Author Topic: another hand held dmx tester  (Read 34458 times)

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
Re: another hand held dmx tester
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2010, »
waiting anxiously...  <pop..

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline Aussiephil

• My Controllers
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2010, »
Rob

Thanks for the update, just let me know when you lock in the pin assignments and i'll hand route the pcb... everything seems to fit :)

Great work  <res.

Cheers
Phil
Never enough time
Dont Forget - "Play Nicely"

Offline rob

« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2010, »
Phil
got the new schematic ready for ya.  the code will be finalized  and  posted a little later.  it all works together just fine.  now i have to add the extra menus for the data display. i will do a new pdf manual
and post the code and the schematic all together for every one.  about the only thing that changes are the pins the switches are on and a resistor from RC7 to RC2 for the CCP.  i have tested the received timing as far as the enttec dmx pro will allow from a refresh rate of 40hz down to 1hz it seems to be  with in a few  tenths of microsecond. as far as i can tell by calculations and the o-scope.   

Rob
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, by rob »

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2010, »
Rob-
  I'd hook up pins 15 and 16 on the display to 5V with a series resistor; that way you can use a backlit display if you want to, and can leave the resistor off if you don't.  Also, there are a few connections without junction dots, where a signal connect to a pin at right angles, for example, the hot side of R4 .  This may just be a quirk of Eagle. 
/mike

Offline rob

« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2010, »
Mike that is my quirk i will update and repost .  as far as the back light i would really suggest picking a resistor value according to the battery or  power supply that is used.  running it from the regulator makes some extra heat.

Offline tpctech

« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2010, »
Hi,

What a great tester!!   :)  I fortunately have a Doug Flenor Gizmo but the one you guys are designing is great.  I came across another case company.  A buddy uses their aluminum case for some two-way radio interfaces he has built.
The cases look pretty nice.  I have not seen any of the plastic cases.  I do like the protective sleeves!!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

KEN

Offline Aussiephil

• My Controllers
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Mike that is my quirk i will update and repost .  as far as the back light i would really suggest picking a resistor value according to the battery or  power supply that is used.  running it from the regulator makes some extra heat.

Rob, thanks for the update. The regulator i've chosen should be fine from a 3 week old memory.

Mike, backlighting already taken into account on my redraw of the circuit. I added the backlight switch and resistor as a matter of course.

Ken, they look nice but the 100mm (4inch) wide 4x20 lcd won't fit :(

Cheers
Phil
Never enough time
Dont Forget - "Play Nicely"

Offline rob

« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2010, »
here is the hex file for the handheld DMX tester/programmer. it is all the same but with a new menu added under the receive section.  DMX TIMING it catches the break, MAB, first FRAME timing, break to break time, refreshrate and number of channels + startcode..  there are some limits to the timing BREAK,MAB,and FRAME timing are all limited to 6553.5us it wont accuratly catch any thing over 6ms,  break to break timing is unlimited it has been tested from 1Hz to 40Hz with a enttec dmx pro and up to 44Hz with the other handheld tester.  it was also tested with the DMX minimum packet timing of 1196us or 836Hz. that would be
break 88us + MAB 8us + start code 44us +(24ch X 44us).  the closes i could get it was 1199.3us but it works.  I will get a new pdf put together with the added menu. Hope you guys enjoy.

Rob

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

Thanks to you guys for working on this!

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2010, »
Wow! You guys must be having fun.   <res.

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline egenoup

« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2010, »
Any updates on this project?  time frame?   <pop..

Charles

Offline rob

« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2010, »
I have not added any thing new. but i still need to add the dmx timing information to the manual. i have been busy with projects around the house.

Rob

Offline rob

« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2010, »
well i decided that i will try to wrap  this project up in a hand held case and see about getting board made.  i just ordered a hand held enclosure that has a battery holder for 4AA .  will put in 2 rj45 connector,  dc power jack, back lit pushbuttons.

Rob

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2010, »
I'm looking forward to seeing a completed one!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2010, »
COOL!!!  When is the Coop?!?!?!?!
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving