Author Topic: freestyle vs. express  (Read 1982 times)

Offline C and J irrigation

freestyle vs. express
« on: January 08, 2010, »
so i want to get the lynx express but ive noticed that it doesnt use the typical SSR configuration. what i mean is that in the lynx freestyle you have a central control and from there you have ethernet cord out to boxes of four channels where you hook up the lights. so does the lynx express you have a central control and you have extension cords running out to each individual channel? any clarification much appreciated.

Offline knguyen916

Re: freestyle vs. express
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
so i want to get the lynx express but ive noticed that it doesnt use the typical SSR configuration. what i mean is that in the lynx freestyle you have a central control and from there you have ethernet cord out to boxes of four channels where you hook up the lights. so does the lynx express you have a central control and you have extension cords running out to each individual channel? any clarification much appreciated.

yep. Express has the SSRs built-in on board.
Not being too detailed something like below

Freestyle ---Cat5---> SSR (plus power source to SSR) ------> Lights
Express   ---Power-> Lights

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, »
man you guys here reply fast... yeah i was just reading about the express and it seems like it has more accessories and options compared to the freestyle. so the express is essentially cheaper because you dont have to buy the freestyle and then buy and build the ssr's. that being said is there any easy way of running extension cords out for each channel. like use zip cord and make my own?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, »
Sure you can if you want to but remember that if you make the output cords to long, then you will regret it when it comes time to store it off season and you are trying to wind up 16 long cords.  Many use 6 foot extension cords and cut off the male end to make the output cords which make it easier to store and then create the required length extension cords with zip cord.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, »
i love the idea, why buy grounded extension cords for something thats ungrounded when you can just get a roll of zip cord and make your own.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, »
Hi C & J

Normally the Express is right next to the lights in the yard. No real need to run long cords from a central location to the lights. Its easier and cheaper to run one cat5 cable or even easier to go wireless then to run 16 cables.

Not sure if this will help or not to show how a LE or Freestyle works in a diagram You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, »
thanks that did help. i assume you can "daisychain" the lynx express.  could you wirelessly link two lynx express controllers or would it be cheaper to go wireless from the dongle to the first controller and cat5 to the second.

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

A bit of cable from a LE to another will be cheaper in the short run than an extra wireless LE/RX unit, but the LE/RX is fairly inexpensive.  Once you already have a TX, then you can go either way.  Each LE can have it's own LE/RX option put on it, or use wired connection from another point, as you desire.  Daisy chain some, if they are near each other, or use more LE/RX or standalone RX units.

And just sitting the LE down where you want it, with only AC power wire to concern yourself with, is easier than looking for ways to run wires.  Both work.  Use and enjoy either way.

Keith
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, by KeithTarpley »
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, »
It does appear to be that way and that would be wrong.  The SSR requires its own AC in just like the SSR4-DMX.  It also shows a SSR16-DMX and I really don't know what that is and it shows the splitter with 4 outputs when the current splitter has been reduced to 3.  Perhaps the creator of this diagram could update it and have it re-posted.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline austindave

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, »
I took the liberty of modifying the diagram, making the changes noted and then some.

Changes made: DMX Splitter changed to 3 outputs (required daisy-chaining another EX), changed Lynx's to Lynx EX's, replaced SSR-16 DMX with another Lynx (EX), & added a separate AC feed for the SSR4's (though for space reasons, just added a note that this consists of between 1 and 32 AC feeds).

I'm sure additional editing is warranted, but this should be a good start.

--Dave
Austin, Texas - "BubbaLand"