Author Topic: another hand held dmx tester  (Read 34456 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: another hand held dmx tester
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2010, »
Cool Project Rob/Phil..  Leave me the back open so I can add a suface mount pic and Rf module to it so I can have my wireless DMX tester I want and have not had the time to build. I think that would kick!

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Great job guys I just wish I had have of yall's brains well this is all I can do keep up the GREAT WORK 'now how to convince the bank
Jeff

Offline Aussiephil

• My Controllers
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2010, »
Cool Project Rob/Phil..  Leave me the back open so I can add a suface mount pic and Rf module to it so I can have my wireless DMX tester I want and have not had the time to build. I think that would kick!

RJ

RJ

I really really want to do this with a surface mount PIC for the main one as they are simple to solder...

If you care to share the required footprint for the additional parts i would be happy to integrate, respecting your IP, the circuit would not be published as part of the original project. Or i would be happy to provide connection for a daughter board near the top of the pcb.

Your call RJ...
Cheers
Never enough time
Dont Forget - "Play Nicely"

Offline Aussiephil

• My Controllers
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, »

Great job guys I just wish I had have of yall's brains well this is all I can do keep up the GREAT WORK 'now how to convince the bank

Link wants me to sign up.... what's the case it points to?

Cheers
Phil
Never enough time

Offline rob

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2010, »
Phil what program are you using for PCB layout?  and some more  input from RJ on what would be needed for RF interface would be great. even if  he just wants a header. what i would like to know is can he make a daughter board that will accept the TX,RX,and the select from RC4 the way it is for wireless TX/RX or if he would need any thing else i will be happy to modify the code for what he needs just for that feature. also the only pins that are locked in and cannot be changed on the chip for the functions are RC6,RC7,RC5 and the crystal.  every thing else can be changed at the top of the asm code program .  that will make the board layout easyer.  in the origional testing of the code all my switches were on port B and the LCD was on ports A and C. i will make a drawing real quick for a visual example.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, by rob »

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2010, »

RJ

Now that would be awesome!

Offline Aussiephil

• My Controllers
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2010, »
Phil what program are you using for PCB layout?  and some more  input from RJ on what would be needed for RF interface would be great. even if  he just wants a header. what i would like to know is can he make a daughter board that will accept the TX,RX,and the select from RC4 the way it is for wireless TX/RX or if he would need any thing else i will be happy to modify the code for what he needs just for that feature. also the only pins that are locked in and cannot be changed on the chip for the functions are RC6,RC7,RC5 and the crystal.  every thing else can be changed at the top of the asm code program .  that will make the board layout easyer.  in the origional testing of the code all my switches were on port B and the LCD was on ports A and C. i will make a drawing real quick for a visual example.

Rob, i use WinQcad, i like it and have got good at using it now. I'm already bouncing the TX,RX via a 6 pin header that provides 5v and ground for use with Wireless, need to make that a 8 pin to add select, three jumpers to use internal rs485.... now if you then added a switch you could select wired or wireless as required.  mmm

I'm happy with the pin assignments for the board layout, i've complicated it with all the headers for various bits. Hand routing it will be simple and tidy it up really well, it will change from the post last night.
Well it will be simple after the 120ch controller i finished couple nights ago... now i know how RJ felt doing the freestyle :)

Cheers
Phil
Never enough time

David_AVD

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2010, »
Phil, maybe make the wired / wireless option software selectable?

Offline Aussiephil

• My Controllers
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2010, »
Phil, maybe make the wired / wireless option software selectable?

But i so love a good toggle switch :)

I some ways the existing header takes care of it at a practical level

cheers
Phil
Never enough time

Offline Aussiephil

• My Controllers
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2010, »
Update: 11.45pm local time

New layout.

Added RJ45 footprints so you can put this into a normal ABS Case and have the cables at one end
Wireless Header increased to 7 pins to allow for select line to be taken off board.
Provision to mount LCD (90 degrees) to work in the ABS case rather than chosen case. Haven't quite got room to duplicate the switch footprints.

Still only auto routed at this stage, i will need to tweak the RJ45's once i have the case in hand then i can complete the routing correctly.

Provisonal PCB cost delivered to me
20 - $12.00 each
50 - $8.00 each
100 - $5.75 each

Never enough time

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

Watching with interest.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2010, »
Looks very nice; having a 4-line display makes things much easier than my 2-line version.  I too had difficulty finding a good case, preferrably with the LCD cutout already.  The board layout looks good, but the VCC/GND stripes look too thn.
/mike

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2010, »

Link wants me to sign up.... what's the case it points to?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Heres a picture
Cheers
Phil
Jeff

Offline Aussiephil

• My Controllers
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2010, »
Looks very nice; having a 4-line display makes things much easier than my 2-line version.  I too had difficulty finding a good case, preferrably with the LCD cutout already.  The board layout looks good, but the VCC/GND stripes look too thn.
/mike

Whilst the cutout might be larger than required on the case i found the website says they are supplied with a mask/cutout kit that hides the extra space, so this should work, i'll know when i get a case in my hand.

Mike remember that is purely an autorouted board, all traces will be re-drawn to correct widths once i have final component placements :)

Jeff: they look interesting - can you get technical drawing for those so i can check if design pcb fits?

Phil
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, by Aussiephil »
Never enough time

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2010, »
Looks very nice; having a 4-line display makes things much easier than my 2-line version.  I too had difficulty finding a good case, preferrably with the LCD cutout already.  The board layout looks good, but the VCC/GND stripes look too thn.
/mike

Whilst the cutout might be larger than required on the case i found the website says they are supplied with a mask/cutout kit that hides the extra space, so this should work, i'll know when i get a case in my hand.

Mike remember that is purely an autorouted board, all traces will be re-drawn to correct widths once i have final component placements :)

Jeff: they look interesting - can you get technical drawing for those so i can check if design pcb fits?

The cad Drawings are provided hope this helps

Phil
Jeff