Author Topic: Is Vixen good enough for everyone?  (Read 2743 times)

Offline castortiu

Is Vixen good enough for everyone?
« on: December 28, 2009, »
Is Vixen good enough for everyone?

I have been using Vixen for almost two months now, and it is a really good product, it allows controlling every detail for every channel, I won’t lie, I have only 64 channels and I spent about 1-2 hour for every minute of sequence. Probably I’ll be upgrading to 128 on 2010 and adding several more songs, I can’t imagine the amount of work that it will require for all this.
Is like Vixen is made for professional light controlling but doesn’t help the newbie or a person that doesn’t have too much time on his hands.

The preview is great, but there is a big separation between what is preview and what is editing.

I was looking at the sequence files .VIX and they are just XML files with base64 encoding, so it is not difficult to generate .VIX files.

What do you think about a software that generate.VIX files that can be loaded with Vixen, but this software allows to create the whole sequence in the preview screen, basically there is no preview screen.

The user upload an image and works on the image itself, basically adding lights, channels and setting timing and effects, all this with drag&drop and setting the properties for the lights/channels.

At the same time the audio is available and synchronized with the working area, so you could scroll the position in the audio file and see the working area changes.

I think the learning curve will be minimal, also since the file can be exported to Vixen it allows to even more fine tuning if necessary.

Take a look at the attachment, this is part of a project that I did for a company couple years ago where it allows to create IVRs (Interactive voice response, those annoying system that hold you in the phone going everywhere for 20 minutes before speak with a real person) just using drag&drop and setting properties for the sequence. Usually it took about 4 days to create an IVR setting fields on tables in a DataBase, and with the interactive software could be made in 2 hs getting the same result.

The attachment is a video of part of this project and I put in there with balloons what could be done to make it work to create our light sequencing.

Take a look at the attachment (it is a video that runs on a browser, tested with IE, don’t know about Firefox) and if you want I’d like to have some feedback about.
1-   What software are you using to create the sequence and how good it is?
2-   Vixen meets all your expectative about the sequence creation?, do you think is too time consuming.
3-   What do you think about a software that could provide more abstraction for effects and light control, as for example, In Vixen you create a ramp to control the intensity at specific time, versus a software where you give an instruction to a light as for example to fade from the current intensity to off in 3 seconds.
4-   What would you like or problems that you had that took too much time to resolve and how do you think it could be archived without need to set intensity for every sequence period as 25ms for example.

Basically is kind of the concept to work with Adobe Photoshop versus work with a raw bitmap setting every pixel color.

In Adobe Photoshop you create layers of effects what you want then you export to a bitmap as a final result. If you try to achieve the same result without using Photoshop it requires an immense amount of time working on the raw bitmap changing pixel by pixel.

So the idea is not create a software to replace Vixen, Vixen is fantastic and I love it, the idea instead is to create a software to make  things easier but the final result is a .VIX file that can be loaded by Vixen.

What do you think about it, if this software exist you would like to use it, or you think Vixen has most of what do you need?

Like a brute approximation I think I can make this software in about 6 months since usually I don’t have too much free time (freeware of course :)).

Other idea in mind is to create the same software but instead do it completely in 3D so the user can upload several pictures to create a 360 degree view and then the user can put the lights at any position in a 3D space, so a preview could be seen from any angle since the camera can be reallocated at any time, even when a sequence is in progress, that will give the whole picture how your display will look even before put the lights on the street.

This would need more time of development, but not much more, since once the engine is created for 2D it can be fully reused for a 3D environment.

May be if many people are interested, a 2D version can be made and if the response is good I could make the 3D version of it.

What do you think about this, I would like to give my 2 ½ cents to the DIY community!!

Gus.

P.S.: I don’t know how rich is the plug-in SDK in Vixen, but I don’t think the SDK will allow me to store my own tags and attributes in the XML file .VIX and be persistent even when the final sequence is generated, in which case I would need a different software which allow to save the files with my own extension and then allow to be exported to Vixen.

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Re: Is Vixen good enough for everyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

If you put together software that works for people, they will use it.  A few people are doing some things to generate files, but I don't recall seeing any that will do it at this level.  If you write it, they will come.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline lortiz

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, »
Anything that helps create sequences easier, I'll use it.

Go fo it!!

Leo
Barbara Sher - "Doing is a quantum leap from imagining."

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, »
as mentioned in both comments above, anything that can do the job more efficiently and easier and i'll use it.

Offline Greg

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, »
Sounds like an interesting concept and I'd certainly use it if available.

For that matter I'd be pleased if there were rudimentary drawing tools available for creating and updating vixen's preview. Like drag/drawing constraints, snap to, object grouping, copy, paste, etc. so I'd be pretty easy to get on board with anything that streamlines .vix sequence creation.

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline tombmatt

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, »
I would try it.

Tom

Offline castortiu

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, »
I started the project to try some basic things to see how useful it will be, I have many ideas that I'd like to put in practice, so far the idea is that there is no absolute timing and everything is base on effects given to a channel or a group of channels and how the effects are concatenated.

For example you can define an “object” with X amount of channels, objects are premade or you can do your own grouping channels / lights and shapes, as for example an arch.
Then you set an effect for this object, for example a sequence effect.

There will be a library of effects that can be updated often to include as many as we need.

In the sequence property you can define the lapse time when the sequence must go to the next channel and the type of transition between channels, as for example fading transition.

Also you define the total iterations the sequence must last.

At the end of the sequence a trigger can be set to fire another effect in another object and so on.

So for example if you have 4 archs you could set with a few clicks a sequence that start in arch 1 and finish on arch 4.

Same with trees, canes, single strings, etc.

Also the idea is to allow to attach objects for a specific time to the audio wave, and then set audio effects so you could attach an object to the audio and set a effect as for example a voice filter which can activate the channels when voice is detected or a Fourier transform to show channels reacts to the change of frequency.

If later you made a modification in some object there is no need to change the timing for everything since everything is relative to the start and end of the previous/next effect.

After you finish the whole program if you like what you see then you can export the visual program to a .VIX file that can be loaded with Vixen.

Let’s see what come out of the first approach.

Gus.

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, »
Sounds Good

Bill

Offline mo001

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, »
I think it would be interesting.