Author Topic: 3 channel dmx  (Read 17921 times)

Offline bdk197

• The Keen Family Lights
3 channel dmx
« on: March 20, 2010, »
Just a note to anyone else that might be looking at these little 3 channel (RGB) DMX controllers:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I got 4 of them and although they work really good with the Lynx Dongle and Vixen what isn't listed in the ebay description is that they are set to DMX address #1. They are soft strapped in some way via the DMX input and according to the vendor their address editor is needed and cost $124 shipping included.  (alot for a $9 board that I'll probably only ever change addresses on 1 time).. If you want the address set to something else supposedly they will set it if you specify.

I haven't found anything yet that might allow me to change the address via the PC.

Offline riri7707

Re: 3 channel dmx
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, »
I saw these dmx/RGB strips since few months now en Ebay too...

Can you tell us the ref of the chip used ?

This can helps to have a better idea of the kind of protocol used...

Cheers, Henri

Offline bdk197

• The Keen Family Lights
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, »
I saw these dmx/RGB strips since few months now en Ebay too...

Can you tell us the ref of the chip used ?

This can helps to have a better idea of the kind of protocol used...

Cheers, Henri

If I'm reading it right the chip being used is a SyncMOS SM894051C253P.
They fail to mention the need of their address editor in their ebay listing as well and are not responding to my request to get these pre-addressed. Since they work good from the Lynx dongle my thought leads toward being able to readdress them if I had the proper data stream to somehow shoot at them.

Offline bdk197

• The Keen Family Lights
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, »
I heard back from snowball-co and was given a Unit price: USD 41.05 for the Model: LN -DMXID-EDITOR, Unit price: USD 6.00  for the LN -DMXBAR-3CH-LV?L=5/6/12/24?and 25.00 for shipping.

I've built up one light so far as my prototype using one of these boards and a RGB LED MR-16 replacement board sold by bigclive.com that illuminates a 6 inch white acrylic globe. The result looks pretty nice. Had 4 of these in the display last year with a single green MR-16 LED inside controlled from a D-Light DCx16. The RGB version uses 3 each color superflux LEDs and is a lot brighter than the single MR16 plus gives me the RGB ability. I've done some quick testing with Vixen and am very pleased with the results so far.

I did a quick video on the prototype using the Lynx Dongle and driving the dmx with WinAMP and DMX Control:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, by bdk197 »

Offline riri7707

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, »
Humm...
I saw the chip can be programmed by "Hi-Low" &  "Top" programmer, who are in most cases universal programmers (i have a TOP 2048, since few years...).

Having to modules with 2 different adress could help, but i'm quite sure the chip is code protected and not readeable.

Even if the modul works perfectly, it's crazy to manufacture such solution for few $, taking the user as hostage to sell 10 times more $, the programmer who will be used once.

In such case, the dealer needed to have this own programmer and ask user the desired DMX adress before shipment and deal: Honnesty...

This is not clearly mentionned and for sure, this faillure will probably cancel  most of expected deals, or the product objective is more for OEM integrators who needs to have their development tools, something who seems relevant in this case.

The real only solution will be to buy at gold price, the programmer/editor from the manufacturer...

Some times "cheapest" is the front face, but  "underground" wants your money... (same example as printers who are very low expensive, but what about the ink cartridges pricing?).

I wanted also to get some, but now regarding your experience, i'm totally iced...

I will be back to 'Lynx SSR moduls', better for me as they have 4 channels (RGBW), for my building running project of this year.

Cheers....  Henri

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, »
Was just looking at that device last night.

Thanks for the additional information.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, »
Here is one translation of the 6803s IC

« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, by Dennis Cherry »
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline bdk197

• The Keen Family Lights
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, »
Just got four 6 inch globe lights completed using the open board version of these. Here's a quick test video of all 4 running on seperate DMX addresses. Using DMXcontrol and Winamp to drive them in this video.

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, »
Very Cool , How you guys do it I'll never know GREAT JOB.

JEFF
Jeff

Offline egenoup

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, »
Now all you need to do is put a serial port monitor and "reverse" engineer what is being sent to change the unit ID...  It is silly for th company to sell you the software to make more than one device work on the same network!!!  ::)

<yk..

Offline chrisl1976

• Lights on Sixth
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, »
Now all you need to do is put a serial port monitor and "reverse" engineer what is being sent to change the unit ID...  It is silly for th company to sell you the software to make more than one device work on the same network!!!  ::)

<yk..

You dont "HAVE" to order the Editing device, Snowball will allow you to specify the addresses you want when you order.   With these units, the editor is a physical unit and not just software.   

Now I just ordered my first test unit to address 4.  We'll see if I get a unit with address 4 when it comes.
Chris

Offline bdk197

• The Keen Family Lights
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, »
Both places I got them from would pre-address them at no extra cost.  I too like the flexibility the editor gives me. It would be nice if the eBay seller would include the need of the editor in the description. Snowball was much better priced for the exact same item. It only takes seconds to readdress them.

Offline chrisl1976

• Lights on Sixth
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, »
I didn't realize that you could order them pre-programmed.  What did you pay per board with the programming?

I ordered 50 units so I thought that the $41 was peanuts for the flexibility.  I can't imagine that it would take much effort to reverse engineer the protocol used to program these units.

No extra cost, just make sure you make it clear as DMX addressing is not understood my everyone there.   For 50 units, I would get the editor also.  For the 10 I need....nah...LOL
Chris

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, »
Check out You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  The sight lists the LED strip and provide the DMX controller.  Where else can you purchase the RGB flexible strip that would work with the DMX controller?

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, »
I really like the concept David!  Thanks for sharing the video.

Is that 12VDC over 6 wires?  Can you elaborate?

John

Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester