Author Topic: Wireless Ver2 update  (Read 23395 times)

Offline crazybob

Re: Wireless Ver2 update
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2010, »
That makes total sense now. For a minute there I was a little worried that everything I've learned here was completely wrong  ???

Offline testylefty

« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2010, »
Hi RJ:

Can you speculate a timeframe on when you think the wireless ver2 will be out of the testing phase and ready to go with a coop purchase?  I can only speak for myself but I believe we  all are anxiously waiting this release. Thanks.

Colin

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2010, »
All depends on the Beta Testers ok to go ahead. I have not had anything to tell me it would not be very soon.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2010, »
Two beta testers have given it their blessing to proceed with release. Waiting on two more to answer.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2010, »
All four beta testers have given the thumbs up for launch. I asked them to post some info on what they found in this thread to update all of you. We hope to start a coop shortly for it.

RJ

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2010, »
I will be ordering on this coop.

2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline egenoup

« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2010, »
MOOOOOOREEE  COOPs.... MOOOORRREEEE COOPs...   ;D

I will need 6-10...

Where is the COOP?   <----- joke (as in "where is the beef?")

Charles

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2010, »
Since RJ suggested,  I'll post a little on  my results.    

After assembling the new transceiver  and a couple new beta LE-RX, I created a moving lighting  violation and drove around the neighbood to see what success I would have.  The picture below should say it all.    The leaves were already starting to show on some trees so there is plenty of green barrier that the signal was attempting to get through.  At the top end of the path, the view of the truck through the turn-around (about 100 ft further than the line)  was fairly clear and only when cab of the truck got in the way of the direct signal did the signal degrade, but it picked back up at the point indicated.   On the south end just a few feet beyond the indicated line end point, is a street intersection,  the signal was compromised as the truck entered the intersection but not completely dead.   Here the signal was passing through one house and very large pine trees.  

The set up on the truck was being driven by two LE's, with a ver 2 LE-RX receiving the signal on one, and a version 2 transceiver, set as receiver, on the second.  It was my impression that the ver 2 LE-RX was as good a receiver as the transceiver.   The ver 1 LE-RX is equal to the Ver 2 LE-RX,  minus the LEDs, so I did not worry about taking the Ver 1 out on a run.   Based on the results, I suspect that the Ver 1 external receiver with the external antenna, may actually be good for a little more distance, but I did not test this theory as being able to go the equivalent of 2 full blocks  was more than enough.  

Other obsticles,  I did find that standing just a few feet directly in front of the receiver, would significantly disrupt the signal.  So putting the receiver in the middle of a crowd may not give the desired results.  

Final thought........   This is gonna be a FUN year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Say tuned! <pop..

Larry
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, by vairmoose »
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline egenoup

« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2010, »
Thanks for the details...  <res.

Charles

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2010, »
Thanks for the heads up guys,  Can't wait for the new coop  <la..

Offline testylefty

« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2010, »
I am very much looking forward for this Coop to start.  This will be my first Coop I participate in.  Can you just purchase pcb's?  I ask because I have parts all over the place that I want to use up.  Thanks.

Colin <np..  <md..

Offline tbone321

« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2010, »
Usually RJ will order extra boards during the coop and then offer them for sale after the coop is completed.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2010, »
Yes, my plan is to have a PCB option.  But all details will be in first post at the start of the co-op.   My laptop is down right now but I hope to have more details once I am backup and running.

I'll also post some test video, once I am back to a PC.

As for pricing I do not have any yet, so please do not post about it.

Thanks

Bill

Offline kylec

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Lake Stevens
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2010, »
I'm a little late to the party, but here is my report.....

I was able to spend quite a bit of time playing with the new wireless gear, and I was very excited with what I found.  The range on the new Tx was at least doubled for me over the V1.  With the V1 Tx, I had quite a few dead spots in my yard, and with the new stuff, there was not a place on my property where I didn't have full signal.  I did a couple things that where a little extreme like place the Tx in a metal box, and then put it down in the crawl space, and I still had a good signal both inside, and outside of the house.

The beta gear was also 100% compatible with the V1 stuff with the updated firmware.  I had no problems using the 2 together.

Overall, I would say the V2 equipment is a big upgrade to the V1.  In my opinion, the added strength of the Tx makes it worth it to replace your V1.

Kyle   ;D ;D

Here is a copy and paste of my range testing...................
Excess is Success
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline kylec

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Lake Stevens
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2010, »
I finally had a chance to do some range testing today.  The Tx is screwed to a fence post in my side yard, about 5 ft off of the ground.

The first picture is the stand alone Rx.  The second picture is the Ex/Rx Version 2.

The closest Red arrow to my house was directly behind an SUV.  I backed up about 20ft and got a signal.  The only location where I had 0 signal was the arrow closest to the semi truck on 20th.

Key:

Blue arrow = Tx

Green arrow =  Good signal, no skipping jumping, or stopping.  I would place a controller here for my show.

Purple arrow = Weak signal, when controller is held in perfect position it works about 99%, but may skip a little bit.  I might place a controller here if I couldn't find a better option.

Red arrow = Very weak signal, lots of jumping.  Placing a controller here would be a waste of 16 channels.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, by kylec »
Excess is Success
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login