Author Topic: another hand held dmx tester  (Read 34459 times)

Offline jap813

• if you believe it, you can achieve it
Re: another hand held dmx tester
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2010, »
looks like a cool project, have you looked at frys electronics they have some cases in the store that have a cutout and battery compartment in the same case

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2010, »
Phil can you fit an EX/RX in it ? Use the same fittings and I will mod a EXRX with the new module for it. It has the 3.3v reg on it we can bend over like in the SSR's.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Aussiephil

• My Controllers
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Phil can you fit an EX/RX in it ? Use the same fittings and I will mod a EXRX with the new module for it. It has the 3.3v reg on it we can bend over like in the SSR's.

RJ

RJ
I'll make that a very definate maybe, i'll check tonight. It looks like it will be too high with the default connectors you use though.
Assume the v2 board is the same essential layout as a v1 board.

Will the v2 EX/RX be able to transmit?

Cheers
Phil
Never enough time
Dont Forget - "Play Nicely"

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2010, »
Let me put it this way,

Only the modified one I do for this, if you can get it in there.

Yes ver1 is the same as ver 2 ex/rx except I added some leds.

How about no connectors? we just solder leads in both sides holes to attach it direct to your pcb? need to keep the antenna in the clear as much as possible.

RJ

Offline Aussiephil

• My Controllers
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2010, »
RJ

i'll leave the masses to clamour........

the 2x4 connector setup is easy, plenty of room as long as the physical board fits in the space i can picture, antenna should be ok.

I actually suspect that the new v2 tx/rx board would fit as well, and could work really well.

As far as not connectors, i already have a seven pin .1" header that exposes TX/RX/SEL, easy to have it cabled as well :)
Never enough time

Offline rob

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2010, »
hello Phil

looks like you are having fun.  for your sake i would lock into one case style.  dump the extra header for the lcd and the two extra RJ45 jack locations. only a few people would use the o-scope trigger not that big of a deal to most.  i think the biggest deal is making sure RJ wireless board can fit in there with a on/off switch it , cause that is going to be a battery life sucker if it is not used .  i can add a menu at the begining to select wireless on and off but i dont know if we can just use a mosfet to supply power to RJ wireless card or not.  may be just as easy to put a slide switch on the side.  the other thing i wonder about is if the wireless card is just piggy backed onto the same signals as the RS485 chip should that be switched as well or can we just add a resistor network to keep the two from fighting each other.  would not be that big of a deal on the TX side of things but on the receiving side of things since the 485 chip is driving RC7 on the pic high when no dmx input. that will keep the wireless unit from putting signal into the dmx tester.  i am more than willing to help change anything in the source code and help with hardware a digital switch could be added to help with the switching of the signals. 

Offline Aussiephil

• My Controllers
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2010, »
Rob,

Love a good challenge.

The two case styles add huge versatilty and cost nothing. except my time to tweak the board layout and think in 3D.

I've just drawn a footprint for the EXRX based on the v1 board i have here and the RF module antenna, the good news is it seems to physical fit in the 1592 case with the antenna in the clear to the left hand side of the LCD window top bit, might not be the ideal orientation but it fits.

The next measurement will be 3D vertically and i won't confirm that till i have a 1592 case in my hand, based on measurements and the case cad drawing it will be tight having to go over the through hole pic, a SMT PIC would make life a bit easier.

The SMT pics are simple to solder , see picture :)

I think the slide switch will be a simple solution to turn wireless on and off. I actually plan to build mine with a row on pushbuttons in the case below the display and then things like power switch and DMX terminate as toggles on the bottom half with unit.
A toggle can also be used to switch from wired to wireless if you build it with a wireless option, thus removing the piggyback issue, i had already solved the issue by using the seven pin header, just need to now ensure that i now add a couple of pins so its fully selectable.
Cheers
Phil
Never enough time

Offline rob

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2010, »
  smt don't scare me.  i am with you, it is easier to work imho.  Here is some pics of a allegro 6281 3 chan led driver  mounted on a board that i made with a modified sheline cnc mill. it is a 16pin QFN that is 3mm x 3mm.  i am happier with the mill being able to mill the .2mm or .008" between the pads. than my ability to mount the chip on the board . it was a fun project.
I am glad you are having fun with this project and very happy you picked it up.

Rob
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, by rob »

Offline Aussiephil

• My Controllers
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2010, »
Rob

Nice milling job.
the no lead QFN packages do scare me as you just can't an underchip short, my 120ch board uses
LQFP48: plastic low profile quad flat package; 48 leads; body 7 x 7 x 1.4 mm
They will be scary enough, plan is for anyone who wants a board that i will reflow solder these in place as part of the pcb before sending :)

anyway off-topic.

Back on, i have ordered a case, it should be here monday, hopefully the LCD will arrive during the week then i can confirm all the spacings, till then it's back to other stuff for a few days... must update the other thread as well.

Cheers
Phil
Never enough time

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2010, »
Just use a DPDT slide switch to switch the RS485 in and out on one pole and power on and off to the wireless on the other so one switch enables and disables the wireless.

Phil I not sure on what you are thinking with the header but I need 5v and ground and the out of the rs485 chip to the wireless tx setup.

RJ

Offline Aussiephil

• My Controllers
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2010, »
Just use a DPDT slide switch to switch the RS485 in and out on one pole and power on and off to the wireless on the other so one switch enables and disables the wireless.

Phil I not sure on what you are thinking with the header but I need 5v and ground and the out of the rs485 chip to the wireless tx setup.

RJ

RJ,

The Header currently exposes the following

1 - RX RS485
2 - RX PIC Chip
3 - 5v
4 - Gnd
5 - TX Pic Chip
6 - TX Rs485
7 - Select (DE/DI?)

Jumper 1-2 and 5-6 for wired, remove jumpers and connect cable for wireless.

Plan to change to.

1 - RX RS485
2 - RX PIC Chip
3 - RX Wireles Pic
4 - 5v
5 - Gnd
6 - TX Wireless Pic
7 - TX Pic Chip
8 - TX Rs485
9 - Select (DE/DI?)

If you use a switch then leave header pins off and wire switch direct to board.

I'll wire the EXRX module to pins 3,4,5. TX trace could go to an un-used module pin as well

If i'm not making sense sorry, i can visualise but not always explain.

Phil
Never enough time

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2010, »
What I am trying to do is use an existing pcb. I can not afford to develop another pcb just for this so that is what I am getting at. Can we get a EX/RX in it as the EX/RX is somehow? If so I can make it a transmitter.

It does not have to have wireless, it is just something I have been planning for a couple years and just have not got around to yet.

RJ   

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2010, »
I think Phil's idea is to leave the connector off the RX/EX and instead put on a pigtail that plugs into the appropriate pins (TX pic, +5, GND)  of the tester, either directly for the wireless version, or through a switch if you want to be able to switch between wired and wireless.   If you don't want wireless at all, just jumper the PIC pins to the 75176 pins.

If the RX/EX doesn't need to send data back to the tester, it gets easier since you don't need to disconnect the 75176 since it doesn't matter if you send data out the RJ45 when you are in wireless mode.  Then the switch is simply a DPST to open +5 and TXD when you want to turn off the wireless.

/mike

Offline Aussiephil

• My Controllers
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2010, »
What I am trying to do is use an existing pcb. I can not afford to develop another pcb just for this so that is what I am getting at. Can we get a EX/RX in it as the EX/RX is somehow? If so I can make it a transmitter.

It does not have to have wireless, it is just something I have been planning for a couple years and just have not got around to yet.

RJ   

The EX/RX board will fit (just need to confirm vertical space) plenty of room on the main PCB i just need to know which pin on that module you want the TX trace to be attached to.

Phil
Never enough time

Offline Aussiephil

• My Controllers
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2010, »
I think Phil's idea is to leave the connector off the RX/EX and instead put on a pigtail that plugs into the appropriate pins (TX pic, +5, GND)  of the tester, either directly for the wireless version, or through a switch if you want to be able to switch between wired and wireless.   If you don't want wireless at all, just jumper the PIC pins to the 75176 pins.

If the RX/EX doesn't need to send data back to the tester, it gets easier since you don't need to disconnect the 75176 since it doesn't matter if you send data out the RJ45 when you are in wireless mode.  Then the switch is simply a DPST to open +5 and TXD when you want to turn off the wireless.

/mike

Close but not quite.

I have enough room to provide direct plug in connection for the EXRX board as is, the EXRX currently has RX +5 and Gnd connections, these will have traces laid direct back to the 9 way jumper/header block.
If it is to be used for TX, it would be good if RJ allocated a spare pin for TX.

Three options then open up.
Jumper for wired use only
Jumper for wireless use only
extend connections to toggle switch and switch wired and wireless.

I guess i'm not explaining this very well.

Phil
Never enough time