Author Topic: Hardware question  (Read 2224 times)

Offline shane

Hardware question
« on: January 17, 2010, »
I am currently running LOR and using a MP3 director off of a SD card, I ordered the express and want to know if i can run the lor and the express from the director. I am sure that there is a dongle to separate the Lor and the Lynx. If I can use it how many channels can I run I am at 112 now and growing?And I just found out that LSP doesnt allow you to put the sequences on a card, I am currently using lor software, but I dont mind changing. I had the whole LOR thing figured out, but this is like starting all over again.  :o

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Hardware question
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, »
I have no experience with the Director. It would need to output DMX for it to work with Lynx Equipment. I am working on a DIY version of this (Conductor) and hope to have it out in beta in a few months.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline shane

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, »
Thanks RJ, I live in Lakeland, I met you at the Florida mini. Would it be safe to say that I will be able to run my show by december without using my computer to run it with what is being developed? And what software , I am running lor 2 and dont know which software Is best for lor and express. I know that LSP isnt capable of a sd card download.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, »
I can never make promises. But check out the Blog for the Conductor. It will not care what software you use as long as it puts DMX out. Now that being said without an LOR IDMX unit you can not output DMX from LOR.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline ponddude

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, »
Being an LOR guy around these parts I can answer this...

The answer is yes...but with some work.  The Director card puts out the same protocol that the computer does.  Just like the computer, you need to create the DMX universe somehow, and that way is with the iDMX.  The setup would involve you connecting the iDMX just like any other controller with a Cat-5 cable.  Than just get and XLR to Cat-5 adapter, LOR and Production Advantage sells one (LOR's is cheaper).  Out of the adapter you can connect to the LE, or any of RJ's hardware.  You can also connect to the Wireless RX.  

Just remember, in order to get the DMX things to work you need to create a DMX network.  That is what the iDMX does as well as the Dongle.  

Very simple and works great.  I ran the LE's and LOR stuff all season for 09 and it was great!

Greg
Greg
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline shane

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, »
Thanks for clearing that up for me, I thought for a little bit that I was going to just run lor, I put in for four express and now with that info I feel alot better about it.

Offline shane

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, »
With you being an lor guy like me but converting, what software did you find the easiest for both hardwares, I would like to just use one and import my files to it.Thanks for all of your help, this board is full of people trying to help. ;D

Offline ponddude

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, »
I personally use S2.  I have Vixen and I have LSP.  I think LSP can be a good piece of software, but has a long way to go.  It always locks up on me and every time I try to convert a sequence, nothing ever happens.  Vixen I personally find confusing.  I know KC is working on a complete redesign, so maybe after that I will like it more.

S2 work great, has a lot of great features and I have never had a single problem with it.  I am a beta tester for LOR and I get to see a lot of the features that are coming before the general release.  What is coming, is awesome and will really set it above the rest of the software.

The major draw back of S2 for DIY'ers is the need for the iDMX.  If you aren't using LOR equipment, the price of the iDMX will deter a lot of people...and rightfully so.

Greg
Greg

Offline wirekat

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Kent
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, »
I think I'll chime in here as I am an LOR guy (four years) and I'm testing LSP.
LSP needs a bunch of CPU power to run smoothly. I am testing it on a quad
core and it still runs slow at times. I liken it to Vixen on steroids. It will do
RGB leds like Firefly's and Color ribbon, DMX and so forth. The trouble I'm having
with it is getting the timings the way I like. I like to use multiple tracks for the
various timings (beat, melody, bass...). Since I spend a lot of time getting those
timings just right, the software I ultimately use has to do that well and I have
not been able to do it any faster in LSP (slower actually). The iDMX works well
for me but I had to get used to the way LOR translates their S2 into DMX and
that does need improving (IMHO).
Kevin Thomas

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, »
I have been playing over the past few weeks with the different software packages.  I have a large LOR setup and wanted to play with some DIY stuff for fun.  I can honestly say that if you have 64 channels or less you can use whichever software package you want and it will probably not be a huge switch.  Also if you are just starting out with a small setup it's not a huge deal either way.

For me having over 500 channels the conversion would be extremely painful.  I tried to open one of my LOR sequences in LSP and it chewed on it for a number of minutes before it loaded.   As others have said, LSP has potential an given time could be stiff competition with S2.

I'm going to order a iDMX unit this summer to play, maybe even add some DMX stuff, but there is no way I'm abandoning S2 because I just don't see any benefit at this time.

Vendors make switching software and hardware hard for a reason and if I owned it I would more than likely be doing the same.

Offline wirekat

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Kent
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, »
I agree with Jeffl as I have over 500 channels and it would have be easier with
high channels numbers. I think maybe Jeffl and I are in the minority.
Kevin Thomas