Author Topic: Project updates  (Read 87589 times)

Offline moronoron

Re: Project updates
« Reply #270 on: April 28, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Also the Aether does not need the connector like the ssr4 / Freestyles do to use wireless.
RJ

So, just to be absolutely certain for this newbie (me!), here's the current wireless V2 coop:

Kit 1 – Version 2 Tx/Rx Parts Kit
Kit 2 – Version 2 Tx/Rx PCB
Kit 3 –Version 2 TX/RX Case
Kit 4 – Version 2 LE/RX Parts Kit (Lynx Express Receiver)
Kit 5 – Version 2 LE/RX PCB
Kit 6 – LE/RX Header Pin (Allows LE/RX to be used with other Lynx gear like the MR16 Controller, SSR4…etc…)

Are Kits 4 & 5 needed for the Aether?  Looks like you say Kit 6 is NOT needed for the Aether.  It seemed like maybe Kits 1, 2 (and 3?) could work too?  Does one Kit set mount inside and one outside?  Or is one better than the other?

Sorry for the stupidity, but just trying to understand this and go the right route for when the Aether is released.

Man, have I got a lot of stuff to build this summer!  These coops are killing me ;)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #271 on: April 28, 2010, »
Also the Aether does not need the connector like the ssr4 / Freestyles do to use wireless.
RJ

So, just to be absolutely certain for this newbie (me!), here's the current wireless V2 coop:

Kit 6 – LE/RX Header Pin (Allows LE/RX to be used with other Lynx gear like the MR16 Controller, SSR4…etc…)

Are Kits 4 & 5 needed for the Aether?  Looks like you say Kit 6 is NOT needed for the Aether.  It seemed like maybe Kits 1, 2 (and 3?) could work too?  Does one Kit set mount inside and one outside?  Or is one better than the other?

Sorry for the stupidity, but just trying to understand this and go the right route for when the Aether is released.

Man, have I got a lot of stuff to build this summer!  These coops are killing me ;)

You have it correct. The EX/RX will mount inside and is cheaper. The TX/RX can be used in RX mode to plug into the Aether externally to also make it wireless. All in what you want to do. The TX/RX will need power also to operate where the EX/RX gets it from the Aether power internally.

RJ

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline moronoron

« Reply #272 on: April 29, 2010, »
Thanks RJ!  This helps A LOT  ;D

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #273 on: April 29, 2010, »
just a quick note......   stopped by Sears today and happened to wander through their small kitchen appliance area........   found this  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  at half price  -- less than $20...   couldn't resist.    Now I have a griddle big enough to handle any SMD I could imagine wanting to do.......   and cook a beavy of pancakes..   

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline cpnbnanamn

• Patron Member
  • I blame Jack for getting me hooked....
« Reply #274 on: April 30, 2010, »
I was actually just talking to a friend about this very idea..  My wife is gonna KILL me...  I think the acronym will change from SWMBO to SWWBRW.  I'm gonna need like 6...............  better start saving my pennies...

-Roger
-Roger

I'm hoping to go NUTS this year!

Offline bcwhitehead

« Reply #275 on: April 30, 2010, »
RJ

You have it correct. The EX/RX will mount inside and is cheaper. The TX/RX can be used in RX mode to plug into the Aether externally to also make it wireless. All in what you want to do. The TX/RX will need power also to operate where the EX/RX gets it from the Aether power internally.

RJ

RJ

RJ
I need something clarified for me. I am also a newbie and will  be using the aether on a LOR network through an IDMX would I need the tx/rx or the ex/rx. I am getting confused. Sorry for the repeating questions. From the wiki it seem like I would need the tx/rx?

Thanks Brandon

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #276 on: April 30, 2010, »

RJ
I need something clarified for me. I am also a newbie and will  be using the aether on a LOR network through an IDMX would I need the tx/rx or the ex/rx. I am getting confused. Sorry for the repeating questions. From the wiki it seem like I would need the tx/rx?

Thanks Brandon

Brandon,

Do you need wireless to the Aether? If not than a simple cat5 cable will work from the idmx (convert is needed I believe).

If you want wireless then

from the idmx you need a lynx TX (convert is also needed here)

the receiver can be either an external unit lynx RX or internal unit the ex/rx

The choice of wireless receiver is up to your needs.

Disclaimer --- I don't own any LOR equipment so the need of a convert is on my guess. Other folks with more knowledge can better answer that

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #277 on: April 30, 2010, »

Disclaimer --- I don't own any LOR equipment so the need of a convert is on my guess. Other folks with more knowledge can better answer that

Cheers

Rick R.

Rick is correct, you need basically a RJ45 cable that swaps a couple of pin positions to make the iDMX work with Lynx equipment.

Another Disclaimer - I don't own any LOR equipment either, but David Moore and I got this working in minutes testing at my home earlier this year.

Ron

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #278 on: April 30, 2010, »
just a quick note......   stopped by Sears today and happened to wander through their small kitchen appliance area........   found this  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  at half price  -- less than $20...   couldn't resist.    Now I have a griddle big enough to handle any SMD I could imagine wanting to do.......   and cook a beavy of pancakes..   

Larry

Good find Larry.  Stopped by Sears to look at this and it is a great deal.  Normally $40, but on sale for $19.  Of course it is physically a big griddle, but the price was way better than the physically smaller units.  Only problem is now my wife wants it.  Maybe we can cook on it until the aether kits start to arrive and then I will either have to buy another one for smt work or steal this one back from her.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #279 on: April 30, 2010, »
The only thing to watch is that you need a griddle tht can get hot enough. Some large griddles can have an issue getting hot enough to solder well. Not saying these are that way as I do not know. I have not found a site that has tested them so I just picked the one I used based on it was 1500 watts and hoped it worked well.

RJ

Offline tpctech

« Reply #280 on: April 30, 2010, »

Cheers

Rick R.

Rick is correct, you need basically a RJ45 cable that swaps a couple of pin positions to make the iDMX work with Lynx equipment.

Another Disclaimer - I don't own any LOR equipment either, but David Moore and I got this working in minutes testing at my home earlier this year.

Ron
yes you are correct I run a mix of LOR and Lynx with an LOR Idmx.  The diagram is on the wiki.  basically LOR uses the pins 4 and 5 on the RJ45 (typically the blue pair) and Lynx uses pin 1 and 2 the RJ45 (typically the orange pair )

KEN

Offline bcwhitehead

« Reply #281 on: May 01, 2010, »

Cheers

Rick R.

Ron
yes you are correct I run a mix of LOR and Lynx with an LOR Idmx.  The diagram is on the wiki.  basically LOR uses the pins 4 and 5 on the RJ45 (typically the blue pair) and Lynx uses pin 1 and 2 the RJ45 (typically the orange pair )

KEN

Thanks all for clarifying that for me. 

Brandon

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #282 on: May 13, 2010, »
Assembly Video Manual soon.

RJ

Offline batdive

« Reply #283 on: May 13, 2010, »

RJ

Ohhh RJ does that mean COOP soon also?  8)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #284 on: May 13, 2010, »

RJ

Ohhh RJ does that mean COOP soon also?  8)

At this time I am unable to confirm or deny such rumors.   <yk..

RJ