Author Topic: Matrix control?  (Read 3071 times)

Offline aERonAUtical96

Matrix control?
« on: January 03, 2010, »
So I was browsing the DIYC site and came across a thread talking about building an LED star (Sawyer Star as it was referred).  There was discussion of using 2 8 channel DCSSR boards to control an 8x8 matrix of LEDs.

So excuse my lack of electronics knowledge, but could the MR16 be configured to control an 8x8 matrix of single LEDs to allow individually addressable LEDs?  Could something like this be done?

Is it possible to use a combination of channels to represent a distinct addressable column/row in the matrix?  For example, the matrix could be wired like the following:

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8
9      A
11            B

So the idea is that to control LED A, turn on channels 1 and 9, B would be 3 and 11, etc, etc.  But I'm just not sure of the wiring.

Please let me know if this is even possible.  I know the LED tricks would do something like this, but I'm having problems even finding materials to build a board.

Thanks,

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
Re: Matrix control?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, »
It is an idea worth considering...    The first issue would be power...     juice to turn an LED on depends on the color    in order for the system to work, you'd have to have enough to turn the LED on when both channels are on...  but not so much voltage for a single channel to turn it on....      but enough voltage to cause the triac  to work correctly...   ..   assuming a single MR16 controller...   that means the voltage would have to be controlled and in the 1.75 - 2.25 volts  (assujing red LED at 3 volts)...   would this be enough for the Triac to work properly?...   

on possible fix would be to add a resistor to each LED...  allowing for more voltage per  channel...   

one question would be dimming...   because of the way dimming is worked...  is the channel to channel timing close enough to allow dimming to work...

Just some thoughts..

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, »
Biggest issue off the bat is that the MR16 controller switchs the Ground only. So switching Ground on to both sides of an led might be less than bright enought to be useful. 

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, »
I'm the guy who dreamed up the Sawyer Star and I considered a Lynx MR16 but once I built one and got intimate with it, RJ's "off the bat" problem -- it switches only the negative (or ground) side -- pulled it out of contention (but hey, I'm using it for another project and in 2010 there will be a second Lynx MR16 in my show as well).

So that's why I'm seeking people to help me build the Sawyer Star (like Tom Sawyer and whitewashing the fence, I can't do it alone). If you're interested in the idea or have something to contribute, don't hesitate to add your voice to

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

\dmc

Offline ponddude

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, »
Funny you bought this up.  Ever single the LSP guy posted the video of his Matrix thing I have wanted one, just a DIY version.  His used d-Light Firefli's and thats too plug and play for me.  I have been working on a system that uses RJ's Freestyle and my version of a DCSSR.  My DCSSR's have full opto isolation and one board will control 36 lights or 12 RGB lights.  I created the pixels as well.  All the proto's have been ordered and someone over on DIYC gave up one of their Freestyles, as RJ had none left.  I am just waiting on Mouser to ship stuff and I need to put away all of my current Christmas stuff and this is going to be my first project.

I really was concerned about how I was going to control it, but LSP  allows you to take any controller and make it an RGB controller.  That is what I plan on doing with the Freestyle.  I will keep you posted but like I said, I need to get the 09 display down first.

Greg
Greg

Offline blickensderfer

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, »
Greg,

That was me that had an extra one.   Did you receive it yet?  I'm on both forums with the same username.

Dan

Offline ponddude

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, »
Yes Dan...it came today.

Thanks again!!

Greg
Greg

Offline blickensderfer

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, »
That was quick..  I sent it out Sat. about noon.