Author Topic: Noob tastes success  (Read 1562 times)

Offline meman

Noob tastes success
« on: March 29, 2010, »
First I’d like to thank RJ and all of the heavy hitters for posting so much information and even video of the assembly process. Building the Lynx Express V5 really is a breeze and it’s become a father and son project with my 9 year old. I even had to buy a breadboard, LEDs and resistors to keep him busy while I’m doing the big stuff. He's already made a crude blinky on the side and got extra credit at school just for bringing it in and showing the class.

The only problems we’ve had so far are a bad PIC program and comical human errors caused by my haste to get it built and make some lights blink!

I finished the first of four LEs a couple of nights ago and knew something was wrong when channel 6 stayed lit and I got no scrolling on the display. I hit the this forum and found out that a problem with the PIC programming had already been identified in some of the kits in the recent coop, so I shifted gears and thought I’d play with the pic programmer (first time ever trying that too) to try and fix it. Burnt up some time on that and finally just decided to swap out the chip with one of my other kits and revisit the programmer later.  That cured the documented problem with channel 6, but still no scrolling. Checked all the solder joints, touched up a few, seated chips, but still couldn’t get it to work  ???

One thing I’ve learned over the years is that troubleshooting is a lot easier if you have a working specimen for reference, so we proceeded to build the second LE. The funniest point of the night was when my son plugged it in for the power/smoke test. Nothing; no LEDs lit, nada….then laughter. The transformer was still laying on the table…DUH <fp.

We got the rest of it together and started plugging in chips when I made another mistake and seated the SAAxxx display driver in backwards. I caught it, but this motion seemed so natural I wondered if I had done it before….sure enough, the chip was in backwards on the first LE too. Flipped it around and voila…scrolling and tests ran OK on both boards. WaHoooo!

Now I just need to get the Pic Kit figured out so I can program the Dongle and we’ll be controllin’ the Blinky

Thanks again everyone!!!

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
Re: Noob tastes success
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, »
Congratulations to both of you!!!!
It only gets better from here.

Offline lortiz

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, »
That table is way TOOOO clean!!!   ;D

Barbara Sher - "Doing is a quantum leap from imagining."

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, »
Congrats!!!

On getting the boards soldered up and working after some minor trouble shooting.

Did you read about the programmer in the LE manual? It should help you with the pic issue

Also the Wiki has been updated with the latest firmware for the LE pic

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, »
Congratulation on Ver 5 and for son & dad time, I also am new and had my 7 yr old daughter helping what a great time to be had.

Jeff
Jeff

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

And another one falls victim to success!

;D

Keith

"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, »
Great! I am so glad you guys had so much fun working on them and that you were successful in getting it working. One thing about the backwards chip is that you will never put one in backwards again as you will remember it well.  ;D

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline animationclips

• new sport
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, »
Congs...........