Author Topic: Project updates  (Read 87563 times)

Offline thshadow

Re: Project updates
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2010, »
Actually I could see that as a great addition as well. I wasn't thinking for off season use but more for setup when you are arranging lights to see where their placement needs to be to get the amount of wall washing/color/light that you want in defined locations; if there was something like this it would make them very portable for testing during a setup and for rearrangement prior to running additional cables besides power. However thought I read previously it would be wireless capable so that may be a mute point.. but think the suggestion has merit if it is feasible/doable and cost effective... only RJ though knows the answer to that.

- Mike

Offline golights

« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2010, »
RJ, with the led that you are using for this project, do you know if a lens is offered for these to be able to control the beam spread?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"I noticed that you still have some small re-design work to do and would like to put in a suggestion."

Actually after building it I did have some mistakes in layout but even more so I found more so that I had made it harder to build than needed. This is being rectified in the revised layout to make sure anyone can build it.

The Proto pcb worked out well as it let me prove the temperture would be very managable with the methods I used to control it. It proved out the constant current driver system works well. It proved the output of the light to be good. It proved the fit of the case with the design has room for the transformer and ect to clear the inside of the case with a very safe margin of error.

With all this in mind I have the revised layout almost done. The pcbs will be ordered this week and I hope these are the ones that the beta guys get once i build one to test.

"Would it be possible to design on the board some sort of header that could enable us to extend out an optional on/off switch that would bypass the DMX circuit and simply turn on the flood light. "

I will see what I can do. The color will not be true white with it full on in hardware since it bypasses the firmware I do not know if that matters.

RJ
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, by RJ »
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2010, »
RJ, with the led that you are using for this project, do you know if a lens is offered for these to be able to control the beam spread?

I will get into all of that once I have a decent beta unit built that looks nice so I can do a introduction to the Aether video. I plan to put a MR16 out on the house on one end of a long wall and the aether on the other so we can compare them. That way the difference in how the camera puts up the light is cancelled since almost everone has an idea of how bright the MR16's are then I will take you through everthing about a Aether. Give me a few weeks to get the pcbs and get one built.

Always have to put our best foot forward, we don't want anything that looks like it might "burn your house down" getting posted.  ;D

RJ

Offline blickensderfer

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2010, »
RJ,

Could you save the rbg levels in eprom from vixen and the external switch control the eprom setting without vixen to run it stand alone.

Dan

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2010, »
RJ,

Could you save the rbg levels in eprom from vixen and the external switch control the eprom setting without vixen to run it stand alone.

Dan

Geez!  it isn't even finished and the feature creep is in full run!  ;D   Yeah I guess I could have the switch tell the processor to do it so it could turn the unit to full white on.

RJ

Offline thshadow

« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2010, »
Sorry bout that.. Everyone is just really excited about this and sometimes we forget you have a lot going on as well.. Like a coop for a bizillion parts, a pcb coop, and several new projects also...

Offline jap813

• if you believe it, you can achieve it
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2010, »
What no updates lately????? I need one of these asap so I can play like a little kid ;D ::)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2010, »
What no updates lately????? I need one of these asap so I can play like a little kid ;D ::)

I think real life has put things on hold until the weekend

But I could be wrong or I could be right, could I be both??

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tbone321

« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2010, »
Real life stopping the creation of our toys!?!?!?!?!  I'll tell ya, the nerve of some people.   >:D
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2010, »
Yes I am unavoidable out of town this week unexpected. It should have not been but do to a scheduling snaffu I am.

I have been working on the layout work in the hotel at night so once I get home I can move ahead with it.

RJ

Offline Greg

« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2010, »
Real life stopping the creation of our toys!?!?!?!?!  I'll tell ya, the nerve of some people.   >:D

"Our toys" are actually RJs toys. ...which, thanks to his generosity and fine upbringing he shares with us and for which we are eternally grateful.

Thank you RJ.   :)

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2010, »
New Layout is looking good and is much more builder friendly. When I get back home this weekend I will test fit a few items to the new layout printout and order the pcbs.

A couple of little bits of info on the unit. The projection of the unit can be changed so you can make it what you want. A extreme wide flood down to a spot light in a minute or less. I will be testing this in the new pcbs and will get some video.

It also has an on board temp sensor as a emergency safety. If it ever detects the Leds reaching max it can limit output to keep them at the max output it can safely do and stay at a safe temp. Does not appear this will be an issue in any normal operation but for the 26 cents it cost to add the sensor, I felt it was cheap insurance to protect your investment.

I added, at the request of users, a set of pads to solder wires to and remote a switch to the outside if you decide to, it will turn the light on full white manually.

It will be 4 channels, It will have  Red, Green, Blue and White as independant channels. When the white channel is active the other channels will be ignored and and the light follows curves to ramp up and down white light. When you ramp white back down if the color channels are still on the light goes back to that color as soon as the white channel hits zero.

So in other words the 4th channel is a white overide.

The 6 high power RGB leds will put out a lot of light. So this should be a bright & reliable unit. Like the Express controller, This is not designed to be the the cheapest light but an inexpensive version of some of the very expensive lights. I expect this light to coop around $90 - $95 each. So for what the cost of one of the commercial units you can build 5 of these and light your whole show. This is a complete all in one solution where you simply plug in 120v or 240v and DMX to it either wired or wireless if you add it.  

If all goes well I will have this ready for beta in less than a month and out in two or less.  

More to come.

RJ  
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, by RJ »

Offline sims101

« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2010, »
Rj what LEDs and driver are you using ? 3w

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2010, »
Will White be a set of white LED's or a MIX of RGB?

Harrison