Author Topic: Lynx Express and Lynx USB Dongle  (Read 1658 times)

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
Lynx Express and Lynx USB Dongle
« on: April 16, 2010, »
Hi,
I was wondering if I need a Lynx USB Dongle or not. I am planning on using two Lynx Expresses with Light-O-Rama software. I don't have any LOR controllers, so I don't have to deal with them talking to each other. I am planning on running my show on my laptop and through one USB port, so my question, how do I hook things up, using the dongle or some other way?

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jesse

P.S. I will use Vixen, but I really want to sync my lights to videos, and LOR is so much easier when it comes to videos.
2011 Plans:
   - Second year for dimmable animation
   - 184 Channels of Blinky Flashy :D
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights
It's gonna be fun!! :D

Offline kj77rn

Re: Lynx Express and Lynx USB Dongle
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, »
Check this post from ponddude.  This is the best instruction I've seen on here for what you want.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Steve
Apopka FL

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, »
I mazy be wrong but doing that seems like the hardest way to do it.  If you are using Ver 1 of LOR, then you will need to buy the IDMX unit which is $$$$$$.  I don't know anything about Ver 2 and have heard that it supports DMX but it still may require an IDMX unit to communicate with external DMX devices.  It would be much more cost effective to go with the lynx dongle and either LSP or Vixen.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, »
Hi jem5136

I agree with tbone321 take a look at LSP which is close to d-link and lor software.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

So use your computer - Software LSP? - Lynx Dongle - Lynx Express

just my 2 cents (maybe less??)

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline fasteddy

• WWW.AVERYEDDYXMAS.com
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, »
Your best scalable option is to goto LSP for the future, with RGB pixels starting to come out, the channel count will start to increase dramatically in the next few years, for every 512 channels used you will have to spend $260 for an IDMX to run DMX (that's less than 4 CCRs per DMX universe) .

or you can pay $90 for LSP, and approx $60 for each Lynx DMX dongle and still run your LOR equipment through an LOR network at the same time. LSP will give you some great RGB & matrix tools as well. Its a bit different to LOR2 but I am really starting to like it a lot, its the best choice by far if you want to have an LOR network and a DMX network especially if your making that transition to DMX equipment which i am doing.

For me I'm using the LOR equipment on an LOR network and will be using the Tiger 48 channel DC controllers (when they are available) in a DMX network. Also LOR DMX addressing can take some getting used to.

Adding to that LSP will also do video easily as well and also let you choose which monitor to use so if your planning on using LOR just because of the video option then you really need to download the demo version of LSP and see if thats fits the bill
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, by fasteddy »

Never argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Offline ponddude

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, »
jems...

Just realize that no matter what version of the LOR software you want to use you will still need the iDMX.  Remember what the iDMX does...it creates the DMX universe, just like the dongle.  The software has nothing to do with it.  LOR no longer supports LOR1, so I don't even know if you can use the new firmware features of the iDMX, which is far greater than any other DMX dongle.  The problem is, the iDMX is expensive.  There was lots of talk about at PC version (or DIY version) of the iDMX, but I haven't heard much about that and LOR isn't so keen on giving out information about upcoming products. 

As all the guys stated above, there are other types of software out there that allow you to use video and DMX.  If money is an option you should probably go that route.  However, if you still want to use your LOR equipment with the LYNX stuff, like I am doing, that the iDMX is a must.
Greg

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, »
I have downloaded LSP demo, and I do like the software, but it seems to run a little slow on my computer, almost like my graphics card completely sucks and it isn't that bad of a card, Idk if it is just the computer or what, but because it can import LOR sequences, my thought was, could I just do my basic syncing in LOR2 and import it into LSP and run the show with LSP?
2011 Plans:
   - Second year for dimmable animation
   - 184 Channels of Blinky Flashy :D
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights
It's gonna be fun!! :D

Offline fasteddy

• WWW.AVERYEDDYXMAS.com
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, »
I have downloaded LSP demo, and I do like the software, but it seems to run a little slow on my computer, almost like my graphics card completely sucks and it isn't that bad of a card, Idk if it is just the computer or what, but because it can import LOR sequences, my thought was, could I just do my basic syncing in LOR2 and import it into LSP and run the show with LSP?

I agree that LSP does run a bit slow, I'm anxiously awaiting an update in the hope that the guys improve on this and some of the other issues that are stopping this software from being awesome.
You can definitely do what your saying as LSP can both import and export LOR files (I don't think the demo exports to LOR) If your not doing any fancy RGB effects or Matrix's, then going down this route could work out well for you. It sounds like you already have the LOR S2 licence, If you don't then just go with LSP, no use spending further bucks on software when you don't have LOR equipment.  LSP will improve over the coming months.

Did you set up LSP to run on a low end system when you installed it? If not then go to options and select configuration and then use the setup wizard to set the software to low end computer.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience