Author Topic: LE v5 Firmware - seems like file on Wiki is bad (?)  (Read 2922 times)

Offline austindave

I built up my 4 LEs from the coop, and had the same experience others did - 3 were good, one had LED 6 partially on & the "crawl" was very slow. I pulled out my trusty Pickit3 & attempted to update the firmware on the "bad" PIC, using the hex file on the Wiki. No go. The update worked properly, but the LE continued to demonstrate the problem. Note that the checksum I was seeing was 0x22CF (which didn't match the C/S for the file on the Wiki - which is supposed to be 2171, I think). Here's the link to the hex file I was trying to use: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (this is on Equipment > Dimmers > Lynx Express > Firmware LNT).

I ultimately read the firmware from one of the good LE's (checksum 0x5B09) & wrote that to the "bad" LE. This fixed the problem.

I've attached the hex file I read from the "reference" LE (that seems to work) to this message.

Can anybody confirm what I'm seeing? Should I update the Wiki hex file (or does someone else want to do it, if the problem is verified)?

Thanks,
Dave

Austin, Texas - "BubbaLand"

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: LE v5 Firmware - seems like file on Wiki is bad (?)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, »
The checksum is correct and verified a few times.

I know the pickit2 software has to be the latest version to correctly id the checksum. Maybe see if there is an update to pickit3 software.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, »
It is very hard to walk directly into Microchip and find the programming information for the Pickit2 as Microchip changed their website significantly,  disconnecting the support information from the purchase page.   

Use  ...   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The current info on the software is here.

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline Unibits

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, »
I had the exact same problem with 1 of my pics too.  I have 3 LE from the coop. 
The second one had the issues you describe.   I too apptempted to update the FW from the wiki and no go.  I read the FW from the first PIC and wrote it to the second one.  That seemed to correct the issue.  It does not seem to make any sense to me why I can read and write but can't download and write.

It is quite a curious issue!

Four little words sum up what has lifted most successful individuals over the crowd: a little bit more. They did all that was expected of them and a little bit more.

Offline austindave

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I too apptempted to update the FW from the wiki and no go.  I read the FW from the first PIC and wrote it to the second one.

Thanks for the confirmation, Unibits!

I posted the Firmware I read from a good PIC in the first message of this topic - maybe it will help someone else who experiences the problem... I would like to hear if it works for somebody else.

--Dave

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, »
Needs to be replaced if it is corrupt with a good copy from one of the new units. Maybe this is what happend on the ones having issues, I did them in a batches each night for a few days and maybe the bad version got loaded on some.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline austindave

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, »
Thanks RJ. I'd be happy to update the FW in the Wiki - I'd just like someone to verify that the image I pulled from my good LE is sound. I'd hate to post a bad image & mess others up!

The hex file I read from my good LE is attached to the first message in this thread.

--Dave

Offline egenoup

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, »
I exported the bad code from one of the faulty PICs from the last COOP. RJ, Would you like to see the hex file?  It is definitely different.

Charles

Offline packetbob

• zappedmyself.com
I seem to be experiencing the same issue on a V5 LE that I'm reprogramming for Gary.
The firmware from the WIKI equipment page gives me a very slow bootup and the #6 LED stays light...
Tried the firmware from austindave message in this thread and it seems to work..
I'm using a PICKIT3 and tried both in circuit programming and using the adapter for out of circuit...

Mind you I have no DMX dongle or anyway to test other than the test routine and the LEDs..
And this is the first time I have used the PICKIT3 or touched a LE...

Bob
zappedmyself.com