Author Topic: Freestyle crossfire  (Read 3780 times)

Offline Caliente Christmas

Freestyle crossfire
« on: April 29, 2010, »
Freestyle crossfire:

I need some guidance:

Issue when channel 1 is turn on channel 7 come on. and I have some other channel doing the same thing.

I am not sure what to look for.

any suggestions.
 <md.. Caliente Christmas <md..

Offline memphislights

Re: Freestyle crossfire
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, »
Well, in the LE's I have seen a few causes.

Most likely is a cold solder joint on one or more of the triacs.  In the FS case, possibly on one of the triacs in the SSRs.  Have you tried swapping out a different SSR to see if it gets any better?  I would guess that it could also be a cold solder joint on the FS as well.

If you are using LEDs, then cross firing can occur during fading if you don't have a snubber resistor somewhere in the line.

If it is at or below freezing, I got misfiring due to the "old" 3.3v regulator misbehaving as it reached freezing.  This is probably not real likely right now.

It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, »
Along with what memphislights said I would check the Octal D Flip-Flop chip above the rj-45 1&2 for soldering problems.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, »
Cold solder, I am not sure that the problem;  i tried different ssr and the issue is still the same. i am getting open signal to channel 7 when i turn on channel 1.  I leave in a warm area so i don't think the cold issue here.  

I am not  using LEDS.  but i do know what you mean about the fading.  but this is just a full on/off  testing.  

What i am seeing is that when i have certain channels on,  the signal turns on other channels that is across from them.  I looked at the solder and those seem to be okay.  I will take pictures later and show them.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well, in the LE's I have seen a few causes.

Most likely is a cold solder joint on one or more of the triacs.  In the FS case, possibly on one of the triacs in the SSRs.  Have you tried swapping out a different SSR to see if it gets any better?  I would guess that it could also be a cold solder joint on the FS as well.

If you are using LEDs, then cross firing can occur during fading if you don't have a snubber resistor somewhere in the line.

If it is at or below freezing, I got misfiring due to the "old" 3.3v regulator misbehaving as it reached freezing.  This is probably not real likely right now.

I will pull the flip-flop chips and check them.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, by Caliente Christmas »

Offline memphislights

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, »
If you tried a different SSR, and it did the same thing, then I would look further up the chain at the FS.  I guess this is where my troubleshooting ends, since I don't have a FS.

It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, »
I would look for  a solder bridge or cold solder joint around the output of the channel decoder.
R,
Tony "C"

Offline rm357

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, »
OK...
If 1 and 7 are firing together, how about 9 and 15 (17&23, 25&31, etc)?

If not, swap out the 74HCT273 next to the #2 RJ45 plug. If that doesn't fix it, look for solder bridges around that IC and RJ45 plugs 1 and 2.

If 9 and 15 are firing together as well, then you need to look at all of the '273 ICs and the PIC for a solder bridge.

Also, be sure that the Freestyle board is on a non-conductive surface or mounted in the box when you are doing your testing.

The 74HCT273 ICs basically buffer 8 channels of triggers (for the SSRs) each. The 74HCT4514 selects which of the 16 '273 ICs is active at any one time.

Good luck!
RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Freestyle crossfire
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, »
bumping this up
I need some guidance: Older freestyle board that i bought from knguyen916 this board required a jump in the back
Issue when channel 1 is turn on channel 7 come on. and I have some other channel doing the same thing.
1 and 7 are firing together, and 9 and 15 (17&23, 25&31, etc)?
I am not sure what to look for.

I never had any issues with LE's but knguyen916 suggested this.
according to your thread there are some good advices. I advise to retouch all the pins on the freestyle and also check your SSR4s. I had this issue with my other freestyle and the LE's do this as well and I did a touch up. IT solved the problem most of the time.

Do you have any suggestions i am at a loss.  .

I have retouched the pins swapped out the chips with another freestyle that works 100%.

thank you RJ what a great year is has been

Offline rm357

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, »
Can you take some high res pics of both sides of the board and post them. Many of the folks here have a keen eye for spotting solder bridges and other issues.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, »
Please check that you dongle is set for 1 to 512 on the channels assigned to the plug in. Make sure the seqence is set for as many channels as you are using.  I will take a look at my stuff on the FS to see if i can come up with anything on the hardware to look for.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, »
The dongle is set up correctly, I have another Freestyle with the same channel setting 1-128 that works perfectly, so it has something to do with the board. I will take a picture of the board. as I mentioned the board is one of the older once that need a trace connection 
here is a link  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to the trace that was done to the board.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, »
I took a quick look and it looks to me that you must have a bridge on the pic chip. Look at pin 24 & 25 on the pic 18f2455. With the pcb upright in normal direction the left side 4th and 5th pin up from the bottom of the pic chip.

If it is shorted to each other anywhere on the pcb then this will happen.

If you do not find it there look at each of  74hct273 chips for bridges.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying