Author Topic: Project updates  (Read 87529 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Project updates
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2010, »
These are more than just leds on a pcb so there is space needs and mounting to work with. I choose a cheap and easy to get metal work light designed to get hot and already has a handle, feet to stand on, is adjustable and has water tight power cord, ect that also cost half as much as what you posted.  Not sure how we will do better than it.

I do remove the grill guard from it it just snaps off and on.  

RJ
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, by RJ »
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline ponddude

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2010, »
Fair enough.  Just thought I would ask.
Greg
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline crazybob

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2010, »
Is the whole halogen unit weather proof as-is? I was always under the impression that those units couldn't get wet?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2010, »
They are gasketed and the cord is double sealed so they are as water tight as anything I could ever build.

The instructions say "If using in a wet location insure they are plugged into a GFCI protected outlet.

And the metal case allows us to get rid of the heat which is a issue when you get to this powerful a light. It is designed for 500W halogen and they will cook in normal use. You can not touch them anywhere but the handle. Of course with the Aether pcb replaceing the 500w light it will not run this hot.

RJ

Offline tpctech

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2010, »
RJ,

This is great.  I will back burner my triple 3 watt "decora" unit I started to use with your MR16 board to see how this works.   Being self contrained with DMX is great and a bunch better then my unit!! 

I have a couple questions:

1. What is your current idea to get DMX in and out?  dual RJ45 on the bottom side?
2. Which LED are you currenly playing with? I was playing with a King Bright RGB 3watt LED

Again COOL new blinky tool

KEN

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2010, »
RJ,

This is great.  I will back burner my triple 3 watt "decora" unit I started to use with your MR16 board to see how this works.   Being self contrained with DMX is great and a bunch better then my unit!! 

I have a couple questions:

1. What is your current idea to get DMX in and out?  dual RJ45 on the bottom side?
2. Which LED are you currenly playing with? I was playing with a King Bright RGB 3watt LED

Again COOL new blinky tool

KEN

Now you know a Lynx never lets go of all the info until it is ready!  ;D

Personally I will be using wireless to get DMX in. But it has a nice way of handling those with cables.

Standby a week and a half and if all goes well there will be a tell all video I think you will like.

RJ

Offline Caliente Christmas

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2010, »
RJ

Will this case work the same?  They are a local store, I think i can save a delivery Fee?  Will the housing work for PCB project?

Portable Halogen Shop Light   

500 Watts of Halogen Power Provide Plenty of Light for Large Spaces

> Heavy duty tubular steel stand for maximum stability
> 45° swivel up and down
> Tempered glass lens with steel wire lens guard
> Easily accessible power switch
> Heavy duty handle with cushioned grip
> Contractor grade power cord
> Water resistant for outdoor use

120 volts, 500 watts; 1 ft. 18 gauge SJTW three-grounded power cord; Lens dimensions: 7" L x 5-1/2" W; Overall dimensions: 9-1/2" L x 8-3/4" W x 12" H
Weight: 3.2 lbs.

ITEM 66433-0VGA

$12.99

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2010, »
Without one in my hand to compare I can not promise but I would say the housing looks the same so it is a good chance that it will bolt in exactly the same. A lot more than I paid for mine. If you watch Northern they put them on sale for $4.99 every so often and they also have stores all over you can pick them up at.

RJ

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2010, »
Since this post started 2 days ago, those lights at northern tool have went down from $9.99 to $7.99

Not as good a price as RJ says ($4.99) but 20% off is still 20% off.

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2010, »
Hey RJ,

Just catching up. I noticed that in the Forum it is posted as the LYNX Aether but in the News at the top of the home page it is listed as the Express Aether. I assume that one is a slip and that it is the LYNX Aether.

Either way,.. Kudos to you again. I LOVE the idea and the affordable housing you've found. I'm gonna start saving now and watching for the housing price to fall again. :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Leon

Leon

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2010, »
I received an email today from Northern Tool..   the halogen light is on sale for 6.79.   I did a playing with their cart and found that shipping can be the killer... for shipping to Alabama, the shipping is ~ $7 for one light...    but getting 6 lights, the shipping per light drops down to about $3 per light...   and stays in that approx range for up to 20 lights.   There does not appear to be a price break on the lights when in qty.

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2010, »
Until I get the proto pcbs and make sure they work ok please do not buy any.

RJ

Offline jap813

• if you believe it, you can achieve it
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2010, »
ok, we are all waiting in suspense already, a very cool addition to the Lynx lineup. Can not wait to get my hands on some. ;D ;D

Offline bdk197

• The Keen Family Lights
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2010, »
I built some of the bigclive floods and run them off a D-Light DCx16. If this is something that would allow them to connect directly into a DMX universe that would be great. 

Is this basicly a 3 channel DMX controller?  Have another project in mind and am looking for a small, low cost 3 channel DMX driver for rgb leds.

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2010, »
Hey RJ,

I hope the PCB has an option to turn the light on or off without the need of a PC. I can see other use for it in everyday life especially knowing that it will also be energy efficient. Using the same setup like the Express?