Author Topic: Dongle Design Question  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
Dongle Design Question
« on: February 14, 2010, »
I have been involved in a discussion in another forum about DMX and a question has come up about how the Lynx dongle works.  I believe I have read that pins 1 and 2 are used for data transmission but that there is no common or ground pun.  Is that true on the Lynx dongle?  If so, what is the reasoning behind it?  I though the DMX standard suggested pin 7 or 8 be connected to ground.

I did find this comment in the RJ45 standards section interesting since I believe LOR uses pins 4 and 5:

The avoidance of pins 4 and 5 helps to prevent equipment damage, if the cabling is accidentally plugged into a single-line public switched telephone network phone jack.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Dongle Design Question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have been involved in a discussion in another forum about DMX and a question has come up about how the Lynx dongle works.  I believe I have read that pins 1 and 2 are used for data transmission but that there is no common or ground pun.  Is that true on the Lynx dongle?  If so, what is the reasoning behind it?  I though the DMX standard suggested pin 7 or 8 be connected to ground.

I did find this comment in the RJ45 standards section interesting since I believe LOR uses pins 4 and 5:

The avoidance of pins 4 and 5 helps to prevent equipment damage, if the cabling is accidentally plugged into a single-line public switched telephone network phone jack.

Hi Ron,

I do believe that the dongle follows a DMX-512 standard. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I see 3 traces going to the rj-45 connector on the dongle pcb

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, »
That's good Rick, I was not at a point where I could look at a dongle and just wanted confirmation.  All I could find in the forum was a reference that it was not grounded.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, »
That's good Rick, I was not at a point where I could look at a dongle and just wanted confirmation.  All I could find in the forum was a reference that it was not grounded.

The output device should ground the cable to itself but to prevent ground loops the equipment should not hook to this ground. But not everyone follows this and if it works it does not matter does it. 

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, »
Nope, doesn't matter to me because it works.  I was just trying to understand better.

Ron