Author Topic: Looking for a pre-programmable 16 channel controller.  (Read 3005 times)

Offline OkieJay

I am building an animated wire frame Christmas Cannon that I want to run independent of my synchronized light show.  It will require about 16 channels and dimming will not be required.  It will be repeating the exact same sequence over and over with no input from the light show.  Right now all I can come up with is setting up a second universe for it, even though I would prefer it be standalone and not require a computer to operate.
Anybody have a better idea?  

Thanks,
Jay

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Greetings,,,

I'm sure you can find lots of answers on this.  You could build any of the various microcontroller units that can run a simple off and on sequence, or even use a simple counter and have it change positions on outputs from 1 to 16 to go on and off.

Some of this can get really technical with all the different options.  How many different combinations do you need, etc.  If you only have to turn on and off the channels in order, 1 to 16, with only one on at a time, or different combinations.

You could even use a mechanical turning tin can, with extruded parts that turn switches on.  Some of the other boards have designs that people have made to run things with outputs like what you want.  I'll have to go back to check to point you to something already designed.

The main thing is to make sure any AC controlling aspects are properly built, in order to maintain safety.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline OkieJay

Keith,
Thank you for your quick reply.  I will need one repeating sequence (outlined below).  I would like to be able to tweak the timing a little because some of the events need to be staggered some.  Can you recommend a microcontroller unit that would do this?

------------------------------------------

1 on
2 on
1 off & 2 off & 3 on
3 off & 4 on
4 off & 5 on
5 off & 6 on (stays on)
pause

1 on
7 on
1 off & 7 off & 8 on
8 off & 9 on
9 off & 10 on (stays on)
pause

1 on
11 on
1 off & 11 off & 12 on
12 off & 13 on
13 off & 14 on
14 off & 15 on (stays on)
pause

16 on

pause

16 flashes a few times

all off & restart
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, by OkieJay »

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Greetings,,,

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login discusses the Arduino, with using DMX from it.  None of this is supported here but You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is what I would consider, if I was going straight from the microcontroller pins, to some type of output that would be changed to AC, or higher powered DC.  Look for DMXSimple here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login .  Once again, YMMV.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline voyageurs60

Jay - I also have plans to make a soldier/cannon - I would like such a controller also... do you have a drawing yet of what to do? I purchased one from a fellow on ebay, not bad - email and we can collaborate... Dan
Light in Peace - voyageurs60 (Dan)

Offline Kwajtony

I think a controller is already made for that application and RJ is working on the conductor which would do exactly that.
R,
Tony "C"

Offline tpctech

Cool project.  I built a snowmand that tips its hat by sequencing an arm and hat with tube lights.  I used a basic 555 timer chip in a sequence and built a few SSR to drive the lights.    I have also purchased PLC's, programmer controllers used for industrial control at hamfests.  The last I purchased was for $10.00 !!!  They program in "relay ladder logic" and various inputs and outputs.

As others have suggested the LE with the future "conductor" would work great.  I have used a LOR board kit in standalone mode before being involved in DLA!! 

Good luck

KEN

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
You may want to look into the Picaxe line of uP's.   They're not fast enough to do zero-cross, but since you're not dimming, it doesn't matter.  They're coded with a type of Basic, the editor is free and easy to use. The 28x series has 17 outs, if I remember correctly, and runs about $10 US.

Tie the Picaxe outputs to MOC3031 (zero-cross opto's) and slap on a triac, away you go!

:) joe
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)