Author Topic: Express vs Freestyle  (Read 7752 times)

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
Express vs Freestyle
« on: December 27, 2009, »
Why would one choose to order an express over the freestyle for the seemingly difference of about 15 bucks according to the wiki?

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
Re: Express vs Freestyle
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Why would one choose to order an express over the freestyle for the seemingly difference of about 15 bucks according to the wiki?

While the express is only 16 channels and the FreeStyle is 128.  There are many differences between the two than just channel count.
The Express is a complete controller, While the FreeStyle requires external SSR's to operate.  The Express also has advanced features such as Light Curves, LED Display Readout, Wireless Ready.

It all comes down to what you plan to do with your display.

Bill

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

The LE currently has the light curve ability, and some people like 16 channels in one location.  The FS has 128 channels controlled from one point, but then needs SSR4s for each 4 channel group for the AC connection.  The LE is newer, and has different buttons and readouts, vs the older, but functional FS.  I have both.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, »
So, Now in my possession are a TON of Christmas lights for my 2011 Mega Tree which I plan to do a regular normal vertical light megatree on the bottom of the new spiral trees that I've been seeing running around the outside.  So, it will be very channel heavy.  I'm looking at using a freestyle to control just my megatree as I'm expecting to use about at least 32 channels for the tree if not more if I decide to use some horizontal effects as well (all of this is precursored by my ability to accomplish it).  This would also let me use my main pole as a lighting effect with the ability to have more channels there.

Now...the reason for the post....what are the pros and cons that I haven't thought of.  I'm sure there are DIYers out there that have done this and have feedback. 

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, »
For a mega tree my choice would be the Express

Reasons:
1 - There is a  LE coop there won't be one for the Freestyle - part will be more
2 - There will be less wiring (cat5) The Freestyle need a cat5 to each 4 channel ssr4
3 - Each SSR will need power, max out 32 ssr4s plus one for the Freestyle
4 - In one central area a self contained controller works better

I have both the Freestyle and the Express. If you need to control small group of lights spread out around the yard or house then I think the FS and ssr4 works better. In a small area with a larger channel count the LE wins hands down. If you are mixing different types of lights on your tree then the LNT of the Express also makes the tree look better. Add in onboard wireless then you just need to add power to each LE. A ssr4 without dmx can't do wireless, the FS could be wireless but you will still need cat5 to each ssr4

Just my 2 cents (no charge :D)

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, »
I had the same question my first year. You will find the answers always starts with it depends on your personal display and preferences.

My mega tree is 96 channels and 4 more for the star. With the help and advise of many people here, I ended up using 7 expresses. Partly because for MY display I felt it would be easier to have everything centrally located and for me it really minimized the number of wires running around. One of the other deciding factors for me was the cost of getting that many SSR4 water tight enclosures.

For my uses, I am very glad I went the express way. My mega tree is all LED and the express v5 handles them much better. I am also very happy to have the Light normalization curves in it.

As I said it is definitely your choice, but I am very happy I decided on the Express route. I am sure there are some FS users on here that will give you the benefits of going that route.

-Jeff

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, »
See...I knew someone would have some feedback that would help make up my mind.  I hadn't thought about the expense of the enclosures for the SSRs for all this.  I was thinking about cabling mainly when I was thinking about going to the freestyle...but with the feedback from here, I could see how I could simply use one to two LEs and just have some extra long cords and they would reach out to my mega-frame.  Like the light curves too...hadn't thought of that benefit.  And with wireless, I can do one wireless and daisy chain the rest from there. 

Jeff...do you have any videos of your tree?  I'd like to see how you utilize your 96 channels...maybe I need to think bigger for channel count than I'm planning on? 

With the small amount of space I have in my yard, next year the show will be focused on the smart strings and this mega tree as well as making it a walk through experience to my backyard so I can get all the Christmas stuff from my old home in Oklahoma and get it here for everyone to enjoy!  I want to make sure what I do is good quality and I don't think...if I only would have added this...LOL

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, »
my question is always the price. What does the freestyle cost to have the full 128 channels operational.
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, »
my question is always the price. What does the freestyle cost to have the full 128 channels operational.

Cost wise I would say the Express would be much cheaper to do 128 channels

Express
8 Express, 8 Cases, 16 Input Power Cord, 128 Output Cords

Freestyle
1 Freestyle, 32 SSR4, 33 Cases, 33 Input Power Cords, 128 Output Cords, 32 Cat5 cables (between Freestyle and SSR4)

You will also need a lot more extension cords to power up the SSR4s

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline cubbieco

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, »
Just for kicks I went through the costs.  The point where they are equal is at roughly 48 channels.  Here the Express (based on the last coop) is $201 and the Freestyle & SSRs is $191.89.  This is pure coop price without cases, cables, etc.

For a full 128 the freestyle is $404.29 and the express is $536.

This is my first year but it seems to me that if you get your cat 5 in specific lengths from monoprice that the extra cableing wouldn't be much.  I don't know anything about the light curves, LED performance, etc.  Trust the others for those opinions.

Offline rm357

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, »
This is one of those discussions where you need to start with the plan for your show.

Hands down, the express is a better device. In addition the light curves allow you to mix different brands and types of lights and set the curves so that they still match as they dim together.

However, if you need 4 or 8 channels over here and 4 or 8 channels over there, there is just no easy way to get there with an express without a bunch of extension cords, or a half used express... Of course there is always the option of adding more lights  ;D

The freestyle on the the other hand caters directly to this type of need. It is also convieneint if you are doing 4 channel trees (RGBW) and want to have a single power and single control cord for each to make setup easy.

In the end though, I think the smart strings are going to make everything else obsolete except for the larger bulbs (C7, C9), which we don't have an equivalent for... yet. In a side by side, bulb to LED comparison, the SS appear to be brighter than the mini-lights I used last year...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, »
also, you could just add the dmx option on the ssr4's and not have to use the freestyle...

I'm using my freestyle for something different, and i'll post once i get closer to completing
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rm357

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, »
I did some of that too... I had 12 mini-trees with 1 channel each spanning 44 feet across the front yard. I ran 1 power wire and used vampire taps for the 3 DMX SSR4s. With the little bit of wire on each tree, I was able to use just the 6 foot cords coming out of the SSR4s. No extra extension cords required. With 1 express in the middle there would have been 2 each of 2, 6, 10, 14, 18, and 22 foot runs. Since I used 6 foot cords on the express, the middle 4 trees would have been fine, but I would have to have additional extension cords for all of the others.

For the SSR4's connected to the freestyle, I also ran just a couple of main power runs with a vampire tap for each SSR4.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline cubbieco

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, »
This is my first year and I'm starting everything from scratch.   I've already got 2 LEs built & ready.  I'm planning on getting a Freestyle as soon as there is a coop for it.

Basically I'm going to have a run of 4 channel mini trees and the SSR4 would be a perfect controller in them.  If I have 10 4 channel trees and a dozen or so 1 channel candy canes that will be 52 or so channels.  For these I will be using the same brand of lights so the advanced features of the express won't be that big of a deal for me.  Basically since I'm on a shoe string budget price will be the issue here.

4 LEs for 52 channels (with channels to spare) $268 coop hardware price
13 DMX SSR4s $282.23
Freestyle with 13 SSR4s $202.51

Originally I was going to go all Expresses but It is getting hard to afford them all so I'll use a LE for my smaller spread out pieces.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, »
so, you're having 26 ssrs?   13 ssr, and 13 ssr with dmx?

if you're using the ssr4's with the dmx addon, the freestyle is not needed at all.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!