Author Topic: Reasons to upgrade?  (Read 1359 times)

Offline Blackbeard

Reasons to upgrade?
« on: December 30, 2009, »
I've got 4 LEs (1 V2 and 3 V3s) and all are assembled. I anticipated having more LEs, so I purchased 6 total receiver boards and 2 transmitter boards. I have parts for one each of the TX and EX/RX. None are built. I'm probably going to buy 4 more LEs in the next coop, so I'll need 2 more RX boards.

Let's assume that the cost of the new RX/TX combo PCB + parts will be close to the cost of just the parts to populate one of my 5 EX/RX boards that I don't have parts for yet, if that's a fair assumption.

Is there a reason I should hold off on assembling and installing the RX or TX boards and wait for the new V2 wireless if I anticipate no problems with the original wireless boards' functionality?

steve

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
Re: Reasons to upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, »
The LE Receiver will have no major changes done to it this year.  The only change that will be made to the LE Receiver will be an indicator LED for DMX signal.
If it were me I would build the LE Receivers that I had parts for.

Your Transmitter could still be used, the version 1 wireless hardware will be compatible with version 2.  The new Wireless Transmitter/Receiver Combo will be a more powerful unit though.  You could built what you have and also pickup a new combo unit.  That would give a spare Transmitter which having spares is always a good thing.

Bill

Offline Blackbeard

Re: Reasons to upgrade?
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, »
Thanks Bill,

I think compatability wasn't really an issue.

It was just a question about functionality and the future of the wireless that made me think I might be better off to order new PCBs and populate them since the parts count might be cheaper overall. If I recall, the parts for the V1 EX/RX was only about $19, so it wasn't a big deal to catch those up with parts. I think I read where the new V2s might be cheaper, though, than the V1s, so there'd be reason to consider newer for that reason alone if the difference ended up being the cost of a V1 PCB. I'm sure we won't know costs until it's out of beta. If power is going to be the only difference, with no added gizmos, when considering functionality, it seems immaterial in my case.

steve

steve