Author Topic: Mac based program to control lights  (Read 12704 times)

Offline thshadow

Mac based program to control lights
« on: January 03, 2010, »
Anyone interested in seeing if we can do this...

Offline thshadow

Re: Mac based program to control lights
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, »
Okay I have some programming experience on a Mac. I haven't really taken a good look at Vixen or the other Windows based program. Both should run fine on Parallels or Boot Camp for a Mac so there may be no real need for this. However it would be kindda cool to have a native based application to do the same thing. There are programs native to mac which could make the mixing of music, etc a much easier process. I have written programs here to control AV equipment using serial commands without issue as well as the same with RPC. From what I am gathering the Lynx use DMX or some variant of it so if we can figure how to send standard DMX commands out of a Mac like you would Rs232 or similar then Bingo this should be a piece of cake.. maybe ;)

Anyone interested in giving this a shot or at least brainstorming some more on it. One of the larger software companies for DMX control makes an iPhone app for such... so figure behind the scenes it couldn't be too hard in Cocoa to get this going.

Anyway open to thoughts on this... or is this a better left alone area given the easy of Parallels on a Mac.

- Mike

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, »
I still live in the world of much legacy G4/G5 Mac equipment, so no Boot Camp or Parallels (nor Snow Leopard) for me.

And I've read on other boards that some people have problems running Vixen under Boot Camp or Parallels (others, not so much).

While my personal preference for a sequencing tool that runs on OSX probably outweighs my ability to ascertain whether it would be beneficial to invest time in developing such an animal, I'm here to help in any way I can.

\dmc

Offline tylyview

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, »
I also am in a spot with an older mac (powerbook g4) that I can still use and could possibly take some time learning some programming for a mac, however any software that would be produced would probably need to be "universal" I'm guessing. I have no access to an intel mac.

The usb drivers for the dongle have a mac version I can install and test when I get a dongle built.

Offline coachers

• Coachers
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, »
All you need is a rope, about  4 foot long will do. A 3lb rock and a lake. If you don't have a nearby lake,  a cliff will do!

Tie rope around Mac, then throw rock...... problem solved!

Just sorta kidding,  >:D

I'm a PC
May you have Good Health...
Great Wealth.....
And your stein never be empty.

Offline thshadow

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, »
Ok for those of you using non-Intel based macs how do you drive your displays now? Universal wouldn't necessarily be that much of a problem... I originally was thinking more towards like a mac mini idea due to form factor and size; cost, etc... but I can easily see how a G4/G5 pre-Intel could very well fit the bill as well.

I saw another program listed on one of the forums somewhere in which the program sends DMX control commands via a web interface. It works on a mac so that might could be used as a translator behind the scenes and then just develop a pretty front end... I need to really spend some time on the DMX stuff; once I get a better understanding of how that works then I can be more useful on the mac development side of stuff.

Anyway leave the discussion open for a bit and see who else is interested.... while I figure out DMX a bit more.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, »
Hi Mike,

I use a mac mini (normally at work, sometimes at home) and have problems with it over heating and shutting down. Just a concern if you were going to buy one to use as a show computer. Besides that we are all in favor of more software options to control our lights.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, »
Mike... for sure I'll watch this and see where it goes.  I'd love to see something for Universal.

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline thshadow

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, »
Ok let me keep researching DMX... but in the meantime... are all our Universal people on Leopard? or are we talking a universal the goes back farther than that Tiger, or ....?

- Mike

Offline satskier

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, »
I'd start with leopard.  ;D

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ok let me keep researching DMX... but in the meantime... are all our Universal people on Leopard? or are we talking a universal the goes back farther than that Tiger, or ....?

I'd prefer Tiger, but that's just me.

\dmc

Offline tylyview

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, »
I'm also on Tiger but plan to upgrade to leopard eventually when disk prices drop a bit more.

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, »
^ same same
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline tylyview

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, »
Anyone want to start brainstorming on this idea?
Where can you learn about the DMX language?

As I said before I am willing to help out with this on my legacy(g4) powerbook, beta testing, writing code, designing graphics, whatever needs done.

Offline thshadow

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, »
Well I am looking into that... DMX seems to be something of a modified serial command in essence utilized only in AV equipment.... what I am wondering if sending some type of serial command to the USB port how the dongle converts that into a DMX command; if it actually modifies the structure of the command like a translation or if it just changes it in terms of timing and sequencing... not sure exactly how to express that notion correctly... for me I am looking to find DMX resources or see if I can figure out how Vixen deals with sending out a command to the USB port... if I can understand how Vixen deals with the USB to DMX process then I can understand how to send commands to the port like Vixen... however still waiting on a few parts to arrive to build my dongle so I can actually see more about how that process works... By trying to send serial commands and seeing what comes out the other side... it will give me a better idea of what the command structure must look like in terms of sending it in the first place. However right now it is like flying blind without a dongle...