Author Topic: Confused about wireless  (Read 2641 times)

Offline LAF

Confused about wireless
« on: January 03, 2010, »
OK, so this may be a dumb question, but I must confess I am quite confused about how the LE is used with wireless. The diagrams posted a while ago at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login were helpful, but I am still not sure how the LE is used with wireless. I've looked everywhere, including all the posts in the wireless DMX section, but I still do not have a good grasp on this.

Can someone please clarify how the LE is attached to a receiver, I presume the EX/RX (but am not sure - maybe the Rx?)?  The LE has a space for "wireless module" but I am not sure how anything gets attached to it.

Thanks for clarifying things...

Larry F.
Larry F.

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Re: Confused about wireless
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

The LE can use the optional EX/RX (Express Receiver) that plugs directly into the LE board, where the wireless module spot is left after the LE is built.

Or you can use the standalone DMX Receiver that turns the wireless signal into a wired DMX signal that plugs in to the DMX input, just as the normal wired signal would.

In either case, you need a DMX transmitter, plugged into the dongle, or elsewhere along the wired DMX line.

Keith

"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, »
Hi Larry...

I try to help here..

There are two ways to get DMX data to the LE via wireless..   the EX/RX and RX  (as you noted)..   there are advantages to each..  

The EX/RX is mounted directly to the LE PCB  ( look to the right of the PIX chip... ).   Use of this module completely eliminates the need to have a cat5 data cable connected to this one LE.   Here is a picture of the EX/RX Module mounted to the version 4 LE board.  No additional connections required.  

With the external receiver (RX),  there is a cat5 data cable running from the receiver to the "IN" on the LE.   The external receiver also needs power (provided via walwart).  

Larry

(Keith beat me to the "send") 
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline ponddude

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, »
If you look closely at the picture of the LE in the wiki you will see there are two connectors by the wireless module box.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The EX/RX has the male version of that connector and plugs directly into those female jacks.  If you wanted to go completely wireless, then you can plug an EX/RX into every single LE that you have.  I have one EX/RX and then I daisy chained the controllers after that with cat-5.  I believe you need a certain version of the LE to do this.  I have version 4 and it works perfectly.
Greg

Offline LAF

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, »
Thanks for all the replies. It all makes sense now. The picture I was looking at (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) did not have the connectors for the wireless.
Larry F.

Offline LAF

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, »
With the external receiver (RX),  there is a cat5 data cable running from the receiver to the "IN" on the LE.   The external receiver also needs power (provided via walwart).  

Larry

What do you mean by "provided via walwart"?

LF
Larry F.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, »
walwart is a nickname for the ac/dc (sometimes ac/ac) black transformer that powers the electronics. Normally plugs into a outlet attached to a wall.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, »
of topic, nice clear image shot

Hi Larry...

I try to help here..

There are two ways to get DMX data to the LE via wireless..   the EX/RX and RX  (as you noted)..   there are advantages to each..  

The EX/RX is mounted directly to the LE PCB  ( look to the right of the PIX chip... ).   Use of this module completely eliminates the need to have a cat5 data cable connected to this one LE.   Here is a picture of the EX/RX Module mounted to the version 4 LE board.  No additional connections required.  

Larry

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, »
in lamen terms. External power. Think of the power cable that comes with your phone to charge your phone. That is similiar to a walwart. Provides power to the unit by plugging it into the RX (phone in this example)

Larry

What do you mean by "provided via walwart"?

LF

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

I.E., a wart on the wall, walwart...

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager