Author Topic: Does Version 7 need to be on all TX, EX/RX, and RX?  (Read 2009 times)

Offline Blackbeard

I've finally broken out my transmitter and receiver stuff from the last coop. I understand that the transmitter PIC with the white toenail polish on it needs to be reflashed with V7 of the firmware (I received one of the first mailings of the coop).

What version of firmware was actually on the PICs included in these first mailings on the TX and EX/RX and do I need to reflash the EX/RX PIC also?

One other thing I found that might be of help to others (and this is not to be taken too critically, please). I have found tons (maybe just a few pounds) of posts that mentioned the problems with these PICs, and they all mostly point to a specific post as to where the solution is found. Trouble is, the solution wasn't found there. I only knew of the problem and solution because I was involved with that particular coop as the problem arose shortly after shipment. I think the solution of reflashing should perhaps be put into the post under Troubleshooting (the IMPORTANT first one). As it stands, the problem is described, discussed, but the solution isn't mentioned, only that it was solved a few weeks ago.

I'm sure most don't delay building things as long as I do, and probably kept up with their projects a lot better than I. I was trying to review the problem now that I'm finally getting around to it, and found it difficult to research. I'm also aware that recent PIC don't have this problem, and won't concern most, so it's sort of a selfish request to update the solution post.

Thanks for listening.

steve

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Re: Does Version 7 need to be on all TX, EX/RX, and RX?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

This may help.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline Blackbeard

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, »
Thanks Keith,

I thought that question sounded familiar :-[. I even reread that post just before I sent the latest.

So, I'm going to reflash both of my PICs, although I'm not sure it says to do the EX/RX ones.

steve

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, »
To be sure and safe all wireless should be on the same version of the firmware

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, »
I doubt if there is ever a penalty to keep all your pics at the latest firmware level.  Since it is pretty quick and simple to do it, why not?
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Blackbeard

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, »
I discovered one reason - my programmer doesn't appear to handle the PIC24 family. Looks like I'm going to need some help again......

steve

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, »
How many Pic's do you need of each?
I have some spares I can flash and swap with you.  Or you can send yours back to me.

Bill

Offline Blackbeard

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, »
Bill,

Thanks for the offer. I've got 8 boards (2 TX and 6 EX/RX) but only ordered parts for one of each. I'd like to order the other 6 PICs and then send them to you, if that'd be OK. I'm not sure when I'll get around to ordering them, but it'll be soon.

Does that sound OK with you?

Thanks,

steve

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, »
Sounds good, when I get the 6 I'll add two of my spares to it, flash them and send to you.
If you like you could order 8 instead of 6 this way you would not have to worry about sending me back any, and it would also give you some spares.

Bill