requiring more power you would just cut the trace and make it 2 individual AC circuits.

Which is my point, with your configuration I would have to cut the trace to go high power. It would require me to remove the board from the case (or mounted location) to cut the trace, then add a 2nd input wire. My way, I've already done the board work, all I need to add is a second power receptacle and I'm good to go.

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2009, »
i am assuming that it detects if data is actually being sent to the board or not

Stupid question #233315:

John

Offline austindave

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2009, »

I really don't like the idea of cutting a trace to split the AC feeds. Since the trace would have to be wide (to handle the power), making sure there was a sufficient gap would be very difficult. Think about the case where you were feeding the board with two different legs of your house AC (that is, the two different sides of the typical US 220V power) - which could very easily happen if you're connecting it to two separate power breakers (circuits)... You'd have to have a gap big enough to prevent a 220V arc - and if you didn't have it clean / wide enough, your Blinky-Flashy would become spectacular Flashy-Smoky-Burny (probably irrecoverably). Seems a very high risk / high price proposition - given the relative simplicity / cost of populating / depoping the jumper.

--Dave
Austin, Texas - "BubbaLand"

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2009, »
Stupid question #233315:

John

Ok, Stupid Answer #233315 ....   That you are receiving DMX data.  ;D

Really not a stupid question just playing along!

RJ

i am assuming that it detects if data is actually being sent to the board or not

Forgive my ignorance, but don't we have this already in the DMX LED subsequent to running a Tst?

Oh... but that's only after a Test mode.

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2009, »
sorry I have to disagree with your suggestion. It's better built this way and very easy to switch. Why bother even bridging it to make a single 20 amp when all you need to do is connect the ac #2 to the ac#1 and make it as a single 20amp board. In any case, the design is perfect the way it is (of course even better with the new additions).

Suggestion.

Offline BrianO

• Worst thing about moving....you have to reprogram!
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2009, »
I agree John.  All I do is run the power cords from both sides of the board, and then use a little splitter on the end of the extension cord feeding it.  problem solved.  If I needed more power, all I would need to do is run another extension cord from another circuit from the source. 

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2009, »
Hey Brian,

Just fyi, not sure if you were referring to Thaiway message (John) or mine. If mine name is Kenneth  ;D hehehe

I agree John.  All I do is run the power cords from both sides of the board, and then use a little splitter on the end of the extension cord feeding it.  problem solved.  If I needed more power, all I would need to do is run another extension cord from another circuit from the source. 

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2009, »
While I like the input on it, The reason it is setup to require you to jumper it to single input is for safety. It is way more safe to do it this way then the way you suggest. Much time was spent on this when I was asked to make it handle twin feeds. I originally did not want to do it as there is risks with twin feed setups. I did it but used this method to limit the risks to a very resonable Level.

This is one change we just can not do. It will need to say as it is or we would have to go to one single feed without the second input. I also am not sure that the majority of the users do jumper it as I know most of them and see their stuff and I would say its slightly the other way.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2009, »
I agree with keeping the inputs separate.  My loads per LE are fairly small and I can easily run both sides of one LE using a 3 way adapter on the end of my 12ga extension cord,  In fact in one spot I actually am running two LEs off 1 12ga extension cord and am still way under the max amps available.  That's the beauty of LEDs.  The only big amp draw I have is my mini trees where 8 minis plus lawn light takes 10amps, but I can still run both sides off a single 12 ga extension cord.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline BrianO

• Worst thing about moving....you have to reprogram!
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2009, »
Sorry Kenneth, I was scrolling and typing, reading your post, and his name.  I remember your name....geez....blinky flashy didnt hypnotize that out of me yet....lol.....now where did i put my pants again?

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2009, »
Stupid question #233315:

John

Data.

Brad
2007- 32 Ch Grinch, >6K lights...2008- 128 Ch Freestyle, 23,000 Lights, 2009- Lynx Freestyle & Lynx Express, 26K Lights....Wife thinks I'm nuts!