Author Topic: Wireless COOP--HELP  (Read 2924 times)

Offline richardb

Wireless COOP--HELP
« on: May 02, 2010, »
I guess I need a bit of help...
Can someone point me to an explaination of the various Wireless options, and some commentary...
Unless I am correct, in which case maybe this will help those who are confused also...

Kit 1 – Version 2 Tx/Rx Parts Kit
Kit 2 – Version 2 Tx/Rx PCB
Kit 3 – Version 2 TX/RX Case
**************'
1, 2, & 3 are all needed to make a complete "device", Correct?
And this device can be used to transmit the data from either a USB Dongle or from an express to another receiver...
This device can also be switched to RECEIVE and drive a chain of Express controllers,
This device can not attach directly to the Header Pins on an Express...
and is the most versitle, because it can do both... but not mountable directly to the Express Header...
**************'

Kit 4 – Version 2 LE/RX Parts Kit (Lynx Express Receiver)
Kit 5 – Version 2 LE/RX PCB
4 & 5 are both needed to make a complete "device", correct?
This is a RECEIVE only "module" that attaches directly to an Express receiver...
It can drive a single express, or that express can be chained to others..which are driven by its receive signal...
Without Kit 6, below, it has no other function but to mount on an Express and RECEIVE...

Kit 6 – LE/RX Header Pin (Allows LE/RX to be used with other Lynx gear like the MR16 Controller, SSR4…etc…)
Self Explanitory...

So,
Am I confused?
Please clairfy any misconceptions I may have,
Thanks

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Re: Wireless COOP--HELP
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

You are technically correct.   ;D

The Transmitter/Receiver in TX mode is needed if you are going to have wireless.  Just as you need a Dongle to make a DMX stream.  The TX can be placed anywhere at the end of a DMX stream, after the Dongle, or after a LE or other device that has a DMX connection going out of it.  It will then transmit the DMX.

The LE/RX is convenient, since so many LE units are out there now, and in the future.  The Kit 6 allows other devices to use it, and fit in cases with just a short set of jumper wires to make the connections. 

Having the TX/RX as one unit does allow you to have a "spare", in case Rudolph steps on a TX, while using the RX portion as a spare RX also.  Two kits in one!

Keith

"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, »
riddle me this....

Could I use one TX to transmit and one RX to receive on a express in the center of my yard and then run cat5 to the other expresses?  I know this would not make them all wireless but it would save me from running one inside the house to the outside.

Ron
My 2010 Videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

Yep, that would work, as long as you can run the cat5 where you need it, from LE to LE, etc.  V3 LE and higher versions have a DMX out with the LE/RX unit, or use the stand alone TX/RX unit and plug in the first LE to it, giving you 2 DMX outs per LE, V3 and higher.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, »
The way that I picture a wireless layout is that a transmitter and one reciever  can be used to replace a cat5 cord.    This  means that as long as you have DMX being output through an RJ45 connector...   then you can plug in the transmitter.  

At that point the world is your oyster as you can have the receiver and controllers anywhere that you can get electricity,   only limited by the range of the transmitter, the sensitivity of the receiver, and the nature/size of obsticles directly in the line between the two antennas.    

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline foodseller

• Celebrating CHRISTmas-one light at a time!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, »
Richardb and all,
First thank you Richard for asking the question so clearly! I have been wanting to ask but couldn't even wrap my mind around the question let alone the answer!!!

To everyone else a big thank you!  You all have no idea how much this cleared it up for me and helped me realize that I don't need a separate receiver for each LE (those that are linked real close to each other especially) You just saved me a ton of money and this will will now hit in the budget area that SWMBO doesn't know about!!  (insert evil laugh here!)

Again my respect and thanks to all that contributed to this thread and to this forum!

I remain humbly yours,
foody
Up to three channels now!!! Flashlight in each hand and one on my hat!

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, »
One other thing to note is that a TX or RX needs an external power supply / wall wart so count on another outlet being available and at least for me, weather protecting that wall wart.  An LE/RX gets its power from the LE.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline richardb

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, »
I really appreciate all of the responses.
It allowed me to clarify what I needed to know, and also assisted others in understanding.
Thanks!!!
I should be taking up residence in my new house mid may and can't wait to plan out my fun.

Richard

Offline baddawg

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, »
Thanks for the great information...  However, I have another question or two.  Being completely new to this, I have started the process of ordering parts for a dongle.  I have have ordered a dongle pcb from RJ, and am getting ready to order all the parts from mouser.   I plan on getting in on the coop for a couple of LEs to start and want to know what wireless kits I need to make them all work together.  Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Doug

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, »
I plan on getting in on the coop for a couple of LEs to start and want to know what wireless kits I need to make them all work together.

Doug:

You'll need at least one TX/RX board and (if "couple of LEs" means "two") at least two LE/RX boards.

The co-op prices on the parts kits for both are probably going to end up being 10-20 percent less than if you bought the parts directly from a supplier, so you should probably buy the kits as well. And while you can probably find a cheap case for the TX/RX, the fact that the kit cases come with the holes and posts already fitted makes the $5 price for one more than worthy.

Personally, I'm buying two TX/RXs in order to have a spare in the event the primary dies during the lighting season. If your show depends upon wireless, you should probably have a spare backup transmitter. I am also buying a spare LE/RX for the same reason.

And, you'll need at least two sets of header pins.

So, assuming you buy the kits and buy the spares, your order would look like this:

Kit 1 -- 2
Kit 2 -- 2
Kit 3 -- 2
Kit 4 -- 3
kit 5 -- 3
Kit 6 -- 3

HTH.

\dmc

Offline austindave

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, »
Just one thing to add to DMC's response... Depending on where you're planning to mount your LE's (like if you're going to put them side-by-side), you *could* get away with only one "active" LE/RX kit & run cat5 between the two LE's. The LE with the LE/RX in it would receive the wireless signal and then would pass the DMX on to the second LE via the hardwired cable. That way, you'd only need one active TX and one active LE/RX kit (any back up "spares" would, of course, be additional).

If you have some spare ethernet cables lying around, this could save you a few bucks.

Hope I didn't confuse anyone...

--Dave
Austin, Texas - "BubbaLand"

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, »
baddawg,

Just to add a little more info, since you already have the dongle you will just  need the following:

One set of these:  ( but like dmaccole mentioned I like a back up so two would be nice)

Kit 1 – Version 2 Tx/Rx Parts Kit
Kit 2 – Version 2 Tx/Rx PCB
Kit 3 – Version 2 TX/RX Case

This will make up the full transmitter kit sssy. This is needed to transmit the DMX signal from the Dongle.  This will be connected to the output of the dongle
you will need at least one set of these.

Now you need a reciever and it is up to you how you go about it but you will need atleast one Assy (kit 4 & 5) as listed below.

Kit 4 – Version 2 LE/RX Parts Kit (Lynx Express Receiver)
Kit 5 – Version 2 LE/RX PCB

This is the plug in module assy the plugs into the Lynx Express and will receive the DMX signal from the transmitter above.  I say at least one because you can daisy chain the other Express units via CAT 5 cable as long as they are connected to the Express unit that has a receiver  assy (kit 4 &5).

However if the Express will not be close by or you do not wish to run any CAT 5 cables then you will need a receiver assy (Kit 4 & 5) for each Express unit you are running.

Remember you can mix and match.

Example:  You have 7 Express units and have two places in your yard that are far apart.  You can do the following:

Have Two wireless Express units  with the receiver assy (Kit 4&5)

Place one wireless unit  with (Kit 4&5) installed in one part of your yard and dasy chain 3 more Express units via CAT 5

Place the other wireless unit  with (Kit 4&5) installed in the other place in your yard and dasy chain the last two Express units via CAT 5

Hope it helps
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, by Rod R »

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, »
You don't need any Kit 6.  Those are only needed if you want to put an RX/EX in something other than an LE.
/mike

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, »
You don't need any Kit 6.  Those are only needed if you want to put an RX/EX in something other than an LE.

As always, Mike is correct. Sorry for the erroneous listing ...

\dmc