Author Topic: Project updates  (Read 87564 times)

Offline kj77rn

Re: Project updates
« Reply #330 on: May 24, 2010, »
I'm guessing a motion sensor could be used in place of the manual switch?  Or even a light sensor?
Steve
Apopka FL

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #331 on: May 24, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This thing is amazing.  All four videos are great and I can't wait to experience/learn SMT assembly.  Is the light with you on the deck?

Yes it is. I am standing beside it with the camera.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #332 on: May 24, 2010, »
I was thinking 4 for christmas....   now I'm thinking 8 or maybe 10 ..  and replace all the corner security lights on the house..    a few for Christmas..   and 1 or 2 for landscaping...    don't tell SWAMBO...  

Adding a motion sensor would probably get someone's attention  <la..

Larry

P.S.    well done on the videos...     My concern for the SMD has been significantly abated...

Thanks,

Yes the SMD is nothing to be afriad of. For the record the light you watched me assemble is the light you see being tested and lighting the tree and I did not touch up of any solder joint on it after you saw it on the griddle. I programmed the pic and mounted it in the case.

I have a few other videos to do yet one of which is mounting it in the case. And the other is the wireless and optional fan Which I am about to drop as I do not think it needs it.

RJ

The griddle does the work it is not rocket science.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #333 on: May 24, 2010, »
I'm guessing a motion sensor could be used in place of the manual switch?  Or even a light sensor?

Yes you could use the Manual setup on the pcb to be trigger by anything that will close a circuit.

The light does not run on 12volt as I had hoped but I did set it up for the ability to feed it 24v DC like the other diy floods for anyone that wanted to. It has to be DC not AC.

RJ

Offline Caliente Christmas

« Reply #334 on: May 25, 2010, »
Well with all that said, you had me at " Hello "

Can't wait for the coop. 

Nice Job RJ

<md.. Caliente Christmas  <md..

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
Video Part 4
« Reply #335 on: May 25, 2010, »
Wow RJ... you really had me worried!  There I was staring at the board looking for special markings where the transformer goes... and then trying to read the voltage rating every time the transformer came into view... without much success.

Phew!  Finally at 29:47 I hear the magic words "potentially at 240... if someone does the little mod that'll be in the appendix."

As always, you got it covered!

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline Cobergas

« Reply #336 on: May 26, 2010, »
 <pop.. I think it is time to bite on this one. I have went through the whole thread and watched the videos now I wanna get involved. The bug has bitten again. Not sure the status on Bill but the sidekick in interested.

GA Mafia.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #337 on: May 27, 2010, »
Well,

I received the Mighty Mini today.  Hooked it up temp like so I could put it side by side with the Aether.  I will be doing a video to show them this weekend but I was wrong on my estimates. I had said I felt the Aether would put out about 2 times the light and at this point I will say 3 - 4 times the light. There is not much comparision between the two. I am not saying the mighty mini is not bright. It just is not in the same class with an Aether. I would need maybe three to do what one Aether can do. I did the video with my photo camera so it is not the best. I will have a much better demo of the two after this weekend.

RJ
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, by RJ »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #338 on: May 30, 2010, »
I'm am working to setup a quick beta for the Aether and will need to get the coop moving as some of the parts are not stock in large enough quanititys so there will be wait time on them.

A few things to be aware of,

There will be only one coop this year for the Aether and this will be based on enough quanity to hit a price break worth the effort for the coop manager.

Do to a number of reasons including part cost in one quanitities and the dead requirement of no subisitute parts for the project the Aether will not be offered as a PCB only option at anytime as far out as I can see. There will be no extra pcbs ordered only enough for the coop kits.

I have posted 4 build videos for everyone to see what is involved in building an Aether. It is easily within the ability of anyone wanting to.

The coop will be under $100 for the kit. How much under I can not say yet but low end would be in the $85 range. This will build a flood light thats capabilites I have not seen matched for under $500 - $600.

Do not confuse this with the $40 and $50 options which are just leds on a board that you supply the power supply and controller. This is a complete self contained unit that includes the power supply and controller. It does not use cheap chinese leds, it uses top of the line high performance leds with much higher power, more light per watt and much better reliabilty. It uses constant current to drive the leds to insure maximum output with maximum life of the led.

The output of this flood is far beyond there abilities. 

It has built in temp monitoring of the leds to insure you can never do anything dumb with the unit and over heat it. The unit will limit output if needed all the way to shutting it off to keep the temps in the optimum range. While it is highly unlikely you would operate it in conditions requiring it I wanted it bullet proof.

The light runs off of 120v AC (240v AC with a mod) or 24 v DC (DC only).

It operates off of any DMX source including the wireless of which an EX/RX can be built in to it to make it a stand alone power only required device.

It has a manual feature that allows a toggle switch to be added to the back of the case to turn the light on maximum white output manually with no dmx only power supplied. This is handy for aimming while setting up or for using it as a worklight.

You can add lens to the unit to change the angle of the light throw to taylor it for you needs. These lens are cost effective and come in 30 deg, 15 deg and 6 deg.

I will be releasing firmware for it later that makes one of them act as a master to control any others attached to it and run stand alone color transistions for house, landscape, pool type lighting applications. These will only require power and a cat5 cable daisy chained between them to get the commands back and forth to the slaves. No computer will be needed to do this.

RJ

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
« Reply #339 on: May 30, 2010, »
Thanks for the "Heads Up" RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #340 on: May 30, 2010, »
Video of some testing for your entertainment!

RJ

Offline justdoug

« Reply #341 on: May 31, 2010, »
The Aether rocks!  I was excited about my first LE coop, and the wireless coop, but this one is over the top.

I expect most people to use make use of this light both in their display at Christmas and around the house the rest of the year.  Mine will be doing landscape duty at the cottage in the summer.

Do you know what the LED life expectancy is?
Do you expect to include the 18 (6 LED x 3 angles) lenses in the coop?
Since the Aether cases are readily available, I'm assuming they won't be part of the coop.  Please confirm.

Thanks for your hard work and attention to detail.

...Doug.

Offline CW

« Reply #342 on: May 31, 2010, »
Hey RJ
I am really excited that this will be my first DIY project.  You have put so much thought and design experience into Aether that is just hard to put words to.  I am not a chatty person, and you have drawn me out with this project.  I hope I can contribute even just a little.

I have a question, how far do you think it will illuminate in distance?  I have a 70' cedar tree next to my home and I have always wanted to decorate for Christmas, and this may just to that.

Thanks and I really look forward to being part of this group.

Craig

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #343 on: May 31, 2010, »
Video of some testing for your entertainment!

RJ

Yeah but where is the snow and ice?

Joking

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline golights

« Reply #344 on: May 31, 2010, »
RJ,  I read your earlier post on the aether coop and the reasoning for your thoughts.  Not offering a pcb option makes senses in some ways, but I would like to see more than one coop for the aether this year.  Because this is a new project and the cost might be prohibitive for some, makes having more than one coop  ideal.  I could see my self having up to 12 of these led fixtures, but not truly knowing the effectiveness of or  the limitations of the fixture I would prefer to purchase maybe 2 to begin with and see if the usefulness of the fixture out ways the costs.  Having only one coop for the aether makes that difficult.  If only one coop was to be offered this year than I think pcb's should be offered.  This is a DIY site and the DMX dongle is a prime example of how the members work together to find suitable parts when mousers is out of stock. Ultimately this will be your decision to make, but seeing the amount of time and energy you have spent on this project and how proud you are of its outcome, I would hope that maybe another coop would be offered this year.   As always thank you for your hard work and love of DIY.  We as members have grown from your being a part of our lives.