Author Topic: Snubber?  (Read 3702 times)

Offline Blackbeard

Snubber?
« on: January 02, 2010, »
I was reading the description of the new and improved LE V5 and noticed mention of a snubber circuit not being needed on this version. I've got 4 pre-V5 boards, and although I'm just migrating to LEDs, I have not needed to know about this snubber circuit.

Can someone point me to a link somewhere that describes what I'd need to do if I decided to put LEDs on my older LEs? I was under the impression that all LEs handled LEDs without anything extra being needed. For now, I'll plan on putting what LEDs I have or acquire on the newer LEs, but that might not be completely possible if they're spread too far apart.

Thanks,

steve

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Snubber?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was reading the description of the new and improved LE V5 and noticed mention of a snubber circuit not being needed on this version. I've got 4 pre-V5 boards, and although I'm just migrating to LEDs, I have not needed to know about this snubber circuit.

Can someone point me to a link somewhere that describes what I'd need to do if I decided to put LEDs on my older LEs? I was under the impression that all LEs handled LEDs without anything extra being needed. For now, I'll plan on putting what LEDs I have or acquire on the newer LEs, but that might not be completely possible if they're spread too far apart.

Thanks,

steve

Best talk I have seen on this is here :

They do work fine with leds but all triac based dimmers can run into this. In fact this thread is about people using LOR and adding them. You may not have any issue and then you may see a random flash once in a while with some leds. The more per channel the more likely you will. This hurts nothing if you do not need it and if you do now its already on the pcb for almost nothing as opposed to having to spend a bunch on plugs and ect. Hope this explians it.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline lortiz

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, »
Do the normalization curves need to be re calculated again because of the addition of the snubber resistor ?
Barbara Sher - "Doing is a quantum leap from imagining."

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, »
Do the normalization curves need to be re calculated again because of the addition of the snubber resistor ?

No, it is like plugging more lights in.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying