Author Topic: Project updates  (Read 87587 times)

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
Re: Project updates
« Reply #210 on: March 21, 2010, »
I know that my SWMBO would have a real kanniption if I pulled out the griddle in the kitchen to do this....   and all my explanations would not get rid of thos daggers...   

I wonder if this would be satisfactory?     on sale it probably could be found for $25. 
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #211 on: March 21, 2010, »
I know that my SWMBO would have a real kanniption if I pulled out the griddle in the kitchen to do this....   and all my explanations would not get rid of thos daggers...   

I wonder if this would be satisfactory?     on sale it probably could be found for $25. 
Larry

Yes it would work. It might heat up faster than mine but likely would still be fine.

Here is the one I am using on the same page. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #212 on: March 21, 2010, »
If we are making these on a griddle sure you don't want to change the name to Lynx Pancake Lights
 <la..

Ok SMT and a griddle.. Well check have the griddle, but RJ or someone I sure hope a "how to" video would be great , if it seems that is the future of the Lynx line.

I know this DIYer could use it.

I am not sure I want everyone to think everything will be made SMD at DLA. But the Aether needs the benifit of it and so it for sure will. I also have a dongle design that someday when everyone is confortable with SMD I will release. It is just the same dongle but about $20 cheaper.

RJ

Offline egenoup

« Reply #213 on: March 21, 2010, »
Sorry to have upset you a bit RJ... You did explained yourself, I jut did not express myself correctly.  I was referring to through hole stuff you already have out and working like the dongle, LE and FS.  It would be nice to have those in SM also.  I know they will all come with time and I don't mean to be inpatient.     <res.   and peace... we need a peace emot...

Charles

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #214 on: March 22, 2010, »
Sorry to have upset you a bit RJ... You did explained yourself, I jut did not express myself correctly.  I was referring to through hole stuff you already have out and working like the dongle, LE and FS.  It would be nice to have those in SM also.  I know they will all come with time and I don't mean to be inpatient.     <res.   and peace... we need a peace emot...

Charles

Charles,

Not sure what you read as having upset me? Or what I said that sounded upset?

I do not see changing things that work fine, and parts are avaliable. There as so many projects waiting their turn.  I would not be doing this in SMD if it did not need to be. This is not ooohhh SMD is cool lets do everything in it. It is more like... There will  be things that can not effectivly be done but in SMD. Some stuff is that way now and more will be in the future.

RJ

Offline Exitfourxmas

« Reply #215 on: March 22, 2010, »
Spring / garage sale season is coming so it looks like another reason to just have to go out and do some shopping! ;)

Offline batdive

« Reply #216 on: March 22, 2010, »

I am not sure I want everyone to think everything will be made SMD at DLA. But the Aether needs the benifit of it and so it for sure will. I also have a dongle design that someday when everyone is confortable with SMD I will release. It is just the same dongle but about $20 cheaper.

RJ

Well RJ from what I am reading (with parts of the through the hole design being "obselete") it appears SMT is the future.  I can say obviously Ather is the first but obviously not the last.  I know any and most DIYer's are always up to a challenge and if the stuff needs to convert to SMT for cost/parts, I am ready to accept the challenge and give it a go.  Never done SMT, but I think with the breadth of help we have on the boards (and Im sure PLENTY of videos to assist the move from through the hole to SMT) the DLA community can make it as painless as possible.

And from what I have read of/from you, always offering a through the hole design as much as feasible would be included. 

-JS

« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, by batdive »

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #217 on: March 23, 2010, »
just a note, I know SMD are a little more difficult to solder for some/most, however when the time comes where you think to start adding more SMD products there will be another couple hundred thousand  ;D new DLA users who will not feel comfortable. I'm just saying there will always be new people who will not feel comfortable because DLA is constantly growing with new users. I don't think it will ever slow down and stop to eventually have everyone comfortable. Just saying I wouldn't mind you start adding in the SMD designs as you've done with Aether. Maybe your slowly integrating it into your board designs, but thats just my thoughts.

If we are making these on a griddle sure you don't want to change the name to Lynx Pancake Lights
 <la..

Ok SMT and a griddle.. Well check have the griddle, but RJ or someone I sure hope a "how to" video would be great , if it seems that is the future of the Lynx line.

I know this DIYer could use it.

RJ
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, by knguyen916 »

Offline thshadow

« Reply #218 on: March 23, 2010, »
I'm totally okay with trying the SMD... This is my first time doing all of this... just built a dongle... just put together a SSR/DMX and well now undertaking a Freestyle and an Express... with that all that said I think SMD sounds interesting... just kindda weird you use a griddle ;) but you know pancakes and project completion all in the same morning.. you would be ready to go by lunch time... and hey maybe even a basic show by dinner ;) well then again maybe not  <la..

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #219 on: March 25, 2010, »
Hey, rather than wasting money at Wal-mart to get a griddle to do surface mount stuff, why not go to the local thrift store and get one that's all scratched up and ruined already?

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #220 on: March 26, 2010, »
Ya,... but I'd be careful though... Most of the thrift places around here wanna charge as much as new. If you're not up on the prices you could end up paying way to much for something somebody threw out and (most likely) couldn't sell at a grage sale.

Leon
Leon

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #221 on: March 27, 2010, »
You also want a very clean one as grease splattering on the pcb will be bad. Also at the heat we do this a grease fire is possible. Just a thought to think about.

RJ

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #222 on: March 31, 2010, »
Here is your light fixture on sale for $6.79  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

15% off select Northern Industrial Tools at  Northern Tool + Equipment

15% off select Northern Industrial Tools at Northern Tool + EquipmentNorthern Tool + Equipment is currently offering 15% off select Northern Industrial branded tools. Shipping is free on orders up to 50 pounds when you become a Hotline member. This Northern Industrial 500 Watt Portable Halogen Worklight is $8 - 15% discount + $8 shipping = $15 shipped.

Just happened to see it on a sale on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Ron

My 2010 Videos

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #223 on: April 01, 2010, »
Here is your light fixture on sale for $6.79  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thanks for the info just ordered 4

Jeff
Jeff

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #224 on: April 02, 2010, »

I was out and about running errands today with one of my stops being Northern Tool.  First I stopped at HD to pick up some gardening stuff and took a look at their floodlights.  $15 each, but I learned long ago that there is no penalty for asking.  I had a printout of the NT web page with sale price on with me and HD agreed to match it.  Saved me from an additional 10 miles each way and I suspect I might have gotten a little better light.  So print out the web page and ask for a price match at HD or Lowes or Menards or whomever.  I got over a 50% discount at HD.  If they said no, I would have driven to NT and got what I needed.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA