Author Topic: Equipment Help?  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
Equipment Help?
« on: December 27, 2009, »
Hello. Im new to both this site and the blinking lights world. I have been doing some reading on the forums to try to get a btter understanding of what needs to be baught and put together. So I have been told by many people on here that the best one to start out with would be the Express. My question is this...

What all do I need to buy to get everything working? Yes I know how to follow directions and how to soder and computer programing is a breeze fore me so thats not whats bothering me. Since Im such a noob to this I want to be sure I get everything that I need to get. Don't want to buy a puzzle and be missing the last piece so to speak.  ???

Thank You in advance!
Even as an adult I find it difficult to sleep on Christmas Eve.  Yuletide excitement is a potent caffeine, no matter your age.

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
Re: Equipment Help?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, »
Hello

Do worry there is plenty of time to make sure you have everything you need for 2010.

One option you also need to decide on, is "Do you want wireless".  Below are some basic items you will need.

There is a co-op for the Express that will be starting Jan 1 2010.  The Express Co-Op normally contains A.  The Express PCB, B. Express PCB Parts.
This will leave you with needing a case for the LE.  This can be obtained from the web site YourBroadBandStore.com You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

After you have the LE built, you will need a way to get DMX into the controller, DMX is the language that the controller uses to operate.

Lynx Dongle or Entec Pro, For this I can only recommend two dongles, 1.  Lynx Dongle (Your can get a PCB From RJ.  Send him a PM.  Normally there is no Co-Op for parts.  The parts list can be found in the Wiki).  Or the Entec Pro (This is a commercial DMX dongle a little pricey but works just fine)

After you have the LE and a DMX Dongle you will then need some sequencing software like Vixen (Free) or Light Show Pro (Licensed Software).

Don't forget that you will need power cords for the LE itself and power cords to attach the light strings to the LE controller.  Most of use use spools of zip wire with what is called vampire plugs, or we get lamp cords from places like Lowes when they go on sale.

To Recap

1.  Get the LE from Co-Op's the parts become a lot cheaper and it is all presorted and ready to assemble.
2.  Get a case for the LE
3.  Get a dongle to generate the DMX feed to the controller
4.  Get some sequencing software
5.  Get some power cords

6.  Wireless option (Decide if you want to go wireless).  A co-Op will start when version 2 of the wireless has completed Beta.  The advantage of wireless is that you do not have to run cables to the controller form the Dongle.  Instead the the DMX feed from the Dongle will need to be plugged into a Transmitter.

Wiki

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Bill

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, »
Thank You wbuehler for your post. Yes We do plan on going wirelessly. So the Lynx Dongle seems like it will be my best bet.

So with this coop on Jan 1st all I need to do is send a message to the Coop manager tell them that I need the stuff for the express?...Hmmmm thatjust seems to easy. LOL why didn't I think of that?

My thaught was that I was going to have to have a complete parts list.

Once again Thank You!
Even as an adult I find it difficult to sleep on Christmas Eve.  Yuletide excitement is a potent caffeine, no matter your age.

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, »
No problem.  And yes when the co-op starts an announcement/opening post will be made in the co-op section. This post will explain what will be in the co-op and what needs to be done to place an order.
 ;D