Author Topic: New Coop coming up...  (Read 10666 times)

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
Re: New Coop coming up...
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, »
Just looking at the drawings, getting better understanding the DMX universe for Lynx.

Couple of questions.

1. You do not show any SSR4-DMX units in the drawings.
2. No mention which controllers should have the termination activate.
3. For some of us who have LOR controller, could a few samples be shown of LOR controllers added to the Lynx universe?
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Caliente Christmas

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, »
The SSR4-DMX units are stand alone.  You do not need anything but a dongle connected to them.  they also can be daisy chained off the Freestyle or another lynx devices.

If you look at the bottom of the picture you will see a Lynx 16 ch.  and SSR4 and another Lynx daisy chained.

The only thing you would need to do to the SSR4-DMX is provide the first channel (1-512) 

some where at the bottom of the page show how to set up the DMX channel prgramming,  also RJ has new app out so you can do the programmnig from your PC.  all you will need is the Dongle

Lynx Utility
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

SSR4 programming  W/ Vixen

Offline tbone321

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, »
Just looking at the drawings, getting better understanding the DMX universe for Lynx.

Couple of questions.

1. You do not show any SSR4-DMX units in the drawings.
2. No mention which controllers should have the termination activate.
3. For some of us who have LOR controller, could a few samples be shown of LOR controllers added to the Lynx universe?

The SSR4-DMX units connect in like any other DMX device such as the Freestyle or an Express.  Just be sure that the jumpers are set for DMX operation and the start channel is set.  The terminator is used to stop signal reflections along the string and belong on the end of a DMX string.  This means that they should be active on any device that does not have another device plugged into the DMX out 1 jack.   This is important for the Express and the splitter because they have more than one output and only DMX out1 is part of the continuing string.  Outputs above 1 are regenerated from the 485 chip and are actually the beginning of a new string so if you have an express with another device plugged into DMX out 2 and nothing plugged into DMX out 1 then that Express is the end of one string as well as the beginning of another so its terminator should be set on.  If they have something plugged into DMX out1 then they are not at the end of the string and the terminator should not be enabled on that device.  Remember that it is really a DMX universe, not a lynx universe so you have to be sure that your LOR controllers are configured to work with DMX and have the correct start channel set.  Then all you need are some cable adapters to wire them in and that can be found on the WIKI
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline tmtfield

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, »
Thanks Keith.
One of these days it will all come together and the dizziness will go away.

John

Hey John,

When you get the dizziness to go away please share the secret. ;)
I am a newbie as well. All I am sure of is that I am getting less and less sleep every night, and my basement is filling up with some really bizarre electronic pieces.  :D

Keith;

Thanks, I will be ready for an order if a coop opens

Tim
Debating with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead

Tim

Offline thshadow

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, »
Hey all.. I am a relative newbie... just finished building the dongle and actually had gotten an SSR PCB to build while waiting on the Coop and the LE Coop to be sorted (poor RJ and JJ)... anyway with that said I can say the build for the SSR is simpler than the Dongle... the SSR with DMX added is a bit more time consuming... so I wouldn't recommend turning lots of SSR into DMX but rather SSRs controlled via Freestyles just because it will save you lots of time... (well I think) haven't built the Freestyle yet... waiting for this coop to build some... but if you want a first easy build the SSR with DMX seems really simple... not sure about how it compares to the LE or Freestyle in terms of the build... looking to use these in pairs for arches... as seems arches are 8 channels on average...

- Mike

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, »
so I wouldn't recommend turning lots of SSR into DMX but rather SSRs controlled via Freestyles just because it will save you lots of time... (well I think) haven't built the Freestyle yet... - Mike

:o :o :o ;D ;D

Build the 128 channel Freestyle and get back to me on this! LOL

Like over 1000 solder joints to populate the Fs!

RJ

Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline ponddude

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, »
The Freestyle soldering doesn't look bad, and than you put in all 34 modular jacks and you realize how screwed you are... :P
Greg

Offline Caliente Christmas

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, »
I build the Dongle as a trial to see if i can do solder and than I tackled the express V4.
I used Rj Video instructions and in no time I was complete. The Video was confidence builder when i was putting the express together.

I suggest to just take your time.  
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, by Caliente Christmas »

Offline thshadow

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, »

:o :o :o ;D ;D

Build the 128 channel Freestyle and get back to me on this! LOL

Like over 1000 solder joints to populate the Fs!

RJ

Well I didn't say it was painless... I just know the SSR was a super fast build... the add DMX part after that got a bit slower... however if I do it again I would change the order I solder stuff a lot ;) the wiki gets the SSR build in no time... however when you hit the and now to add the DMX part it is like duh... should have read a bit further and added some of those parts during the first phase of soldering... like the other two jumper terminals ;) 

Seriously though can you ever solder enough rj45 jacks... I think not...

RJ now you are worrying me  :o as to what I embarked on with trying a FS.

Offline Aussiephil

• My Controllers
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2010, »
For all the newbies.....

Please don't be scared by the big bad RJ and the 1000 solder joints...

It's more time consuming and repetative than it is actually hard.

Now if you want hard (and repetative) come and share the 26,000 solder joints to make the RGB strings for my megatree :)

As pointed out each of the controllers has it's place, I use a freestyle with SSR's for all my 240v rope light.

Cheers
Phil

Never enough time
Dont Forget - "Play Nicely"

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

Hey, RJ!!!  Stop sabotaging my Coop!   ;D  ;D  ;D

I thought we figured closer to 800+ solder joints, anyway.  Have to count again.

Don't let RJ mess with your minds.  He's breathing all those exhaust fumes from his Transformer car.

I've built several dozen FreeStyles.  After the first 10 or so, you don't even worry about it.  Just pop in another part and solder until well done.   :D

The Express gets the glory.  But the FreeStyle is what built this city.  That and Rock and Roll, or at least Jingle Bell Rock.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline Aussiephil

• My Controllers
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2010, »
Keith

I had to grab a board and count
RJ45 - 34x8 = 272
HCT273 - 16x20 = 320
hct4514 - 1x24 = 24
PIC - 1x28 = 28
Other = 58

Total = 702

I got curious then, the 48ch Tiger boards have around 730 (i lost count) solder joints!
Phil
Never enough time
Dont Forget - "Play Nicely"

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

Yep, been a while since I've worried about such.   ;D

Also, whether you count tinning leads on the only single one ac cord coming in to the FS.  Not the incredibly huge number of 18 for the Express.   ;D

Keith

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

Hey, RJ!!!  Stop sabotaging my Coop!   ;D  ;D  ;D
Keith

Sorry, that was not the intent!

I just thought it was funny he said it is less work to build some SSR's with DMX than a Freestyle. It is not hard at all. As said it is just repeatitive.  It is nothing compared to building a LedTriks! I had it out for people back then I guess. LOL

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

Is this a bad time  to say that LedTriks II will require placing individual phosphor dots on the screen?

Keith

;D