Author Topic: Now the season is over for a few days ...  (Read 2670 times)

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
Now the season is over for a few days ...
« on: January 01, 2010, »
Anybody have issues with Vixen 2.5?   anyhthing we should be aware of ....

Just curious as I didn't not upgrade last season ....

thanks
Merry Lightmass
Bill  AKA blearning AKA BL

Offline deplanche

Re: Now the season is over for a few days ...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, »
KC has indicated that there is problems with it and even put a converter out to go from 2.5 back down to 2.1, and I think he is pretty much done with trying to fix 2.5.  Still working on upgrades, just not along the same line due to the problems.  So I wouldn't recommend upgrading to 2.5 because hopefully by next year we will be using 2.6. :)

Offline Garyi

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, »
Would you recommend not wasting time with 2.5 then? I have just started sequences in 2.5 and do not want to waste the time if it does not work that great.

Thanks
Gary
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login DMX.gif

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, »
I ran my show from Dec. 10 with only minor problems on 2.5.0.8. I had four instances of the show crashing: not Vixen, not the computer; I'd get the dreaded Com Port error, which I could cancel and then use Restart Timers and all was well again.

This was 64 channels. I went to 2.5 to gain access to the dimming curve feature, which I ended up not using, but once I'd upgraded and wasn't really having problems, I didn't see the need to go back.

There was one other problem with 2.5.x that I noticed: the test channels function didn't work. I merely launched 2.1 when I wanted to test channels.

I believe KC has said that he's going to skip any more of the 2.x series and go straight to 3.x. He has always provided sequence-updaters to bring users from one level to another if there's been a file-format change, so I'm sure he will in the future.

The impression I got was that the 3.x series will have separate applications for sequencing and show playing (but maybe I just dreamed that one up).

\dmc

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I ran my show from Dec. 10 with only minor problems on 2.5.0.8. I had four instances of the show crashing: not Vixen, not the computer; I'd get the dreaded Com Port error, which I could cancel and then use Restart Timers and all was well again.\dmc

That is a vixen issue. It does it on the Enttec Dongle also so I think that elimanates a hardware issue with it and I have not heard or have I seen my LSP do it but I have only played some with it and do not have hours and hour on it like some(still working with Vixen). Vixen appears to try and open the com port with it open or something. Likely the newer version will take care of it.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline sirwesley

• Sirwesley.com
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, »
I ran Vixen 2.5.0.8 this past season.  I had 3 sequences running under one program on repeat.  I had no problems at all, once I got everything configured correctly using the USB DMX Dongle. 

Some of the newer features don't work quite right, like cross-fading between sequences, which I'm not even sure that was a new feature, just never got that working.  If I tried to Cross-fade, I would get the COMM/Router error.

I'd say, go ahead and upgrade!  But I will definitely be looking forward to a 2.6 or 3.x version in the future (hopefully before next season).
-Wesley
Winston Salem - NC

Offline gjbankos

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, »
I had inconsistent problems with running the schedule.  I would occasionally get com port errors.  I would occasionally get nothing - the show would kick on, but nothing.  I didn't trust it at all.

On the other hand, my show ran fine on 12/31 and 1/1, the last day.

But if you don't have to upgrade, I wouldn't.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, »
Looks to me like the best thing to do is to continue to sequence using 2.1.14.  There may be some new functionality in the later releases, but at least the main programming will be done.  You can always bring those sequences forward to 2.5 and I'm sure that it will be possible to import or just use them with an new release just as you can move them from 2.1 to 2.5 today.  Remember also that you can have both programs installed at the same time and play with each separately.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, »
I guess the verdict is in then .... thanks for the replies ...  Keep with what I have installed and wait for the new release to come around ....

Now let's all sequence *SMILE*

Merry Lightmass
Bill  AKA blearning AKA BL