Author Topic: questions  (Read 4054 times)

Offline ratroder

questions
« on: February 17, 2010, »
i have a lor network non-dmx. i am looking to add some of the lynx controllers to my network. i was wondering if the lynx controllers can be Daisy chained together and  can the lynx controllers be put in line with the lor controllers. example: lor, lor, lynx, lor, lor.

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Re: questions
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

You need DMX to control the Lynx units.  We have people who are using both with DMX, you just have to have a connecting cable with the proper wires switched anytime you changed from Lynx to Lor or back.  That's if you are controlling with DMX.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline ratroder

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, »
i know that i need a dmx unit. Can i run the cat5 line that comes out of the dmx unit (the lor one)  to my first lor then to the lynx controller, then run an output cable from the lynx to the next lor in the chain.

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

Here should be some info to help better explain.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You need a simple cable with the wires switched any time you go from Lor to Lynx or back.  So it should work the way you want.

Keith
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, by KeithTarpley »

Offline ratroder

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, »
so if i make the said device and put one on the line in of the lynx and one on the line out of the lynx (to the next controller) i will be able to put the lynx and the lor controllers where ever i wan in the network, correct?

if i split the line out from the dmx-unit and used one of the split sides for the lynx and one for the lor, would that work?

how do the lynx show up in the lor software? 

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

I'm not well enough versed in Lor software to speak on that.  Someone else is bound to jump in.

As long as you have a cable adapter anytime you switch between Lynx and Lor, you can daisy chain within the limits of DMX connections.

To split DMX, you need a DMX splitter, or using the current version of the Lynx Express, which has a built in splitter for wired connections.

Keith

Offline sims101

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, »
If you are using lor s2 software you need the idmx 1000 from lor.and it  is only going to control 256 channels If your run dmx .The lynx express will come off the idmx 1000 and your lor controllerswill daisy chain in to the i dmx1000 then the xlr out put to lynx express with pin 1 and 2 You can look in the wiki on lor pin outs .but I would use RJs dongle because it will control the 512dmx for 3/4 of the price of the idmx 1000 at 256.00 but you will have to use vixen software and update the firmware on your lor controllers to 4.30 or higher to run dmx and change the cat 5 cabling it is does this help

Offline Caliente Christmas

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, »
Like to add there is also a LOR to Vixen converter, if you want to use your sequencing from LOR.  If I find the app, I will post for you.

Offline ponddude

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, »
If you are using lor s2 software you need the idmx 1000 from lor.and it  is only going to control 256 channels If your run dmx .The lynx express will come off the idmx 1000 and your lor controllerswill daisy chain in to the i dmx1000 then the xlr out put to lynx express with pin 1 and 2 You can look in the wiki on lor pin outs .but I would use RJs dongle because it will control the 512dmx for 3/4 of the price of the idmx 1000 at 256.00 but you will have to use vixen software and update the firmware on your lor controllers to 4.30 or higher to run dmx and change the cat 5 cabling it is does this help

The iDMX how supports 512 channels and 64 intelligent channels.  The firmware was just released.

Greg
Greg

Offline sims101

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, »
I think that is beta testing only on their web site it still ver 1.30 it is the same

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, »
That brings up an interesting question.

Is there a standard pin out for using a RJ45 for DMX?
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline sims101

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, »
lor uses pin 4 and 5 and the lynx use pin 1 and 2 the firmware in lor has to have 4.30 or higher to run dmx that is if you not using the s2 software

Offline memphislights

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, »

There is a pic in the last post showing how you would interconnect Lynx and LOR.

There are diagrams on what wires need to cross in order for Lynx and LOR to talk.

It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, »
That brings up an interesting question.

Is there a standard pin out for using a RJ45 for DMX?

Yes the standard defines it in the DMX over cat5 standard. The Lynx equipment adheres to it but lor had to use what they already where so it does not.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline ponddude

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, »
I think that is beta testing only on their web site it still ver 1.30 it is the same

Sims, you are correct.  I always forget that I am a beta tester for LOR and end up with things sooner.

I have been testing the 512 channels with LOR and it has been working just fine.  LOR should be releasing the firmware as well as the newest version of S2 very soon.

Sorry about that confusion :P
Greg