Author Topic: LED Traffic Signal Lights - Dimmable?  (Read 1332 times)

Offline rogerwh

LED Traffic Signal Lights - Dimmable?
« on: January 10, 2010, »
I saw it mentioned on some other forum but can't recall where - Friend of mine works for the city here and said he could get me several of the LED lights out of the LED traffic signals.  Don't know too much about them or LED in general.  Are these typically dimmable or just off/on?  Run off 120 or some other voltage?

Offline kylec

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Lake Stevens
Re: LED Traffic Signal Lights - Dimmable?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, »
Hey Roger,

I have a couple dozen of the led traffic lights that I have been playing with.  I used a few red and green ones for Christmas, and I used the yellow ones (more like orange) for Halloween.  The ones I have are just standard 120V, and they dim very well with the LE controllers.

One thing I found is that the green ones are a different color green than the Christmas light leds, so they didn't look very good.  The reds are a perfect match though, so those are the ones that I got the most use out of.

Kyle
Excess is Success
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rogerwh

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, »
You been using them as wall wash or other?  I seem to recall on another forum that someone mentioned using them for a wall wash but I didn't think they would be bright enough.  Then again, I don't have any to play with yet.

Offline kylec

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Lake Stevens
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, »
Yes, I am using them for wall washers.  I have 2 sizes of the stop lights.  12"ers, and 6"ers.  I also have MR16 wall washers, and I would say the 12" stop lights put out about 4 times as much light.  The 6" ones are at least double the MR16s.

Kyle
Excess is Success
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jap813

• if you believe it, you can achieve it
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, »
Is there a way a "normal" person can get their hands on some of these?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, by jap813 »

Offline rogerwh

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, »
See them on EBay all the time.  In fact just bought some green ones as my friend could only get me red right now.  They normally run around $10.00 per plus shipping from the EBay stores but if you can find an auction or "make offer" get a better deal.  I bought 5 at $8.00/per and belive i paid about $10 total in shipping.