Author Topic: Regulator replacement and LE board layers  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Blackbeard

Regulator replacement and LE board layers
« on: January 09, 2010, »
I've got a question about the Lynx Express board itself. I started replacing the 3.3V regulator on my LEs. The first one, a Version 3 board, went very well. The second one, though, seemed to develop a problem. It appears the thru-hole plating came out with the heatsink. Since this is just the heatsink, it'll probably not affect much. The regulator came out cleanly.

The question is: how many layers are the LEs made of? Should I be concerned with the thru-hole plating on the regulator holes? They're awful small, and I didn't really notice plating on them once they came out, but I've got a few more to repair. If there are more than 2 layers, I could see a problem perhaps. I realize that testing under power will ease my worries, but I'm using a 45W solder sucker, and it's a lot of heat for such small holes. (Maybe I should go to a smaller iron, huh?)

Another thought...Were the V2 LEs shipped with the same regulator as the V3s? I'll check the BOM, but it may have been changed already, so I'm just asking. Got a V2 LE, and it's all channel-wired, so it'll be a little more effort.

Thanks for any answers.

steve

Offline tstewart

• Global Moderator
Re: Regulator replacement and LE board layers
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, »
The boards are just two layer boards.

Todd

Offline cmorda

Re: Regulator replacement and LE board layers
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, »
I definitely don't think less heat will help you.

The less time you apply heat to the board the better off you are going to be. A heat sink will dissipate a lot of heat. That's what it is designed to do. You will do more damage with an underpowered iron taking forever to heat up the joints. I know from experience :) .

Chris
Ventura, CA