Author Topic: Dongle V2 manual?  (Read 4990 times)

Offline rogerwh

Re: Dongle V2 manual?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, »
No wonder I was having so much of a problem.  I cringed each time I turned it up and was thinking something had to be wrong with the iron or solder.  Makes sense now.

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, »
I have soldered electronics for over 50 years. Started out with Heath Kits and worked on repairing old tube type radios and televisions.  Some using selenium rectifiers.

Now that I dated myself, my soldering station of choice is a Weller EC2000. Used by my past employers for repair work and production use.

I normally use a temperature of 700F degrees for PCB and other work and 850F degrees for soldering large components to massive land areas.

Solder of choice is SN63 either .032 or .020 diameter.  Use two different tip sizes ETA and ETB.  The SN63 solder has no plastic state, it is either a liquid or solid, makes better solder joints.

I know this soldering station is not for everyone, and they will have to pry it out of my hands kicking and screaming to try another brand.

Just my 2 cents worth.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, by Dennis Cherry »
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thats would only be 218 C so you were really cold. Try about 510 deg F (260 deg C) this will be pretty good for you and you will be a happy guy!

RJ

Thanks dennis, Yes I screwed up my temps ...  I meant 360 deg C. I punched in 260 and it spit out 510 deg F.... It is 360 deg C that I solder at and this is 680 deg F. I should have caught that when I typed it as 500 deg is not hot enough to melt solder well. So dennis and I are on the same page.  although I am new at this compared to him. Only been soldering 30 years myself.  :o

Quote from the internet : Solder iron tip temperatures are most commonly between 315-371°C (600-700°F) for Sn63Pb37.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rogerwh

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, »
My middel school  teachers always said that one day I would need to know the Celsius temperature scale.  Close to 35 years later I finally see they were right. :D

Offline rogerwh

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, »
One last issue.  I need my pics programmed and know that they is a list of folks who will do it.  Haven't started my LE's yet so I'm in no great hurry.  Should I go ahead and have them programmed or wait on the V2 firmware?

Offline Slinkard

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, »
v2 is pretty self explanitory but wondering if there is a manual yet?

I got everything in but the LED's going to go see which side is positive now .. lol I forgot.

Slink

Offline kj77rn

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, »
The long leg of the LED is positive.  On the PCB the flat side of the circle is negative.
Steve
Apopka FL