Author Topic: TLC5941NT works as replacement for TLC5940NT  (Read 2430 times)

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
Gang:

This is just to confirm Henri's (riri7707) experiments that the TI TLC59841NT works as a replacement part in the Lynx MR16 for the TLC5940NT. I finally got around to using the 41 I bought back in January in my MR16 and there seems to be no difference between the two parts (I still had a 40 in stock, so I've switched them around).

Mouser says they have ~400 of the 41 chip in stock currently, with more on the way. If you use the BOM on the wiki, just change the 40 in the part number to 41; I don't know who owns the Mouser BOM, but maybe they could change that.

Lastly, while I don't remember who said specifically that the 40 part was discontinued, my order at TI remains in effect, though they are now quoting an April 5 shipping date (for an order placed in December); the shipping date has always been about three-four weeks away and about once a week it's pushed out another 10 days. Mouser too has more than 1300 on back order with TI, though as of today Mouser's site says it was expecting all those to have shipped last Thursday.

\dmc

Offline mschell

• Christmas in Applegate
Re: TLC5941NT works as replacement for TLC5940NT
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, »
I'm one of the folks who has an outstanding order for the 40.  As with your order, they give out a planned ship date, and then revise it every month.

I'm about to call them and either cancel the order and reorder, or ask them to swap out the 41 for the 40.

I still owe you a 40 chip...
Mark
Kernersville, NC
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, »
I'm about to call them and either cancel the order and reorder, or ask them to swap out the 41 for the 40.
I think the 41s are cheaper ... yeah, 11 cents ... I'd make them change the order and send you a check for 11 cents ;) ...
I still owe you a 40 chip...

40, 41, whatever.

\dmc

Offline riri7707

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, »
Hi,
The 40NT is out of production officially by TI. The only production will be for maintenace spares on running systems using the internal memory.
This is not the case for our application.
Also  if the outputs delivered less current whit the 41NT ( exactly the same, but no memory) , it doesn't matter as it's engough to ativate the Mosfeet N Channel drivers.

I think for TI, they are waiting to get enough qty on POs, to produde their last 40NT production.. This explains de postponed delivery month after month...

Think the revenues comparing to the production cost to producte 5000 pièces...  Around $2700 revenues for TI, not more, and probably less. So until they will not reach the balance compensating the prodcution costs, they will not be available... These are the rules...

Cheers, henri ;)

Offline basis21b

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, »
I too have had success using the TLC59841NT as a replacement.  I am running the board at 24V and have not encountered any problems in my testing. 

In the interest of full disclosure, I did add a heat sink to the 7805 to keep it from going up in smoke but that is the only other alteration that has been performed.
Tom B

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, »
The replacement is TLC5941NT, not TLC59841NT.
/mike

Offline basis21b

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, »
That will teach me to copy and paste without verifying.

Thanks.
Tom B