Author Topic: Are there any ethernet DMX dongles available which are supported by Vixen ?  (Read 3225 times)

Offline SteveCourt

For Xmas 2009 I was running Vixen with a USB-DMX dongle (by RJ).
For 2010 I was planning to relocate my windows pc as a virtual machine under VMware ESXi which doesn't support either USB or serial ports.  This makes it hard to use my existing DMX dongle, so I'm on the lookout for an alternative.

I suspect there are a variety of ethernet DMX products available, but I don't know which ones are supported by Vixen.
If there aren't any existing drivers available, is there a guide on how to create one ?

Regards, Steve.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Hi Steve,

I have been using vmware server v1.04 for the last two years as my show computer. I use RJ's dongle with no problems at all. I assume you are using a newer version and doubt they would remove usb from it. I just enabled usb function and plugged in the dongle. The computer is running a version of linux and the guest is windows xp pro. I downloaded the windows console client and remote into it for any configuration needed or rarely for a restart of the virtual computer.

If esxi does not support usb ports than why not just get vmware server?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline cBell

• Christmas in Brewster
JEC and MPH are working on an ArtNet (DMX over Ethernet) interface for a project they are developing.

From JEC's site (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)
A fully assembled, tested and burned-in Art-Net (DMX over Ethernet) controller.  This design is still under development, (although its very promising now) and we are moving to Beta software shortly.   We aim to to drive up to 2048 nodes – 12 universes of DMX data – from a single controller.   Expect this in Early Q3 2010.  This will be a ‘professional’ grade product with no shortcuts taken.  We are also planning an additional module for the controller which will have an MP3 decoder and SD card for stand-alone playback.  Pricing to be announced.

Don't believe the hardware's been released yet, but they do seem have a working ArtNet plugin for Vixen.
-Chris
Follow my journey: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

From that description, it sounds like that is going to be an expensive solution. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline EvilJesus

Steve,

We use ESXi on large scale in the company, and have a few pieces of software that require the use of a security dongle.

The only work around we found is using a Wireless USB hub.  You can actually dedicate this to one VM, and then you can configure it to auto detect new devices.  :)

A quick search on eBay reveals a few new and used at a cheaper price (also there are other, I believed wired, versions on ebay from another manufacturer).

Hope that helps!

-EJ

Offline richardb

Hi Steve,

I have been using vmware server v1.04 for the last two years as my show computer. I use RJ's dongle with no problems at all. I assume you are using a newer version and doubt they would remove usb from it. I just enabled usb function and plugged in the dongle. The computer is running a version of linux and the guest is windows xp pro. I downloaded the windows console client and remote into it for any configuration needed or rarely for a restart of the virtual computer.

Rick R.

Rick
as an aside. Which flavor of Linux do you run?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Hi Steve,

Rick R.

Rick
as an aside. Which flavor of Linux do you run?

Debian - Sidux

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required