Author Topic: Setting the start address  (Read 2367 times)

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
Setting the start address
« on: April 20, 2010, »
I finished assembling 4 MR16 boards; and setting the starting channel numbers definitely turned out to be the hardest part. I wanted the start channels to be 301, 317, 333, and 349.

I started out by using the LE utility (as suggested in a recent post). This got one of the boards set correctly. Then I tried using the Vixen method as suggested in the Wiki documentation. This got 2 more set. But I could not get the final board set to 301. It got set to channel 1 many times and I got it set to 201 once. I even tried reprogramming the PIC. Finally, while verifying that all 4 PIC's were programmed correctly, I noticed that after the address was set, program memory at location A00 changed. Even though the value at that location didn't equal the start address value, I did notice a pattern:

Start AddrA00 Value
3173FFF
3334FFF
3495FFF

So I manually edited program memory location A00 for my "301" PIC to "2FFF" (since this fit the pattern), and clicked the Write button. Plugged the PIC into the board, applied power, and voila! It responded to start channel 301 ! Neither the LE utility nor Vixen were required.

Matt
Matt Brown
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline egenoup

Re: Setting the start address
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, »
I need the same information for the Freestyle...  I can't get the FS to take the address change.  Anyone?    <pop..

Charles

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, »
Running into the same problems with 2 MR16 boards, tried the WIKI method in Vixen, tried the Lynx Address utility, the LE utility was no help either. Is anyone using channels 65 and or 81 for start channels that could give the program memory location A00 value to me so I could program it in the PIC? Any help is appreciated, Thanks,

Bill

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, »
Running into the same problems with 2 MR16 boards, tried the WIKI method in Vixen, tried the Lynx Address utility, the LE utility was no help either. Is anyone using channels 65 and or 81 for start channels that could give the program memory location A00 value to me so I could program it in the PIC? Any help is appreciated, Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill,

First thing to do is grab the latest version of the firmware from the wiki. Program the pic and the try to set the start address. A earlier version of the firmware didn't have address of 1 in it. This cause problems setting the address.

Once that is done

Start the lynx address utility. set the start address and click the program button

connect the black power lead
plug in power supply
connect red power lead
Count to 3 or 5
move jumper to program
pull red power lead
move jumper back to operate
connect red power lead

test to see if mr16 is working on the correct channel

let me know if that works

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, »
Yep Rick, that did it, Thank you,

Bill

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, »
Yep Rick, that did it, Thank you,

Bill

Cool

Glad I was able to help

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, »
First so I can make sure we are all on the same page the LE config utility will not work on anything but LE's. You need the address utility to set the addresses on these items.  This has been a point of issue before.

As far as addressing via the programmers you can do this and I know I have posted this before. I would get the info for the Freestyle for you but my office is in remodel at this time and so no access to the computer with the info on it for the address. I will get it for you as soon as I can but it will be a week or so and I bet someone can find the posts with it by then.

It is important as rick pointed out to have the current firmware cause it fixed addressing issues on these items.

Hope this helps

Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, »
A request then, as I missed the difference in the checksum for the hex file. Is it possible to use a rev date in the hex file name such as 2010-05-03 LynxMR16SA1.hex, instead of just the name of the component, i.e. LynxMR16SA1.hex. That would make it easier for ID 10 T's like me who missed the checksum difference to know they had the right file. Just a suggestion,

Bill