Author Topic: questions  (Read 4055 times)

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
Re: questions
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That brings up an interesting question.

Is there a standard pin out for using a RJ45 for DMX?

Yes the standard defines it in the DMX over cat5 standard. The Lynx equipment adheres to it but lor had to use what they already where so it does not.

RJ

That is going to make it interesting if you mix LOR/D-Light and Lynx controller locations in the display.  Got to think how to allocated the controllers in the display to minimize the conversion of the RS-485 signal.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, by Dennis Cherry »
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, »
It has not been an issue for the many users using Lynx with LOR. you make up a couple of cat5 convertor cables by crimping on one end with the different wiring and tag them with labels. then any time you go from one type to the other you use one of them.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline sims101

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, »
But if you wireless on your lynx you only need one cable to change ;D

Offline ponddude

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, »
Dennis,

I am not sure if you saw this post I made a while back about how I did my LOR Lynx setup.  Video included...

Might I recommend leaving all your LOR controllers without the DMX firmware, leaving them "speaking LOR" and make all your Lynx equipment wireless.  It worked flawlessly for me last year and all I had to do was purchase an XLR/Cat-5 adapter.
Greg

Offline ratroder

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, »
so did you hook the lors up on a lor network and the dmx converter to the wireless transmitter on the same sequence?

Offline ponddude

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, »
I think what everyone seems to forget is the iDMX is part of the LOR network.  It is an LOR controller, the only difference is it outputs DMX.  So the iDMX was part of my LOR network and the outputs created my DMX network.  On that DMX network was the LE, a Freestyle and a DMX moving light. 

Greg

Offline ratroder

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, »
so were the lor controllers that you used last year on the dmx network?

what i am think of is if i could split the line out of the usb converter and connect on line to the idx and the other line to my first lor unit. so the lynx controllers would run on the dmx network while the lors would run off of the normal lor output (not dmx). 

Offline ponddude

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, »
My LOR controllers were not on the DMX network.  I left them "speaking LOR."  You could do what you are saying, but don't split the line.  Are you not planning on using RJ's wireless units?  They make life MUCH easier.  

A picture is worth a thousand words, so maybe this will help explain it a little bit more!  This is how my setup was last year.

Greg

Offline ratroder

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, »
ok yes that did really help, thanks. i might use the wireless unit, i am not sure. my host computer is in my basement so i don't know if i would get good signal. do you think i could put the transmitter outside?

from what i got from the picture you took the line out of the usb adaptor and plugged that into the idmx then the second plug on the idmx you used to feed the lor box, correct?

usb---------idmx first rj-45 port---------idmx second rj-45----------lor 

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, »
The Transmitter is designed to go outside. It is why it hooks to DM xso you can run dmx cable from your computer to the outside and put the Transmitter where it can reach everything. Some people are able to leave it inside and not even run cable outside but it depends on house type and where.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline ponddude

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, »
ok yes that did really help, thanks. i might use the wireless unit, i am not sure. my host computer is in my basement so i don't know if i would get good signal. do you think i could put the transmitter outside?

from what i got from the picture you took the line out of the usb adaptor and plugged that into the idmx then the second plug on the idmx you used to feed the lor box, correct?

usb---------idmx first rj-45 port---------idmx second rj-45----------lor 

yes, that is correct.  The Cat-5 connectors on the iDMX can be either in or out...doesn't matter. 

I had my TX upstairs on the second floor of my house broadcasting and didn't have a single problem last year.  I have heard/seen the ver 2 TX/RX will be even stronger, so I wouldn't be concerned about the basement.  Like RJ said, they can go outside.
Greg