Author Topic: Possible LE upgrade  (Read 2404 times)

Offline deplanche

Possible LE upgrade
« on: January 01, 2010, »
I am not sure if this is possible or not.  I think it would be, but I have no idea how to write the code to do it.

- Make one of the "modes" for the LE, an all channel on mode.  When you cycle thru the different modes, it could be listed on "ON" and if you hit select, it would turn on all of the channels and they would stay that way.  The next mode could be "OFF", that turns all of the channels off.  It would be great if it could remember the last setting if it was powered down, sort of like it remembers the starting channel of the board, but not essential.

- Taking that one step further, it would be great if you could turn on or off each channel from the controller.

I have found this year, that several times, I have had to run all on sequences to fix strings of lights, to make sure things look good, or just because i wasn't "permitted" to run the light show before thanksgiving.  I had been tossing around the idea of adding a bypass switch to each controller, that would either allow power to go to the LE or directly to the outlets, so i could just flick the switch to change it.  But I couldn't figure out an easy, safe, or cheap was to do that, and then I got to thinking, it could easily be added into the brains of the board.  I looked briefly at trying to figure that out, but found quickly that is WAYYYYY beyond my knowledge.  So I am hoping someone here could help.

Thanks as always,

Jon

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Possible LE upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, »
Hi Jon,

If you are using Vixen whats wrong with test channel?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, »
straight from the board testing is easier then carrying a laptop or for those that don't have one to run inside and turn it on and then off.

It's just one of those features that would be great to have and it's all part of the code. I like the idea.

Hi Jon,

If you are using Vixen whats wrong with test channel?

Rick R.

Offline deplanche

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, »
The biggest reasons I asked for this are:

1 - When hanging lights, I like to have them on to make sure everything is working.  But I do this before I am usually set up for the full show.  So the dongle and all the wireless stuff needed to make the show work isn't up and running yet, so using Vixen to test the channels wasn't an option.  Yes, poor planning on my part!

2 - I was very behind schedule getting my sequencing done.  So I was spending my evenings working in Vixen to finish things up.  But I didn't want the house to be dark when I was going this.  So I ended up uplugging several lights from the controllers and plugging them into extension cords, so the lights were static, but it was something going before the shows were done.  I couldn't run a sequnce in vixen with just those channels on all the time because I was using it for the rest of my last minute sequencing.  Again, poor planning on my part.

Neither of these would be something I would suggest redesigning a proven board for.  But since I think it's only a code change, it could be worthwhile to those of us who are a little less organized than we think we are. :)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, »
I am doing some firmware work on the express to roll out so what if I did this would it meet your needs.

If I made the test seqence show the test leds for DMX and ZC , etc and then after 10 seconds or so go to all on until you change modes? Would this give you what you need?

This would not be too hard to make happen.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, »
Hi Jon,

Thanks I understand your problem now.

I have a desktop computer just for the light show. So I can leave it in test channel with all channels on and about 50% while setting up. This way I can check everything. My laptop I use for sequencing so I can always make changes to the seq along with having backups of my sequences. This is what works for me.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, »
RJ,

How about adding an extra push to the Setting button in test mode.  Push the Select button to start the test, the LE runs though the test sequence then shows the standard DMX, ZC where it stops now.  The next push of the Select button turns all the channels on.  Push the Mode button to move on to the channel setting option.

Ron

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, »
As you Wish!

Can someone beta test this firmware? It has the added toy requested.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

Confirmed on V2 LE.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, »
I am happy to see someone asking this as I am in need of this too.

It would be nice to go to this mode, external to the box somehow as well.

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline deplanche

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, »
Thanks for the quick update.  Unfortunaltely all my LEs are under a foot of snow, so probably won't be reflashing for a few weeks. :)

Thanks again.

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, »
confirmed working on LE v3

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, »
Confirmed On Version 3