Author Topic: New part for dongle  (Read 5676 times)

Offline lortiz

New part for dongle
« on: January 30, 2010, »
Since there is going to be a lot of dongle parts ordering, please be aware that the NMR100C (Mouser 580-NMR100C) part is not available at this moment in Mouser. Doing a small research it looks like manufacturer Murata have now an 'improved' version of this part MER1S0505SC (Mouser 580-MER1S0505SC). This part looks like direct replacement to their NMR100C component.

RJ should take a look at this and let us know for sure if it OK to buy this new part instead.

Leo
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, by lortiz »
Barbara Sher - "Doing is a quantum leap from imagining."

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: New part for dongle
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, »
It appears that you are correct. It appears to be a drop in replacement but one that is both in stock and cheaper!

Good find!

Rick when you see this could you change the Boms to reflect the new part that is avaliable. Thanks!

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It appears that you are correct. It appears to be a drop in replacement but one that is both in stock and cheaper!

Good find!

Rick when you see this could you change the Boms to reflect the new part that is avaliable. Thanks!

RJ

Ok, but you will have to change the mouser direct link

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, »
Since there is going to be a lot of dongle parts ordering, please be aware that the NMR100C (Mouser 580-NMR100C) part is not available at this moment in Mouser. Doing a small research it looks like manufacturer Murata have now an 'improved' version of this part MER1S0505SC (Mouser 580-MER1S0505SC). This part looks like direct replacement to their NMR100C component.

RJ should take a look at this and let us know for sure if it OK to buy this new part instead.

Leo

Do you think I need to call mouser already ordered parts before this came about or do you think they will make the adjustment on their own
Jeff

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

Myself, I would call them.  They wouldn't want to make a customer angry by substituting a part without prior approval, even one on a week or two backorder.  The only way to be sure is to contact them.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, »
Wiki BOM link to mouser has been updated.

RJ

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, »
I just built a dongle a couple of weeks ago.  I just looked at the Mouser BOM and it has parts listed that I did not have.  I also looked again at the manual and I can not find the first five (5) parts.  Is the new dongle for the new COOP different?  330 ohm resistors and a couple of led's?

Ron

Maybe I'm seeing things
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, by trekster »
My 2010 Videos

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

We're in the middle of updating info.  The dongle pcb in the current coop is going to have a few additional parts, 2 leds, 2 resistors, a 2 pin header and jumper for it.  The manual is going to be updated for the new additions.  The manual is still good for any of the boards currently out there.

Keith

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, »
I just built a dongle a couple of weeks ago.  I just looked at the Mouser BOM and it has parts listed that I did not have.  I also looked again at the manual and I can not find the first five (5) parts.  Is the new dongle for the new COOP different?  330 ohm resistors and a couple of led's?

Ron

Maybe I'm seeing things

Your not!

We try to never let the grass grow under our feet here at DLA. We are always looking for ways to improve things with new devices and upgrades to current ones.

The dongle is getting a power and Data LED added for diagnoses and a jumper to allow it to be put in a test mode if you having issues and wnat to isolate the problem to the dongle you built are configuration in the software. They cost almost nothing to add and if you don't want them you leave them off with out any issues.

When in test mode the dongle will turn every other channel on and the rest off no matter what the software is telling it to do. this is so you can tell that the hardware is working.

The test mode was requested by Keith Tarpley and the Leds have been asked for by a number of people.

RJ

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, »
Sounds like a good idea to me.  The power and data light is something I was even thinking about after building mine a couple of weeks ago and having major problems.  It was dead.  But its fixed and working now. (with my little jumper from the bottom of the usb module to pin 10 on top)

You guys are the best.

Thank You

Ron

My 2010 Videos

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, »
I'm glad I read this thread because there is no mention in the Dongle co-op of the new added features. As I already have 2 of the Dongle PCB's, I wasn't going to order any this go around, but with the new added features it looks like I'm just going to have to order more stuff. As always, Thank you RJ for helping me spend my money ;D ;D

Seriously though, myself and I'm sure others are actually glad you keep trying to make things better.

One question, I have cases for the old Dongle, will they work on the new board?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, by bisquit476 »

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

The cases will work.  The physical additions are just the leds, resistors, and jumper/pins.  All are small.

Keith

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, »
I'm glad I read this thread because there is no mention in the Dongle co-op of the new added features. As I already have 2 of the Dongle PCB's, I wasn't going to order any this go around, but with the new added features it looks like I'm just going to have to order more stuff. As always, Thank you RJ for helping me spend my money ;D ;D

Seriously though, myself and I'm sure others are actually glad you keep trying to make things better.

One question, I have cases for the old Dongle, will they work on the new board?

The intent is for the LEDs to be visible outside of the box.  You will want to drill two small holes in the case once you figure out where it is best to have the LEDs poking through.   

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, »
Moose is correct. There is a led added on each side of the jacks. One is to the left of the USB and one to the right of the RJ45. with the machined cases you drill two small holes and the leds poke into them so you cansee them outside the case.

RJ

Offline rogerwh

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, »
So, Is the current BOM for the dongle the parts I should order for the new PCB'ain the coop?.