Author Topic: Wireless Ver2 update  (Read 23423 times)

Offline joshuashu

Re: Wireless Ver2 update
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, »
I am assuming that once beta is done their will be a coop? Looks awesome RJ, thanks so much.  :)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If this can be both a TX and RX, should the RJ45 Jack location be labelled as "DMX" or "DMX IN/OUT" rather than just "DMX IN"?

Maybe, but for the $100 setup fee I have to spend each change or proto I think it is ok the way it is for now.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, »
Would it make sense to provide an optional connector for an external, possibly remote, high-gain antenna (for transmit)? Or is that impractical / unnecessary?

Yes it is impractical and gets away from the Ver 2 which is to keep the tuned system as it is preventing users induced range issues.  The extra output power should make up for the standard antenna but nor for a very directional ant. Those needing that are techincal enough to make it work.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, »
RJ,

You noted the EX/RX was going to change a little, will the changes extend the range of the unit. Reason I'm asking, I haven't built my boards yet, so if there are changes that will enhance the range of the unit, I'll just wait for the new boards before building. Thanks,

Bill

Ex/RX changes will likely only be leds added for indication of signal ect and firmware update but can not promise until beta is over I have been know to start over on designs.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, »
This looks good. It will be easier probably for newer people to build too seeing as they order two of the same thing and change a simple jumper.

A question though, what would the approximate range be?

Can't answer that until the beta is well along on it.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, »
Got the code for the TX/RX ver2 pcb ready for testing just waiting on the PCB's to arrive.

RJ

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, »
This is going to help us newbies a bunch!!
I can't wait to get started.
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, »
Heres a picture of the Ver 2 wireless Proto.  I do not have the Rj45 jack on it yet as I am hunting for one and it was bedtime. The leds at the bottom will stick out of the case. The Red one is a power led and the Green one is a status indictator.

RJ

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, »
Sweet,

Looks like a nice easy build

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline voyageurs60

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, »
the description of the new capabilities and the view of the new PCB is great... this will be a real improvements... thanks for all the hard work - Dan
Light in Peace - voyageurs60 (Dan)

Offline ponddude

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, »
This looks great...but one question.  Is the amp strong enough that we no longer need an antenna?

Greg
Greg

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, »
This looks great...but one question.  Is the amp strong enough that we no longer need an antenna?

Greg

That is the first one built. RJ still needs to do testing on it to see how it works.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010, »

Greg

Yeap!

I just finished testing the range comparing it indoors with walls and such in the way. The new module using the stronger amp does indeed out performed the original transmitter even though we are using a pcb on board antenna. The original modules had no power so I had to add an amp and this meant hacking the antenna off and rednecking a connection to the amp. Now the connection could not be perfectly tuned so there was losses. Then the amp I used had an output of about 40 MW in perfect conditions which we were not so likely we had about 30 mw output or less.

This unit has a perfect matched antenna with a 100mw amp and so it out does the other hands down. The antennas are much less direction on it also so this is also a benifit.

The other issue we saw was variations from builder to builder on the range. Most got about what I was seeing but some had very bad range. Like 50  - 100 feet. Since this is what the unit with no amp does I expect they were having issues with the amp being damaged.

This gets away from the builders needing to modify the Rf module and leaves no room to detune it. The range should be repeatable on every unit.

This unit cost less and has better range. On top of this the new units amp works when receiveing also which the original did not so when using a Ver 2 TX with a ver 2 standalone RX the two should be very impressive for the cost. The testing I just did was using a new Ver2 TX and a version 1 EX/RX receiver on an express and the difference was very noticeable testing in the worst situation (walls/doors/ect in the way).

I also want to point out that a few people I spoke with that were not happy with the range of the original had unrealistic goals for the units. I had posted many times that they are not suppost to be able to sit in your brick house going out through the walls and make it through trees while you stand front of it. These are line of site units. They should be able to see each other. You can get away with some stuff but do not over estimate what the microwave signals can go though.

Mount these things outside up high looking out over your show and they will work as they did for most that used them this way. These new units will let you get away with more but to be reliable use them correctly. Do not expect them to go through cars and other solid metal objects ect.

As happy as most users where with the wireless they will love these new units.

RJ

Offline tbone321

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2010, »
This sounds great so far.  Any idea when a possible coop will happen?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2010, »
Great report RJ, thanks for sharing.

Ron