Author Topic: Project updates  (Read 87578 times)

Offline austindave

Re: Project updates
« Reply #255 on: April 12, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'd assume that if you already have 120v foods mounted in your soffits and other locations, I suspect with a little effort, a mount could be fabricated for long term lighting.  Another alternative is the Mighty-Mini floods which are at 24V DC... no wireless and no built in controller but would be easier to mount and safer than 120v.

Hi dmoore,

Well, to get wall-washes (like I want), I envision the lights being out in the yard, pointing back at the walls (and / or other landscape elements). [Of course, since I don't have floods mounted on my soffits, that part is sort of moot.]

And, of course, other options exist. But no wireless and no built-in controller sort of defeats the whole purpose. The Aether will provide all these things in one - that's part of why it's so attractive.

And my thought was that, depending on how it's designed, a 12-volt AC power solution *might* be a very simple modification (perhaps being as simple as removing the 120v transformer, replacing it with a couple of jumpers & installing a different power cord - though it might be much worse than that, depending...).

But if it's easy, and others would be interested in that option, wouldn't it make sense to provide it?

--Dave
Austin, Texas - "BubbaLand"

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #256 on: April 12, 2010, »
Hi dmoore,

Well, to get wall-washes (like I want), I envision the lights being out in the yard, pointing back at the walls (and / or other landscape elements). [Of course, since I don't have floods mounted on my soffits, that part is sort of moot.]

And, of course, other options exist. But no wireless and no built-in controller sort of defeats the whole purpose. The Aether will provide all these things in one - that's part of why it's so attractive.

And my thought was that, depending on how it's designed, a 12-volt AC power solution *might* be a very simple modification (perhaps being as simple as removing the 120v transformer, replacing it with a couple of jumpers & installing a different power cord - though it might be much worse than that, depending...).

But if it's easy, and others would be interested in that option, wouldn't it make sense to provide it?

--Dave

Well it is a little more difficult than that to make them work on 12volts DC. One thing users have to understand is that many people will all want different stuff and they will of course think their idea is more needed then the others. This is not a bad thing but it is a point everyone has to come to understand. We can not design stuff to do everything as this would make them exspenive, complicated, and take for ever to get working.

To make it a little more inclusive and show it is not just here but everywhere and since the mighty minis were brought up, There is a number of post on the mighty mini talking about how it should have been 12 volt. Other felt it needed constant current drive for better led life, others asked about built in power supply, others think it should have included a controller in it, others have talked about adding frosted filters to make the color blend better. These are all public post you can find easily enough.

My point is that no matter what you design there will be users that think it should have " insert here" option.

As far as the Aether, the beta boards I am waiting on do indeed have a dc input for 12v on it and marked for such. It is totally untested and may not function correctly for all I know so this is the reason I have not mentioned it. The reason I added it was for the reason the OP stated. I want to use them as landscape lighting and 12v dc is common for this. I also am working on the code that makes them stand alone where one is a master and the others slaves so they can do color changes and patterns on there own with no input to them. 

RJ 
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #257 on: April 13, 2010, »

My point is that no matter what you design there will be users that think it should have " insert here" option.

As far as the Aether, the beta boards I am waiting on do indeed have a dc input for 12v on it and marked for such. It is totally untested and may not function correctly for all I know so this is the reason I have not mentioned it. The reason I added it was for the reason the OP stated. I want to use them as landscape lighting and 12v dc is common for this. I also am working on the code that makes them stand alone where one is a master and the others slaves so they can do color changes and patterns on there own with no input to them. 

RJ 

Here Here...BUT I sure do hope the 12 volt option works. I think that is a great addition. <res.

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline austindave

« Reply #258 on: April 13, 2010, »
I want to use them as landscape lighting and 12v dc is common for this.
RJ

Thanks RJ. Of course you're right... I was only asking for it as a convenience - it's certainly not mandatory - and I figured it was relatively easy (compared to many requests)...

But correct me if I'm wrong on this... I thought that typical landscape lighting was 12v AC (unrectified, unregulated). Maybe there are DC models, but I always thought the lower-end stuff (i.e. available at Home Depot) didn't include any rectifiers.

Thanks again,
Dave
Austin, Texas - "BubbaLand"

Offline tbone321

« Reply #259 on: April 13, 2010, »
All of the ones that I have installed and worked on were AC out as well.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #260 on: April 13, 2010, »
Sorry,

The unit runs on DC but has its own rectifier and cap so it does not care if you put 12v DC or AC into it. This is of course untested functionality at this point.

RJ

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #261 on: April 19, 2010, »
How many prongs does the floodlight for this kit require? 2 or 3 conductor?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #262 on: April 19, 2010, »
If RJ is using a meta cased housing then I would assume and suggest a 3 wire power cord.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline crazybob

« Reply #263 on: April 19, 2010, »
Don't quote me on this, but I think I remember reading that this will use the existing power cord.

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #264 on: April 27, 2010, »
RJ-
  With the wireless coop just starting, should we be buying RX/EX for the Aethers we plan to get or will the Aether coop include the wireless option?
/mike

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
« Reply #265 on: April 27, 2010, »
Good question Mike would like to know the answer to that as well :)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #266 on: April 27, 2010, »
It would be up to the coop manager so I can not say.  If you get what you need in the current coop you have it covered.

RJ

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
« Reply #267 on: April 27, 2010, »
RJ,

Just to verify the Aether is using the EX/RX wireless correct?, that info was posted I think on page 14 or so just want to make sure no changes were made.  Thanks

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #268 on: April 27, 2010, »
I would suggest that if you can get your receivers now, as the high qty makes for a cheaper price.
This way you have one component of the Aether covered.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #269 on: April 28, 2010, »
Also the Aether does not need the connector like the ssr4 / Freestyles do to use wireless. It has a small cable with plug that hooks to the wireless module. (Radio Control Servo Extensition cut in half) This lets you switch back and forth between wired and wireless with out taking the Aether apart. You just open the front door and move a jumper. I will have the build video and manual ready before we do the coop so everyone can watch and decide if they want to build them or not.

RJ