Author Topic: Weller Soldering Iron Problems  (Read 1385 times)

Offline tmtfield

Weller Soldering Iron Problems
« on: April 05, 2010, »
Has anyone ever had any issues with Weller soldering irons shutting of by themselves?

I just purchased a new WESD51 and it will shut off after 15-20 minutes of use. I can reset it, and then it will operate for another 5 minutes or so. Each time I reset it, the time that it operates shrinks. 

This happens regardless of temperature setting while working or letting the iron sit idle. I know that it is equipped with an auto-off feature, but that is set for 99 minutes. I have searched the net for troubleshooting tips, but there is very little out there for this concern.

Thanks
Tim
Debating with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead

Tim

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Weller Soldering Iron Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, »
Hi Tim,

That doesn't sound right. I would return it as a defect. I have used my Weller station for an hour at a time with no shut down.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, »
Maybe try resetting the unit, per Weller;

RESET STATION TO FACTORY DEFAULT SETTINGS
With the station power turned ?Off?, adjust the temperature set knob to the lowest setting: 350°F (177°C). Apply the Lockout Pencil
to the ESD symbol on the front panel and turn the station ?On?. Remove the Lockout Pencil and the procedure is complete. Any tip
temperature ?Offset? programmed into the memory will now be reset to the nominal factory settings. Lockout will also be cleared.

If not, like Rick said, return it as defective, I haven't had one bit of problem with the same station,

Bill

Full instructions:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tmtfield

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, »
Thanks Gents

I was toying with the idea of returning it earlier today. Guess I will see how easy it is to return something through Amazon.com. <fp.

Bill;

I did try to reset it as the manual indicated through the ESD, but no luck.
I am going to call the repair department at Cooper Tools tomorrow.

Thanks again

Tim
Debating with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead

Tim

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, »
It sounds like either the transformer is overheating or the thermal shutdown protecting the transformer is defective.  I would look into contacting Weller directly and give them the symptoms.  It might be something as simple as replacing the heating element and they should send you that for free.  Also make sure that the coolng vents are not blocked and that any protective plastic film on the body of the unit was removed.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline tmtfield

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, »
Update;

I did get the soldering station working, and now have the smell of flux filling the workshop.
Weller was a little slow in getting back to me, so I took it apart.
To my surprise there was a second ESD just to the right of the iron's cord. I fired up the unit with the magnet on this ESD, and it went through some type of self test or reset. After that, the unit has been fine. Already completed 2 dongles, and 1.5 LE's

All is good ;D
Thanks for the input Gents
Tim

Tim