Author Topic: Project updates  (Read 87582 times)

Offline BigVettePimp

Re: Project updates
« Reply #180 on: March 17, 2010, »
RJ. you have really come up with some fantastic stuff <res. How soo till you run a CoOp on this one. I'm working on my first display for 4th of july and 4 of these would really kick some A$$ for wall washers.      Michael

Offline batdive

« Reply #181 on: March 17, 2010, »
Wow looking good. 

Drool

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #182 on: March 17, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

Point it at an aluminum tree to simulate the old rotating color disc...

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline tmtfield

« Reply #183 on: March 17, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Greetings,,,

Point it at an aluminum tree to simulate the old rotating color disc...

Keith

Keith,
I still have my parents rotating 4 color light for the aluminum trees. (still works)
would this be the first 4 channel controller? ;D
Debating with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead

Tim

Offline BigVettePimp

« Reply #184 on: March 17, 2010, »
dmoore, thanx for the info. Already have a flag and simulated fireworks built. The display has 112 channels and nearly 12000 lights. Will post some videos later. Halloween is gonna be hella wicked with fire and fog,,I'll show that off later. <md..         Michael

Offline crazybob

« Reply #185 on: March 18, 2010, »
RJ, with all this talk about using these for other hollidays, how do you think these would hold up being permanatley mounted ourside? Are the cases meant to be left outdoors year-round?

Offline ElectricCraft1

• Dimming for the first time in '09.
« Reply #186 on: March 20, 2010, »
Check out this link:

The video is poor, but you get the idea.  It was my first lighting show ever, for christmas or any other holiday. 

All built DIY!

The flag measured 9 ft. x 17 ft. to scale of the real thing.

The fireworks were 12 ft high as well.
Branden

"If you can't go big, why do it?"

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: March 20, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

Nice.  Seems like a good place to put the flag in the structure.  Like the fireworks.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: March 20, 2010, »
Can we split the firework, flags, 4th of july stuff over into its own thread. It makes it hard for everyone else to follow the original thread.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #189 on: March 20, 2010, »
RJ, with all this talk about using these for other hollidays, how do you think these would hold up being permanatley mounted ourside? Are the cases meant to be left outdoors year-round?

Mine will be, They are work lights with aluminum painted cases and glass fronts so nt much to go bad on them.

RJ

Offline batdive

« Reply #190 on: March 20, 2010, »

Mine will be, They are work lights with aluminum painted cases and glass fronts so nt much to go bad on them.

RJ

Ahh security lights in an assortment of colors!  ;D

Imagine setting them to music, now that would set your house up for a party.

RJ, these look awesome cant wait for the COOP

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #191 on: March 20, 2010, »

RJ

Ahh security lights in an assortment of colors!  ;D

Imagine setting them to music, now that would set your house up for a party.

RJ, these look awesome cant wait for the COOP

I'm trying to figure out how to turn these little babies into a moving gobo type projector - you know, huge projected snowflakes - which I just may do without motion but would love to include motion as well...

-Paul

...OK I got it, a color wheel off to the side using a big disk with "snowflake" holes that pass over the Aether  <yk..
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, by PJNMCT »
Leesburg, FL

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #192 on: March 20, 2010, »
Quote from: RJ on February 28, 2010,
Quote from: bisquit476 on February 28, 2010,
Just a quick question RJ, you mentioned wireless, is the Aether going to use the EX/RX board for wireless?

It can.
------------------------------
RJ -

Can you confirm if the EX wireless module (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) will attach directly to the control board inside of the Aether or will it use the stand-alone receiver (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) external of the Aether case?  (of course updated for version 2.0 of the wireless)

Thanks!
David

My guess is RJ is not ready to announce the wireless part yet. No guaranteed that it will use any of the current wireless boards or it could, I really don't know

When he is ready everyone will know.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: March 20, 2010, »
David,  The unit could be run from a Standalone or the EX/RX.  The issue is the metal case that is needed for heatsinking. As you can imagine it is not the best material to get the radio signals through so I worried doing it inside would be too range limiting. I have arranged a setup to use them anyway but like Rick said I am not wild about getting into the stuff until I have it working and know it will work well and I want be changing it.

Right now I have been having a bad time with converting to through hole on it. I thought it would help with those that surface mount makes nervous but the replacement parts for the surface mount are killing me. I had the exact part in through hole and then a few days ago it went on the obsolete list so no need to use it. Then I found a suitable replacement and could not find any in stock. Guess what called a supplier about it and it is Obsolete!  <yk..

Man I guess we are going to be moving that way or there will be no parts to work with. All the new good stuff is surface mount and even the old stand bys are not being replaced. Look at what happen to me with the TLC5940NT chip for the MR16 controller. It is getting hard to get. I can get it in SMD with no issue.

So at this point I believe we are back to the Aether being surface mount like the prototype is. I went back to it and I am changing a few parts to the next size larger in an effort to make it the easiest SMD to build I can. It is really easier once you get over it and try it. A cheap griddle is cheaper than a solding iron. I bought mine for about $28 at walmart as I remember, and it works great.

RJ

Offline crazybob

« Reply #194 on: March 20, 2010, »
This may be a dumb question, but what is the advantage of things moving to surface mount?