Author Topic: Have I messed up my TX?  (Read 1958 times)

Offline Blackbeard

Have I messed up my TX?
« on: January 15, 2010, »
Firstly - I have an excuse - I'm old, aged, feeble, poor-sighted, etc., etc.

Secondly - there should be no excuses, but I feel better sometimes using one.

I am getting ready to test the V1 TX module I've finally got around to assembling. I have to get my PIC re-flashed, and will then test to see if I've destroyed my TX module. After reading the V2 update, I wonder if I have messed up the module itself. Here's what I did:

I read the instructions completely before beginning. I then laid them down and waited a while before starting. I then viewed the video for cutting the antenna section off of the module. I then started assembling. Unfortunately, I cut the antenna part way shorter than it was supposed to have been. Instead of making a square out of the larger trace, I made a square of the little section that connects to the larger section. Don't expect anyone to be able to visualize what I'm saying, just suffice it to say, It's about 3/16" shorter that it should have been. I don't think it cut into circuitry and I was able to solder the little wire that connects to the amp just fine. I use a real small iron. No excuse for it because the instructions clearly state that I should divide the word Microchip. I just didn't remember that part and only scanned the instructions as I assembled the module. Remember, I read them all the way through before starting!!

Anyway, my question is about the tuning part of the module that I read about in the V2 update thread. Other than maybe messing up the module due to heat and the likes, have I messed this up due to the length of the little square section? In other words, was there extensive testing done to determine that the exact length of the cutoff part of the board was necessary to provide the best tuning? Or is the tuning part just a result of the way the components work together, no matter how short the cut is?

Opinions are welcome. I already know how dim of a light bulb I am for making the improper cut, so to save space on the websight, you can forgo those opinions. I'll go ahead and test it as is, but if I've messed it up electrically, no use continuing on this module.

Thanks,

steve

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Re: Have I messed up my TX?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

Based on staring at one of mine here, and what you have written, you may be ok.  But you'll only know by trying.  If you have a good solid connection, with no solder jumpers to the wrong areas, you may not need any excuses.  Let us know how it turns out.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, »
Steve, I did the exact same thing you describe when cutting the antenna off.  I just made sure I got a good solder connection to the trace, and my TX works fine.  I'm not trying to break any range records in my setup, so can't help if that may be an issue for you.

I've got lotsa roadwork under my belt too  :D

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline Blackbeard

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, »
Thanks for the replies. I'll do the test once I get the PICs flashed, and Thaiway, thanks for being so honest about "doing the exact same thing". Makes me feel a little better.

steve

Offline Blackbeard

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, »
As a follow up :

No, I didn't mess it up. Works fine.

steve

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

Great.  You're ready for blinky and flashy...

;D

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues