Author Topic: Cable COOP ?????  (Read 1823 times)

Offline comporder1

Cable COOP ?????
« on: February 02, 2010, »
I have been working on cable quotes for a couple of weeks now. I feel like there has got to be better source for cables than what is out there. There is no secret that shipping can eat up any discounts that we may find by putting together a coop. But what I have found is that for about the same price as some vendors out there, we may be able to get a better, more suitable product. I have attached a pdf breakdown of the best quote I have gotten so far. I still have several more quotes that have not come in, but I wanted to go ahead and post this before too many more people ordered on there own. I would be happy to run this coop if it were to come about.

Please post your thoughts after you vote. Thanks,

Carey

Offline deplanche

Re: Cable COOP ?????
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, »
It should be noted in your comparison pricing that the Home Depot cords are 6' long, compared to the 2' long ones you are discussing.  That extra 4' of wire can make a big difference depending on your setup, or can cut off and used for other things.

Not saying that having the prepared ends isn't a good idea.  Just want to make sure people are comparing like things.

Offline comporder1

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It should be noted in your comparison pricing that the Home Depot cords are 6' long, compared to the 2' long ones you are discussing.  That extra 4' of wire can make a big difference depending on your setup, or can cut off and used for other things.

Not saying that having the prepared ends isn't a good idea.  Just want to make sure people are comparing like things.

Good point. Thanks for noting that.

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, »
Yes, we've been through this many times and the cost saving is not worth the time spent to organize, order and ship these out. Home Depot offers 6' coords at $0.97 on a daily basis year round and if you get one of those $10 off $50 coupon from Lowes (which they offer atleast once or twice every two months) your looking at 0.78 a coord before tax. Can't really beat that. I have already accepted the fact that coords are one of the most expensive items in this hobby and the coords at Home Depot in terms of price and availability is hard to match or beat.

P.S. forgot to mention that Lowes offer them for the same price as well.

It should be noted in your comparison pricing that the Home Depot cords are 6' long, compared to the 2' long ones you are discussing.  That extra 4' of wire can make a big difference depending on your setup, or can cut off and used for other things.

Not saying that having the prepared ends isn't a good idea.  Just want to make sure people are comparing like things.

Good point. Thanks for noting that.

Offline solidmodeler

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, »
Just from my own trials and tribulations.
Some SPT1 or SPT2 cord (which you will probably need to get to your lights any way) and Vampire plug from CDI (or other source) and you can have any length for about 60 cents plus 9-12 cents a foot. Longer the cord cheaper it gets comparatively. Need to modify for  longer/shorter one next year slide off the plug, cut or replace cord, slide back on the old plug.
Michael

Lights, more lights, more controllers, more, more, more

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, »
Just from my own trials and tribulations.
Some SPT1 or SPT2 cord (which you will probably need to get to your lights any way) and Vampire plug from CDI (or other source) and you can have any length for about 60 cents plus 9-12 cents a foot. Longer the cord cheaper it gets comparatively. Need to modify for  longer/shorter one next year slide off the plug, cut or replace cord, slide back on the old plug.

FYI they drop their price to .17 a ft. spt2
Jeff

Offline comporder1

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, »
Ok, well there does seem to be some intrest in putting together a coop. I too agree that we need to get the price better. I am still looking for a good price. I have continued to stay in contact with the salesman from the manufacturer that quoted the current prices. He says that copper prices in china are at an all time high. He say that a price change on march 1 could help us out. We will see.

If you haven't voted, please do. You can also change your vote if you want. ;)

Carey