Author Topic: Project updates  (Read 87526 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Project updates
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2010, »
Hope to have the proto pcb by the end of the week. The parts are here and I am ready to get one together. I took an extra one of the led's and solder legs on it so I could put it into a jump block prototyping board. I could not turn it on very long (2-3 seconds) and had to limit the current to about half as there is not a heatsink on it.

All I can say is I can't wait to see what 6 of these are like on full! Trying to only look at it from the side about 90 deg's and even at this limited power and only one color on I was seeing spots for a while.

Maybe this weekend I can shoot some video for you and post. I think these will Get-R-Done if you know what I mean.  ;D

RJ

Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline jap813

• if you believe it, you can achieve it
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2010, »
they need to hurry and send the pcb already getting a little antsy and we still have a few months to go ;D

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2010, »
Got the proto pcb and did some work on the Aether tonight.  I messed up a number of places on the proto pcb (as expected) but it was good enough to do what I needed by hacking it up. I am working on the firmware now that I have some hardware to work with so I can not show it doing anything neat yet. It seems very bright and throws the light out wide and high so it will have good coverage even when you are up close to the wall.

This is the best I can do with the camera it is kinda bright for it to capture well. I can't control it yet but I did dim it via hardware to get a better picture with the room lights on.

Heat seems to be well under control as you can put you finger on the heatsink layer next to the leds with one channel wide open and it is just above room temp after 10 minutes of running. The large surface area of both sides of the pcb tied together with a large number of vias is the heatsink so it keeps it very cool.

Soon as I have it fully working I will get it outside on a house to compare it to MR16's since that is what I have and most people know what they put out.

RJ 

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2010, »
RJ,

Looks pretty bright to me.  Thanks for sharing, can't wait till you get everything up and running.

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

You have a bumble bee car.  Now you're working on something with some sting.    ;D

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline lortiz

« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2010, »
Dont you all notice?

The Camaro have transformed into an Aether and a Voltmeter.

Amazing!!  :o
Barbara Sher - "Doing is a quantum leap from imagining."

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2010, »
Nice RJ.

Brad
2007- 32 Ch Grinch, >6K lights...2008- 128 Ch Freestyle, 23,000 Lights, 2009- Lynx Freestyle & Lynx Express, 26K Lights....Wife thinks I'm nuts!

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2010, »
Sign me up looks Great RJ

Jeff
Jeff

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2010, »
Just curious, how much space do you have in the back behind the board? Would making the board smaller and adding relfecting mirrors to the unit be benefical? Just thinking outloud if I had mirrors I can angle it in different positions for different angles and arrays.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Got the proto pcb and did some work on the Aether tonight.  I messed up a number of places on the proto pcb (as expected) but it was good enough to do what I needed by hacking it up. I am working on the firmware now that I have some hardware to work with so I can not show it doing anything neat yet. It seems very bright and throws the light out wide and high so it will have good coverage even when you are up close to the wall.

This is the best I can do with the camera it is kinda bright for it to capture well. I can't control it yet but I did dim it via hardware to get a better picture with the room lights on.

Heat seems to be well under control as you can put you finger on the heatsink layer next to the leds with one channel wide open and it is just above room temp after 10 minutes of running. The large surface area of both sides of the pcb tied together with a large number of vias is the heatsink so it keeps it very cool.

Soon as I have it fully working I will get it outside on a house to compare it to MR16's since that is what I have and most people know what they put out.

RJ 

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2010, »
RJ,

This is what i have been researching, and looking for all last year. was hoping that lor would come out with theirs, but since you are so awesome i now dont have to worry about theirs.  Thanks so much i am excited. do yo think you may have somthing for us to demo at ICE? its in july? would love to demo the wireless and this.  :) :)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2010, »
Just curious, how much space do you have in the back behind the board?

None!  The back side is where the power and brains are at.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2010, »
RJ,

This is what i have been researching, and looking for all last year. was hoping that lor would come out with theirs, but since you are so awesome i now dont have to worry about theirs.  Thanks so much i am excited. do yo think you may have somthing for us to demo at ICE? its in july? would love to demo the wireless and this.  :) :)

Since it is just Feb I would say yes I will have it done by then. I expect to have them in beta in less than a month.

RJ

Offline crazybob

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2010, »
Do you think these will put out enough heat to melt any snow that gets on them? I think these would look amazing in a display, but can't help but imagine them buried in the 55 inches of snow we've already got this winter...

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2010, »
Do you think these will put out enough heat to melt any snow that gets on them? I think these would look amazing in a display, but can't help but imagine them buried in the 55 inches of snow we've already got this winter...

Maybe you are on to something!  LED powered Snow Blowers!  ;D

Light,  Really light!  HaHA and energy efficent!

RJ

Offline rcouto

« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2010, »
Hi RJ,

Like everyone else, I also find that this will be a great addition to our shows.  I noticed that you still have some small re-design work to do and would like to put in a suggestion.

Would it be possible to design on the board some sort of header that could enable us to extend out an optional on/off switch that would bypass the DMX circuit and simply turn on the flood light.  My thinking is that it would be great to be able to use the flood light as a regular light in the off-season.

As with everything else, I am excited and grateful that you share this passion with us

Thanks,
RCouto